Czech League football 2016 and on

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by ASU55RR, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Plzen's last 3 away match:

0:4 Slavia
    0:3 Jablonec
    0:5 Roma

They've done okay at home, but their many weaknesses - especially a defense that is incapable of handling teams that can press with pace - are becoming quite clear. They've had 3 appearances in Champions League in the last 7 years and have spent something like 5 Million total Euros on transfer fees for current players which is 2 things:
    1) kind of impressive
    2) inadequate if they want to continue competing beyond their current aging core

The Roma result wasn't even the worst for them today, CSKA (the team they hoped to battle for 3rd and gave up a 90 +4 goal against to lose 2 points) beat Real Madrid.

2. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Olayinka apparently couldn't get a visa to enter Russia so Slavia are playing Matousek (more naturally an attacking mid) at striker again vs Zenit.

They are playing fairly well though in what is likely their toughest away fixture of the group stages, just hit the woodwork a moment ago. I would say they are the best equipped team from our league to succeed in Europe.

3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    2nd half has more or less been target practice for Slavia... unfortunately much like against Bordeaux this is something they need to practice.

The lack of healthy proven 9 is showing against.

They just subbed off Matousek for Baluta, so straight switch of out of position midfielder for out of position midfielder. This was the first time since moving to Slavia that Matousek really showed the flashes of greatness that he had at Pribram in August. May finally be adjusting to Slavia's style.

4. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I tuned in at the start of the second half just to watch Matousek and he's subbed off within 5 minutes after a really promising play... Slavia seem to be controlling the game from what I've seen.

5. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Definitely agree about Slavia being the most well-rounded Czech team. I wouldn't expect Plzen or Sparta to look this dominant against Bordeuax or Zenit.

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Their finishing really needs some work though, if they get that sorted out they could easily compete for well into the knockout rounds in Europa League. This is a tough group and they've looked the best team so far. They are out shooting Zenit something like 20-4 but the score is still 0-0.

Matousek's last action before being subbed was the 2nd time he sort of made a shot for himself like that, but for the first time he also showed some good link up play instead of being purely counterattacking.

7. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Wouldn't be a proper European campaign from a Czech club without conceding goals like that.

8. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The lack of options up front is further highlighted as Frydrych is brought on as an attacking substitute. I think every time I've watched Slavia this season, this exact change has been made for this reason.

And now Deli is on.

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #159 ASU55RR, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Win their home matches & get some strikers healthy and they should be fine, but yes a very rough way to concede after being dominant. Olayinka was their biggest summer signing and he's barely played due to injury so be interesting to see what they look like when he is healthy.

I do think they should have left Matousek on and put Baluta on for either Traore or Zmrhal. They needed more potential scorers not a straight swap.

10. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Not really paying as much attention as in the Slavia match, but seems that Jablonec - Dynamo Kyiv first half summary is basically:

- Jablonec started afraid of their bigger named opponent and conceded two ridiculously easy goals early
    - About 25 minutes in they snap out of it and start actually playing
    - They Score one back and hit the woodwork on a potential equalizer right before half

11. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Full time Jablonec 2- 2 Dynamo Kyiv

Considering how they started a decent result. Travnik, Masopust and Jovovic are good attacking players, but their defense is to say the least suspect. That group is still wide open.

12. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #162 ASU55RR, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Watched a bit of Sparta vs. Olomouc which ended in 1-0 victory for Sigma, as a Brno fan it's kind of fun watching Sural play so bad for Sparta.Why on earth he's in the current selection I don't understand. He's barely a national team player at his best and he is in terrible form right now (many Sparta fans are calling for him to be benched).

Other results so far this weekend
    Mlada Boleslav 2 - 2 Ostrava
    Zlin 0 - 1 Liberec

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slavia 4 - 1 Pribram was a very entertaining match. Trpisovsky went with Matousek up front with Baluta behind (what he should have done in the 2nd half of the Europa League match). Pribram can play a fun style too but just don't have enough talent to consistently get results especially post-Matousek.

Other results today:

Jablonec 2 - 0 Slovacko
    Opava 0 - 1 Bohemians
    Viktoria Plzen 1- 0 Teplice
    Karvina 0 - 2 Dukla

14. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi guys. Taking my first trip to CZ this weekend and looking to go to a match. Unfortunately, all the Prague teams are away while I'm there. Is it fairly easy to ride a train up to Mlada Boleslav (Bohemians away) from Central Prague and back for a match, as well as getting tickets at the gate, etc? Thanks for the advice.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I assume that means you'll be gone by the Slavia - Dukla match Monday?

I think bus is actually the fastest way to get from Prague to Mlada Boleslav from my quick search, the buses leave from Cerny Most near the end of Metro Line B. By train it's a little over an hour but the service is somewhat infrequent. I would imagine there will be some tickets available, but Mlada Boleslav's stadium is quite small so I would check in advance.

If your schedule allows, you might also consider the Plzen match on Sunday afternoon, trains are more frequent (hourly) and it's about a 90 minute trip from what I recall. Better atmosphere and team.

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I was watching the Lyon match, but Plzen apparently played fairly well despite coming up short in Madrid.

They lost to Real Madrid 2-1.

17. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slavia and Jablonec with important Europa League matches today.

Jablonec have just the 1 point from 2 matches but have been playing well the last few weeks and have a must win at home against current group leader Astana if they want a chance to advance.

A Slavia win at Copenhagen would put them in a fairly commanding position considering their remaining fixtures (2 home and away against the weakest team), but they should definitely want at least a point to have less pressure in their home matches with Zenith and Copenhagen.

18. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Approaching the half-hour mark for Copenhagen - Slavia. Boring match from the sound, Slavia had about a 60-40 possession advantage last they showed but neither team has produced a particularly good chance yet.

19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    HT 0-0

Last 15 tilted more to the home side as the match opened up, but all and all a toothless half for both sides. Slavia are playing much more cautious than in the last away match, perhaps out of concern for what ultimately happened in Russia.

20. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Goal Slavia, Matousek gets his first since moving from Pribram in September.

Not his typical spectacular athletic goal, rather just a good simple finish when finding space off a cross. While he's not had the highlights and bad luck in front of goal I do think Slavia is making him more than a counterattacking player.

21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Approaching 80 minutes, Slavia still the one goal lead and still a boring match. Copenhagen have had 0 shots on target so far, which it must be said is impressive work by the Slavia defense.

Slavia though really not doing much with the ball.

22. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slavia held on to win, they almost had the perfect results day as Bordeaux - Zenit were tied until late, but Zenit managed a winner. The new group standings:

Won Draw Lost Goal difference Points
    FC Zenit 2 1 0 4 7
    SK Slavia Praha 2 0 1 1 6
    FC København 1 1 1 0 4
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux 0 0 3 -3 0

Slavia has to feel fairly good about their position, they have home matches remaining against Zenit and Copenhagen, and are away against a Bordeaux team that has looked out of their depth so far in this group.

23. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Jablonec have gone ahead in their match less than 5 minutes in. This is must win for them since they started slowly. Group is still wide open though.

24. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Jablonec have 10+ minutes to find a winner, they gave up an equalizer almost as quickly as they went up. They've had far more of the ball, but Astana have mostly done well to contain Travnik which takes away a lot of Jabolnec's attack.

25. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Another draw for Jablonec, advancement isn't lost yet but they are now in a tough spot with away matches remaining against Astana and Kyiv.

FC Astana 5
    FC Dynamo Kyiv 5
    Stade Rennais FC 3
    FK Jablonec 2