Czech League football 2016 and on

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by ASU55RR, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's a shame they weren't drawn into a more average group as I think they could have made it at least into the 3rd place Europa League track.

It was the group of death and they stayed competitive in every match, so in that regard a good showing. Desperately need better finishing though. Masopust missed so many clear scoring chances in Champions League you could almost blame him for Slavia's inability to get more results.

2. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    Masopust missed a chance again, but so did Soucek so it's a team issue. The real problem against Inter was how much of a step down Frydrych is compared to Hovorka. Doesn't matter in the league because we are a different level from the competition even with injuries and no proven goal scorer.

3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I don't think I've ever seen a team be so consistently bad at finishing as Slavia is in Champions League. Olayinka at least put that header on target but too close to the keeper.

The biggest gap between they and their opponents is when Dortmund breaks through they are composed and score.

4. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    They've finally forced a few legit saves, but Burki has been equal.

Kolar also stepping up for Slavia on occasion. Entertaining match, but again Slavia not having much luck

5. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Finally for Slavia, a great break through that Soucek puts away. Would be nice if they could get at least a point as a send off for a solid campaign in a tough group.

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Petr Sevcik is a bit of an enigma, if he was younger you'd excuse his inconsistency in favor of potential, but at his age he is just an infuriating case of sometimes great and sometimes awful... today he is awful.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    And the bad finishing is back....

8. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Dortmund 2 - 1 Slavia

The story was largely familiar, although in this case at least Dortmund's keeper was forced to make some big saves instead of just missing chances (though there were a few of those too. Good experience for Slavia who defied a lot of expectation that minus Deli, MNN, Stoch and Kral wouldn't be able to maintain their level from last season and if anything look better.

I think they are so built on their system and finding players for it that as long as they have Trpisovsky will be a uniquely formidable side by Czech league standards. That said, if they want to have success in Champions League next year they need 2 things 1) a proven goalscorer and 2) a better draw...

They will also most likely will need to replace Soucek and Kolar, although as I said they seem to do well back-filling their roster.