Czech League football 2016 and on

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by ASU55RR, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Plzen have packed it and gone way to defensive...

Just as I say that they conced on a freekick. Probably Antwerp's only shot of the day. This is completely on Vrba, he packed it in way too early against an opponent that was dead in the water - 10 men and hadn't shown anything all match.

2. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    FT Plzen 2 - 1 Antwerp (2-2a)... at least Plzen had the decency to grab some points on their way out. Vrba smacked his head so hard it cut open when Plzen conceded, and frankly he deserves it with how they blew that. The players deserve credit too, they should have put that way in regulation multiple times.

Slavia will be the only Czech team in a group stage this season, the only consolation is that in a 5 year coefficient score we are replacing our previous worst year with this.

3. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    We finally started Stanciu and finally looked like the team we were last season. Yeah it was just Budejovice, but we had about 30 shots on goal, and we have finally got our star match-ready.

The rest of the league seems to be completely down so we can probably walk to a championship. It's all about a Champion's League though.

4. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    As a neutral that is more concerned about league coefficient, part of me would rather see Slavia in Europa League... I'm sure fans disagree.

5. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    I like that the lineup has Stanciu with Traore and Soucek behind him. I am less thrilled by Van Buren and Olayinka starting, but sometimes they surprise us.

6. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    We are wearing some horrible green uniform, its apparently our 3rd option kit

7. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    No goal yet, but much like last weekend this looks much more like last seasons team. Cluj are on the back foot more often than not, but they always are looking to counter. So still nervous

8. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    There is the goal! Masopust with the volley from outside the box, nicely placed.

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It was a nice strike, but really should have been saved by any decent keeper. I'm not very impressed by Cluj so far though, so I am liking Slavia's chances even more.

I still doubt his ability in bigger matches, but will admit that Hovorka is exceeding expectations lately.

Slavia_do_toho repped this.
  10. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    Hovorka and Olayinka are both having a better half than normal.

11. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    At halftime on the road we have 62% possession and a 10-4 shot advantage. We also have complete over 100 more passes... I actually think Cluj look worse than anyone we played in Europa League, so now I wish we had played Celtic since they are both even worse and more famous.

12. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Cluj pressing much more in the 2nd half, and Slavia not doing the best job of handling it. One of those situations where I think as long as they survive the first fifteen it will start tilting the other way.

13. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    Cluj keep playing rough then trying to dive...

14. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    Kolar you wonderful man!

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Kolar is having an excellent season honestly, big penalty save. Slavia though just aren't doing much in the final third this half.

If they go back to Prague with the lead you have to like their chances though.

16. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    Full time, I would have rather seen us apply more pressure in the 2nd half but nobody ever feels bad about an away goal advantage.

17. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Lackluster match, I think Slavia will advance, but even when they were in control it just seemed half-speed.

18. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    Interesting line-up today as we are basically our entire starting lineup from the Champions League. Glad to see Baluta and Yusuf getting a chance to start.

Looking across the league there are some weird upset results, hoping Bohemians don't get any ideas.

19. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    Wow, the goalkeeper we are starting is 17, either he has a bright future or we don't respect Bohemians at all.

We're ahead, but for the most part we look like a team playing an experimental lineup.

20. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Got his first clean sheet too, but it doesn't sound like he was called into much action.

I only caught the first half, but they were easily the worst part of the line-up especially Yusuf who looked very clumsy up front. I have seen Baluta do well as a sub for Slavia last season, but Yusuf after a fast start with Bohemians last season has looked a bit out of his depth in Czech league.

21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Pribram 4 - 0 Jablonec o_O
    Zlin 1 - 4 Karvina :eek:
    Liberec 3 - 1 Sparta :laugh:
    Slavia 4 - 0 Bohemians
    Plzen 4 - 0 Opava
    Mlada Boleslav 4 - 2 Ceske Budejovice
    Olomouc 2 - 0 Teplice
    Ostrava 3 - Slovacko

Odd weekend with a lot of lop-sided results favoring predicted relegation teams.

Sparta hot-seat undoubtedly gets hotter. The brightest part of the season so far is probably that Adam Hlozek has confirmed that last spring was no fluke. Have to think he will be drawing international interest soon as Man City and Bayern Munich wanted him while still a youth player and now he is a key player having just this month turned 17.

Signs of life from Plzen who had an awful few weeks

Slavia are clearly the class of the league still even with their questionable transfer window, and for as much as people (like me) said their defense would be a disaster... they've conceded just one goal in the first month of the season throughout all competitions.

22. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    Yusuf was bad all match, but Baluta played much better in the 2nd half.

23. Slavia_do_toho

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Apr 21, 2019
    Philadelphia
    I'm both nervous and confident about qualifying for Champions League today.

24. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Masopust just missed a fairly simple chip that would have seen off the tie...

Was a back and forth start, but Slavia seem to be taking control as the half goes on, need better delivery on set pieces though.

25. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Kral probably just got away with an elbow in the box... then at the other end Skoda heads it just wide. Cluj would have felt justifiably aggrieved if that had gone in.