Czech 2nd division and beyond 2007/08 [R]

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Canadian_Supporter, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    According to the CMFS here are the clubs who will compete in the 2nd division this season.

Jihlava
    Hradec Kralove
    Dukla Praha (promoted from 5th division)
    Usti nad Labem
    Hlucin
    Vitkovice
    Slovacko
    Marila Pribram
    Fulnek (promoted from 3rd division)
    Sokolov
    Bohemians Praha (promoted from 3rd division)
    Caslav
    Opava
    Trinec
    Blsany
    HFK Olomouc

The only club missing who were not relegated is Jakubcovice. They struggled all season with attendance, and it looks like their 2nd division license was purchased by Dukla Praha. I can't seem to find Jakubcovice in the top four divisions, so they might have dropped down to the fifth division.

Not 2nd division news, but Union Cheb 2001 are now in the 3rd division (CFL). They were once a pretty big club in the first division, but fell on hard times like so many clubs in the Czech Republic.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Czech 2nd division 2007/08 [R]

Given Dukla's low crowds, highlighted in another thread, will Dukla v (fake) Bohemians Praha be the worst attended Prague derby ever?

3. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I can't imagine Dukla getting huge crowds. Wasn't that the reason the club moved to Pribram in the first place?

4. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Season begins on August 7th with the following fixtures... clubs in bold are new to the druha liga.

Vysconia Jihlava vs HFK Olomouc
    FK Pribram vs Fotbal Fulnek
    FC Slovacko vs FK Banik Sokolov
    FC Vitkovice vs Zenit Caslav
    FC Hlucin vs Bohemians
    MFK Usti nad Labem vs Trinec Fotbal
    Dukla Praha vs SFC Opava
    FC Hradec Kralove vs FK Chmel Blsany

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

The 2nd division begins today, not August 7th as I posted above.

6. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

8th round - this weekend
    Sokolov vs Trinec
    Hlucin vs Dukla Praha
    Vitkovice vs Hradec Kralove
    Bohemians Praha vs Opava
    Pribram vs Jihlava
    Fulnek vs HFK Olomouc
    Slovacko vs Caslav
    Usti nad Labem vs Krc

- Forgot to mention this earlier, but in the 2nd round of the league (I think) Krc had a home attendance of 64!! :eek:

Standings after 7 rounds
    1. Pribram 14pts
    2. Opava 13pts
    ------------------
    3. Hradec Kralove 13pts
    4. Slovacko 11pts
    5. Caslav 10pts
    6. Vitkovice 10pts
    7. HFK Olomouc 9pts
    8. Bohemians Praha 9pts
    9. Jihlava 8pts
    10. Fulnek 8pts
    11. Sokolov 6pts
    12. Hlucin 5pts
    13. Dukla Praha 5pts
    14. Usti nad Labem 4pts
    -----------------------
    15. Trinec 4pts
    16. Krc 2pts

7. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Results from the 7th rounds - standings from Czech Football Daily

Bohemians Praha 1 SFC Opava 1
    Sokolov 1 Trinec 1
    Hlucin 3 Dukla Praha 1
    Fulnek 1 HFK Olomouc 0
    Slovacko 1 Caslav 0
    Vitkovice 1 Hradec Kralove 2
    Usti nad Labem 1 Krc 2
    Pribram 5 Jihlava 1

1st Pribram, 17 points
    2nd Hradec Kralove, 16
    ----------------------
    3rd Opava, 14
    4th Slovacko, 14
    5th Fulnek, 11
    6th Caslav, 10
    7th Vitkovice, 10
    8th Bohemians Praha, 10
    9th HFK Olomouc, 9
    10th Hlucin, 8
    11th Jihlava, 8
    12th Sokolov, 7
    13th Krc, 5
    14th Dukla Praha, 5
    ----------------------
    15th Trinec, 5
    16th Usti nad Labem, 4

http://prague.tv/czech-football/

8. Re: Czech 2nd division 2007/08 [R]

What are HFK's chances of promotion this season ? I have a flat in Olomouc and HFK have become my adopted Club even though most of my time is spent working in England. To have TWO Olomouc Clubs in the Gambrinus League would be brilliant !!!

9. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

HFK Olomouc had a poor start to the season, but they came on strong during the last few games of the fall. The club seems to be more professional, and have goals of getting promoted. I haven't been to a game in Holice since 2002, but the stadium has underwent some major upgrades. They are also still in the Czech Cup, and play Sparta in a 2-leg QF match-up.

Here are the standings up to the last game in the fall. The season resumes in March.

1. FC Slovacko 31pts
    2. Opava 30pts
    ----------------
    3. Pribram 29pts
    4. Hradec Kralove 27pts
    5. Bohemians Praha 27pts
    6. HFK Olomouc 25pts
    7. Fulnek 23pts
    8. Caslav 21pts
    9. Sokolov 18pts
    10. Jihlava 17pts
    11. Hlucin 16pts
    12. Vitkovice 14pts
    13. Usti nad Labem 14pts
    14. Dukla Praha 14pts
    -------------------
    15. Sparta Krc 13pts
    16. Trinec 9pts

10. Re: Czech 2nd division 2007/08 [R]

And what of your beloved SK Prostejov ? How are they progressing this year. I suppose the size of the town limits what it can achieve, but aspiring to the level of the Second Division is well within their capabilities.

11. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Prostejov were a 2nd division club for a number of years. They fell upon financial difficulties. Relegated to the 3rd division... 4th division... and 5th division. The club decided not to field a senior team this year. Hopefully they will return in some form next season.

I watch Sigma Olomouc games, but I would prefer to have a club here in Prostejov. There is a club called "Hana Prostejov" and they play in what is essentially the 8th division in the Czech pyramid. Only two divisions from the bottom... haha :p

12. Re: Czech 2nd division 2007/08 [R]

Blimey ! I didn't even know that that Czech football went down to ten levels. At what level do the players cease being amateurs and become semi-professional (the Moravian Soccer league ?).

Shame about SK Prostejov, I can remember them being shown in the lower reaches of the Second Division and I just thought they'd fallen into the MSL. I hope some enterprising fellow will revive the Club at a senior level next season, incidentally, if they were to come back, would it be at Level five, which is where I noticed Dukla Praha were.

Good luck with Sigma, it would be nice to see them challenging the "old firm" of Slavia and Sparta. A lot of folks in Moravia are passionate about Sparta, I think it goes back to the Communist days when Slavia were an establishment team, complete with Red Star and Sparta represented the free thinking democrats in Czechoslovakia (as it was)

13. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Hana Prostejov play at the old SK Prostejov training ground, and it is in rather rough shape. Games are free though.... the next level up some clubs charge 10-20kc.

I enjoy lower-level football, so I don't mind going to the odd Hana Prostejov game. When I lived in Leicester I supported Friar Lane & Epworth (Leicestershire Senior League - Step 7). They have since been promoted to the Midlands Football Alliance - Step 5. :)

Here is a picture from a Hana Prostejov game.

[​IMG]

SK Prostejov has a full youth system, and a decent but old stadium. I would suspect they are just trying to get their financies in order after being relegated for a number of years in a row.

I'm not sure about the semi-pro status in the Czech pyramid. I would think players in the CFL and MSFL get paid, and perhaps even the league below (the various Divizie).

14. Re: Czech 2nd division 2007/08 [R]

Not a bad little ground and the pitch looks really even and well kept. I also watch Non League football, Radcliffe Borough of the Unibond League (Northern Premier League) is my team, but I also watch a lot of North West Counties games at teams like Atherton Collieries, Atherton LR, Salford City, Daisy Hill and, at a lower level, Breightmet United.

Have you any pictures of the main Prostejov ground ?

What other teams are within a 30 kilometer radius of you and do you ever venture out to watch them also. I know the train service is real good for getting to most of the towns.

15. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Yeah, I think the ground is still looked after by SK Prostejov, as the pitch is in good condition.

I can try to take a few pictures of the main stadium later this week. Chances are it will be closed, but I'll see what I can do. At the very least I can take some pictures of the outside.

There are a number of clubs around the Prostejov area. Konice play in the 4th division, as does Vyskov, Lipova play in the MSFL (3rd division). Then you have the Olomoucky Kraj which is the fifth division. There are about 5 or 6 clubs not too far away from Prostejov.

16. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I made a small change to the title of this thread to reflect the discussion. Now this thread is for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th divisions etc....

17. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

The 2nd division resumes this weekend after a long winter break.

I might go to watch HFK Olomouc vs Usti nad Labem on Saturday.

18. Come on the mighty HFK !!!!

[​IMG]

19. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My mistake, they play Jihlava.

20. Never mind, the name of the lamb that has come to Holice to be slaughtered isn't relevant !!

Jihlava, Usti nad Labem......it makes no difference to the mighty HFK......let 'em both come !!

We'd still beat 'em both on a Double Header !!!

21. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

At the start of the season Jihlava had to be considered one of the favourites for promotion. Now they are struggling in mid-table. This is a game that HFK has to win.

Prostejov (ice hockey) has a relegation round game on Saturday as well. Now, I don't know what to do? :)

22. Hey !! Since when have Canadians ever been good at Ice Hockey !! [​IMG]

No decision my man, go for the footy, let the ice hockey take care of itself.

Olomouc used to have a cracking Ice Hockey team but they packed 'em off to Karlovy Vary (I think). Our flat is quite near to where they used to play at the Ice Hockey Arena.

23. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Olomouc won the first division title (ice hockey) in the mid-90's. The club then fell on some financial problems. They are now back in the semi-finals of the first division, and they have hopes of getting promoted to the extra-liga. Oh by the way, Prostejov lost and have thus been relegated to the 3rd division. :(

I did end up going to Holice yesterday because I had a few things to do in Olomouc. The game itself wasn't that great, as both teams couldn't really find their form. I suspect the winter break had something to do with this. Anyway, HFK won 1-0 on a goal in the first half. Jihlava really should have scored shortly after.... a ball cut back to about 8-yards out... Jihlava player wide open with a running header.... he puts it way over the bar. Holice had a ball cleared off the line in the first half. HFK has a small group of 'supporters', and I was kind of surprised that Jihlava didn't bring any away fans. Attendance was 821.

24. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wrote the president of 1. SK Prostejov a few weeks back. My e-mail was in Czech, but he seemed to understand me. If I understood his Czech correctly, it looks like 1. SK Prostejov will be have a men's team next year. :) I wonder if they will try to purchase a license of a higher division club?

25. try to purchase a license of a higher division club?

As long as it's not HFK !!!

821 fans is fairly good for the Division they are in isn't it. I seem to remember Drnorvice getting 70 fans whilst a Division higher !!

What do you reckon an "average gate" is, across the whole Division ?

Good news about Prostejov, will be great to see them back again (in the MSL ?)