Cyclocross, anyone?

Discussion in 'Cycling' started by Michael K., Aug 13, 2010.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I never got back to responding to this back in the fall. It was a nice morning for a race - good weather, challenging course. I finished the proverbial 31st of 45 in Cat 4 (seriously, I think I finished between 30-32 of 45 in every race i entered.) Got schooled by a junior, all of about 12 years old, who passed me riding a long slope I had to run up. Then again, he was the only one I saw ride up that hill, so I can't feel too bad about it.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Must be that White kid. His sister is like a junior national champion. Don't be depressed. I picked up a Nashbar cross bike a few months ago. Might have to take it up next year.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aluminum or steel? Mine's aluminum, but when I looked at the Nashbar site over the fall all I could find was the steel version. I did one last race in November over in CT, not far from where my parents live, and got my ass kicked decisively. By the end my lower back was on fire, which I'm thinking is down to the bike being just a bit big for me. It didn't help that I somehow jarred my seat loose at the start (MENTAL NOTE: MUST REMEMBER TO TIGHTEN THOSE THINGS BEFOREHAND) and had to ride with it all wobbly and askew for 45 minutes

So I may race on that bike next year, or if I come into a few bucks I may keep it as just a commuter and go around the corner (literally) to my friendly local Kona/Jamis dealer and get a Jake or something.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I got the steel one. With the proper sale and 20% off it came to under $600 with Shimano 105's. I have nice components than my road bike

5. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Anyone racing this fall?

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't yet. I've been working like a dog, having car issues, just watched the storm pass (luckily without any serious damage) and just plain lazy. I'd like to get at least a couple races in between now and the end of December though. How about you?

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Any idea what kind of crowds we might expect at the WC race in Louisville Kentucky? :)

9. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine the crowds will be pretty good. Maybe not Belgium-good, but generally speaking there is a decent amount of support for cycling in the U.S.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Belgian press reports that the WC race crowd is expected to be in the 7000-8000 range.

12. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  13. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone in BS going out to this?

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Belgian team (well mostly just Nys TBF) pissed at the last-minute change of schedule.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Okay, Nys is mostly pissed because this ********ed up his entire preparation. He went out for a long and hard practice ride on Friday, assuming he would have all of Saturday to recuperate. So it puts him as a disadvantage compared to those riders who took it more easily on Friday. I guess we will see how much this will impact him. He should make the podium under normal circumstances, as this course is almost tailor-made for him.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Going great for the Dutch so far. Mathieu van der Poel won his second world title with the juniors today, Marianne Vos now on the verge of winning her 10th (!) world title (fifth in cyclo-cross I think). She's looking for a new challenge now and might start competing in the BMX.

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaand took it quite easily.

Pretty crappy to lose a podium spot when your chain breaks 100 yards from the finish - or at least that's what it looked like happened to Nash.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  18. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you t00k the "Holland to sweep Cyclocross Worlds" prop bet, you might be feeling cautiously optimistic right about now.

19. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much now, with 4 laps to go and a Belgian caravan up there in front.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I never expected our elite men to get anywhere near the podium. Still, winning three out of four isn't too bad hehehe. Here's the UCI trying to globalise the sport and prizes are split between Belgium and the NL....

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I fully expect the Belgian press to be butt-hurt about only winning at the senior level.
    This after they complain all year long that the Belgian dominance of the Cyclocross calender is bad for the sport. :D

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Oh, and Nys is still (and always will be) a traitorous asshole. :D

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge