CWC: Saprissa still hasn't been matched

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by ZeekLTK, Dec 20, 2011.

1. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    true

2. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i suspect African teams will frequently challenge UEFA/Conmebol hegemony once the Club world cup moves to Morocco in 2 years. Also, I think Asia exceeds expectations since the tournament has been held in Japan. Concacaf will outperform Asia in Morocco. A bigger point of this thread is how strong Costa Rica has been able to perform over the years in CCL. While it is true that if NASL had participated in the 70s & 80s the list of finalist in Concacaf Champions play would be filled w/US/Can teams, I think Costa Rica needs to grow from their past performances. In other words, CR teams need to regularly dominate and even embarass Mex teams if CCL is ever to grow. They have not done that recently. Costa Rica has the tradition in this tournament. Yes, the US will grow in CCL, and Canada may even eventually have a league (even if its still in MLS), but the tournament can really take off w/strong league infrastructure outside of just US & Mex. CR has the economy to do so, especially if they eliminate their small teams & invite Arabe Unido and San Fran of Panama into their league. The rest of Central Amer is extremely impoverished. Imagine multiple strong teams from CR and Canada in CCL to supplement Mex & stronger US teams. Throw in 2 invites to Colombian teams and I might never watch Copa Lib again.

3. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Just stop with the "great" ideas there is no reason to randomly invite Colombian teams why not Argentina, Brazil Japan lets turn this back into that other set of great ideas you had. The CCL isn't held back because it isn't more like the superliga or because 3 Mexican teams participate in the libertadores as opposed to 1. CONCACAF consists of small poor countries instead of bringing in Colombian clubs and not allowing those countries to participate in their own regions tournaments CONCACAF should focus on improving those small countries infrastructure and getting rid of corrupt and incompetent FA officials that prevent that from happening. All over the world there are examples of small countries advancing their football it can happen here also but instead here we have fans like you that prefer some weird new version of the superliga as opposed to a real regional club tournament.

4. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    impossible task. the only countries w/adequate political and economic infrastructure for CCL growth would be US, Can, Mex, and Costa rica. I threw out the idea on another post that maybe SUM should restart the Central American Championship and buy tv rights in the US. Money made from such tv markets as LA, Bay area, Miami or DC could be funneled to improve infrastructure down there. This would be a bad idea given the corruption that exist at multiple levels in those countries. I simply want a CCL competition that can appeal to the rest of world. Mexico has already appealed that CCL be shortened w/groups of 3 where there are only 4 games at the group stage. Mexico is also seeking entry (or re-entry) into the Copa sudamericana. Its no doubt based on their frustration at CCL level of play. I could see MLS coming to the same conclusion from an economic perspective, that its a drain on resources that provides no return. The question of how to make CCL more appealing does not involve fairness to a region, especially not in Concacaf.

5. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    You definitely aren't throwing out ideas that appeal to the rest of the world all of your ideas only really appeal to a very specific set of fans found mostly in the USA. Nothing you have written would even appeal to most Colombian fans that wouldn't follow the quarky tournament you propose when they have the libertadores.

The only reason it doesn't involve fairness is because of fans like you that CONCACAF tries to cater to with things like the superliga but the thing is there aren't that many of you to keep things like the superliga going so that approach seems pointless and destined to fail just like the superliga. They could grow this by making it a real tournament which football fans in other countries might find appealing but that won't be happening any time soon either.

Also if Costa Rica makes the list then so does Honduras that infrastructure wise isn't behind Costa Rica in any significant way (apart from a Chinese donated stadium) and money wise Guatemala isn't far away from Costa Rica either I am going to go out on a limb and say you aren't very familiar with central american football given some of the comments you have made.