Cutting A Travel Player

Discussion in 'Coach' started by amikavpar, Feb 14, 2017.

1. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Recently a friend of mine told me a head coach kicked a player off a local travel team (right as futsal season ended). The reason given was that the player was practicing with another older team (same club) in addition to her team. According to my friend, the player (U14 girl) never missed practice or games with her team. I've had some experience with moving players off travel teams with my daughter and remembered that in Maryland a team cannot kick off a player without a darn good reason (none of which were met here). I told my friend this and he informed the mother of the player who has already taken a complaint to MSYSA.

I'm curious, what should this mom expect from MSYSA. Do the state associations take disciplinary action in situations like this, or is it slap on the wrist type stuff?

I really want to prepare the mom for the most probable outcome. Obviously, this should have been taken care of at the club level before reaching this point. Travel "programs" in this town or ad-hoc at best, where teams are run independently by individual coaches. No real club oversight.

Thanks for any info.

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Once a player get signed to play in any league. The coach can not cut the player period.

However, the coach does not have to play the player. After a while the player will probably asked to leave so they can play for another club in that season. So the coach should give that player their release so they can.

If he refuses to give the player their release they have to wait for the new season to play for another club. Then you threaten to sue you will get the release.

3. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    So, the way I read this is that she can't/wasn't officially kicked off the team and the MSYSA will demand she stay on the roster if she chooses. Unfortunately, this coach could make it miserable enough for her to request a release. I think she has already moved on but she filed the complaint anyway.

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why did he care that she was practicing with another team if she wasn't missing his games and practices?

5. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fear…
    Territorialism…
    Low Self Confidence…
    Any number of character flaws that cause people to act like shitheels…

Unfortunately, there are those coaches who feel threatened or offended by any soccer activities by their players outside their control…

bigredfutbol and nicklaino repped this.
  6. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    All of the above, probably. After seeing stuff like this for the last 12 years I've stopped trying to explain it. He also might be wanting to clear space for freshmen in HS looking for a spring team (since this is officially U15).

7. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Sad. And USSF wonders why kids quit playing after age 13...?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What her father should find out for sure. Call the league and ask once the player get her player pass. Can she be cut. I say the answer is no. Then go to the coach and tell him he can't cut her. Then ask for her player release so she can play for another club.

You can play for two clubs at the same time. If she plays for one club in a youth league and on another club in an adult league.

9. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Here is the excerpt I sent my friend from MSYSA:

"A player may be released involuntarily only for the following reasons: (1) the player has violated rules of US Soccer, US Youth Soccer, or the MSYSA; (2) the player has moved beyond a reasonable distance (as defined by the MSYSA); or (3) the player is injured in such a manner that he or she will not be able to participate for the remainder of the season. In the case where team rights are in question, MSYSA permits the involuntary removal of a player from a team if the player, player's parents/guardians, or anyone associated with the player are disruptive influences. Requests for involuntary release must be submitted in writing to the MSYSA Board of Directors (with a copy to the player's parents/guardians) by a Team Official for approval."

I'll recommend that she be sure she gets released - and on that release request form you must put a reason and she can be blunt. I think her mom might be planning to play her with the U19 team, which I think is a bit out of her league physically. Some of those young ladies are pretty powerful.

I've run into a number of parents over the last couple of months whose kids' age range from 13-15. All have really disheartening stories about their exit from soccer - all coach related.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    No idea what the situation is here, but I've seen situations where a player practicing with a different team that has a different approach/style/etc is detrimental. If the coach is trying to coach one thing, and the player is practicing multiple weeks with a team that is doing the opposite, I could see scenarios where it could be an issue. Of course, there are other solutions short of cutting the player, and the real question isn't whether the player is participating in such practices, but if and how it is impacting play when the player returns. Some can shift and adjust effortlessly. Others not so much. But if I could at least see a scenario where a coach felt it was at a minimum counterproductive, and if there is another player waiting in the wings ready to commit exclusively, it would be a rational decision (setting aside the fact that the rules may not allow the coach to do anything about it....)

11. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Blech, she was practicing with an older team at the SAME club.

12. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No offence Blech, but I am not buying that at all, and I don’t even care if it’s the same club or not…everything you said just screams of a coach who places winning over development; who thinks they are the Bill Belichick of youth soccer…pulling aside my disbelief that a few extra hours practice with another team is going completely ruin someone’s ability execute a coach’s approach/style/vision (lol), everything I have ever heard is that the exposure to different approaches/styles/teammates/etc. is beneficial to player development…it tends to create more rounded and versatile players…

But in any case, if the player is fulfilling their commitment to be at practice and at games, what they do outside of those commitments (soccer related or not) really isn’t any business of that coach…

I could see overtraining as a possible concern under such a scenario, but that’s more on the parents to determine…a coach could raise such concerns, but I think cutting someone mid-season over them would seem a bit of a stretch…

bigredfutbol and rca2 repped this.
  13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Another team within the SAME club. WTF? Isn't that part of a benefit of playing in a club that you can attend multiple practices?

bigredfutbol, elessar78 and rca2 repped this.
  14. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I bet this coach gets upset if his players play pickup soccer outside his control too. He is not interested in player development, only gratifying his own ego.

15. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    You all may be right, but you are making a bunch of assumptions and making a bunch of statements about a coach whom you have never met. Also, with your accusatory comments about disregard for player development, you all appear to be focused solely on this one player, when there is an entire team involved. Again, I don't know either, but it may not be as black and white as you are all assuming.

No offense taken.

16. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    None taken, every comment made in this thread is based on limited and incomplete information…

But the excuses and rational you used to justify cutting a kid mid-season (especially in what sounds like some run of the mill, community travel team) just sends out a lot of red flags to me…maybe they don’t you, that’s cool…

Color me unimpressed by any amateur youth coach that demands “commitment exclusivity” and has backup players waiting in the wings to replace those players that don’t measure up to those demands…

Yes, there is a team involved…not really looking debate what a good coach is and does…but imho, good [youth] coaches develop players, not teams…well developed players create good teams, not the other way around…this coach you describe probably has a very good win record and probably very proud of it…

17. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I like this quote.

I will say that this coach is a bit odd and doesn't communicate well with parents, players, or fellow coaches. I could give you a pretty decent size list of girls and families who left the team scratching their heads. My friend is out of town this week, so maybe next week I'll know more.

Luckily, my daughter left this club for the club in the next town. So far, 7 months drama free.