Customizing your boots - the advice thread

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Skizz, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I’ve started this thread for advice about customizing your boots. I know there was a thread a while back on the subject, but this thread is specifically for boots you have customized yourself, along with a step-by-step guide as to how it is done. Obviously posting pics isn’t necessary, but if you have any advice you feel you can offer, feel free to post. However, please remember that all customization is at your own risk, and SKIZZ takes no responsa-blah blah blah. Anyways, onward!

PS - I am leaving this stickied for a week to see if there is any interest in it.

2. Skizz

Skizz Guest

ARTICLE 1 - STUD REPLACEMENT

I’ll start out by discussing the SG studs on my customized Vapor II’s. These are customized in the same manner as boots worn by Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ronaldo. Here’s the guide as to how it was done.

Ingredients:
    12x female screw housing
    1x extra strong Polycement
    Screws to fit housing
    Flathead Screwdriver
    Hammer
    Pliers

1. Removed NikeSnap studs from boots. If the studs are worn down, they may be more difficult to remove - using the screwdriver to get them out normally works, but as the material is weak you need to do this CAREFULLY as the studs may just break and you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET THEM OUT. If worst comes to worst, use the pliers to get them out.

2. Use screwdriver to separate NikeSnap housing in the stud hole - this looks like two small vertical pieces of plastic. Put the screwdriver halfway up the plastic, and hammer it so it snaps, or at least bends. Do this OUTWARDS, as the purpose of this is to make room for the stud housing.

3. You can get screw housing which has a small bit of flat metal at the bottom (to steady it). This is not necessary, but is preferable. At this point find a flat surface to rest the boot on - bear in mind that the place you leave the boot to dry NEEDS TO BE CLOSE TO HERE as you will be moving the boot with wet glue around it.

4. Put a screw into the housing, and hold it in place in the stud hole. Fill the hole with the poly cement so the cement finishes just below the top of the housing. Repeat for the other holes on the boot. It is not advised to remove the screw at this point as you will take the housing out with you!

5. Leave the boot to dry for 24 hours.

6. GENTLY unscrew the screw. It should come out ok, it may be tight to start with but there is an airtight gap now at the bottom of the housing - this is the cause. You should now have a boot with 6 female screw bits in.

7. Screw the studs in. I purchased a set of all-metal Diadora studs from Sports Soccer - these cost me £1.95 and were reduced from £4. If you don’t intend to change these studs (they WILL last) screw it half in, top the hole with Polycement to the top, and leave to dry again for 24 hours. The end result should look like this:

[​IMG]

Happy customizing!

3. Skizz

Skizz Guest

ARTICLE 2 - NUMBERING YOUR VAPORS

A pretty simple exercise to give your Vapor 1 and 2’s that personal touch.

Ingredients
    1x set of Total 90 heel stickers
    Sandpaper
    Penknife

1. Mark out where you intend putting the sticker on the heel counter. Using the penknife, mark over the indent lines on the heel counter. Remove the sticker.

2. Using the sandpaper, sand down the appropriate area on the heel counter until you are presented with a flat surface. Clean the area using a damp cloth.

3. Place stickers on heel as appropriate.

4. Voila! Done, a simple way to give your boots a new look and keep them different to everyone else’s. When you’re done, they should look a little something like this:

[​IMG]

And the final look of my aforementioned Vapor II's...

[​IMG]

4. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Urmmm ... didn't you loose a lot of the studs from the boots that you customised? - lol :confused:

appleCORR

5. Skizz

Skizz Guest

*sigh* yes, the first time, but I am detailing the second way I did it and they are now fine. QUESTIONS!!! :D

6. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hahaha! I was like don't tell ppl how to put studs in that fall out! :)

appleCORR

7. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Ok.

"Dont just glue the studs in as they will fall out"

Happy? I am :)

8. ajk1311

ajk1311 New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    idk if this is the right thread for this but i'd like to get the tounge on my absolutes down far on the boot. ive been trying but the tounge always seems to be small

9. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Don't do the laces up to the top then...leave a few holes undone with no lace and pull the tongue down as desired.

10. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just dont put it through the top hole, just the looks as bigg said. Then you can always shorten the elastic so it just holds around the front 2 studs.

appleCORR

11. Raja Casablanca

Raja Casablanca New Member

I'm asking for advice. I'd like to get rid of the black stripes on my white and black tunits, anyone have a good way of getting that off

12. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    Any ideas for brands of paint/marker for the bottom of absolutes? looking to change my black/red ones to all black bottom...

13. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Bear in mind firstly this is all theoretical!!

Using normal leather dye won't work as the Tunit's material isn't porous, and it won't soak it up - it will probably end up going streaky. Bear in mind also that using random spray will peel eventually, however a thinned model paint from the likes of Humbrol may work. This is because the surface texture of model aeroplanes and so on has a similar plasticky coating to the Tunits.

What I would suggest is firstly using nail polish remover on the stripes to take off the upper layers of colour, making it more receptive. It may be an idea to just spray the whole damn thing for effect, but bear in mind it may take a couple of coats. That's the theory behind it anyway.

14. Skizz

Skizz Guest

This is juventus_supporter's guide as to how he did his Pulses - I'm sure he won't mind me reposting his guide and pics as his boots turned out great and are arguably the best home-made boots I have seen to date.

Darren, hopefully this should be of help to you.

15. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Juventus_supporters' customized Gold Pulses (pic credit to him)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Skizz

Skizz Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excellent example of how to do your boots.

17. Skizz

Skizz Guest

How to customize the tongue on your boots

Ever wanted your own customized tongue like these?
    [​IMG]

It’s a lot simpler than you think. And to do it all you need is some leather, a sewing machine (or some cloth glue) and an idea as to what you want on your tongues!

1. Firstly, you need to understand how a Predators’ tongue works. They are all composed of TWO sections. The upper part (you see) and the lower part (you don’t) are stitched together during production of the boot. The first thing you need to do is REMOVE THE UPPER PART OF THE TONGUE. To do this, use a sharp knife (or a stitch corrector) and untack the stitches all around the tongue. What you need to remember, however, is that you will need the upper part later, so keep damage to this part minimal.

2. Once you remove the upper tongue section, get your piece of leather you have brought. It doesn’t have to be leather, just an appropriate, durable material. Hold each tongue in place and draw around it, either with a piece of chalk or a suitable pen. Make sure it is accurate, as these are now the parts that will go on the boot. If you are writing two different things on each tongue, it might be an idea to write L and R on the unused leather to remind yourself which is which.

3. Now here is your choice. If you’re going for the professional stitched approach, mark out what you want written on each tongue. Stitch this in using the sewing machine (making sure to go over it 3 or 4 times so it is legible). If you don’t want to do this, a professional “stencilled” approach may be best. Get a stencil in a font you like, and write what you want on the tongue in something like a silver (or permanent) pen. Leave this to dry for a few hours in your airing cupboard, then spray over the tongue with shoe protector. Leave it to dry again, then repeat 3 or 4 times. This locks the colour into the leather and ensures you don’t have to go over it every week before a match.

4. Once the design is finalized, cut CAREFULLY around the leather. Remember that any excess can always be trimmed off later, but if there’s too little you will need to do the whole thing again or your boot will look stupid. Once you have completed this, you should have two tongues like this:

[​IMG]

5. Now, to attach the leather to the tongue. If you are going to stitch it on, remember two things. ONE, at the top of the tongue you will need to make a CREASE to get a clean line. It may be good to iron this in before you start. TWO, if you don’t feel confident that you will get it straight, you can always tack it down to the tongue. Stitch around the edges, and you’re done. If you’re going to glue the tongue on, make sure you also crease the top edge of the tongue, and also make sure you leave it to dry for an adequate amount of time.

6. Once the tongue has dried, or is securely attached, trim off the edges with a craft knife. There you go, Pro Direct eat your heart out!

[​IMG]

NOTE: If your sewing maching cannot stitch onto your tongue directly, this is also a good method to get personalization directly onto the adidas tongue.

18. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the custom tounge I might try it out with my pulsados :D

19. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    I don't remember seeing those pulses. They look amazing. I wasnt going to go all out like that, but that will mos def help me with what I'm thinking about doing. Thanks for the repost SKizz!!

20. Skizz

Skizz Guest

No problem. I just recalled Juventus_supporter doing them and took a chance. Hope they come out alright, and post some pics!

21. kaitster

kaitster New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Those gold pulses are amazing... I was ever so disappointed when I heard Zidane's gold abs would never be out on general sale. But now maybe I will make myself a pair of gold pulses. *drool*

22. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OR Abs :eek:!!!

23. Its Swanny

Its Swanny New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Midwest, USA
    I might be getting my Legends embroidered...maybe even my v1.06's.

I'll post up information and pictures if I do it.

I also have a couple of other customizations that I'll post in the next couple of days.

24. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    Those black tongues wopuld really raise some questions about the boots being some super-secret early promo or whatever, looks class!
    *Plots evil plan for super-longue tongues to rival those of Becks and even Gene Simmons...