Current best starting Xl?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USAMEX10, Sep 4, 2014.

1. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this fall our ideal lineup will be:
    Steffen
    Yedlin(assuming injury not catastrophic) Brooks Miazga Robinson
    McKinnie Adams
    Hyndman
    Weah Pulisic
    Wood

I taking some leaps of faith here that Robinson will continue looking as good as he has and that Hyndman is what we think he should be now that he's getting minutes in Scotland.

The coach might see things differently. He might see Pulisic as a more central player and that would put Hyndman out of the picture. Weah played up top today. If that's where he continues to play our next coach may keep him there and play someone else on the wing. Our next coach may value Bradley and Altidore more than I do too.

Are we all underrating Alfredo Morales? He's going to get minutes in the Bundesliga this year and may be a starter. He'll be playing at a higher level than people a lot of us are putting in our midfields.

Maxvall, Eighteen Alpha and largegarlic repped this.
  2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    We have always underrated Morales. I think it stems from the play Bradley every minute of every game days when that distorted the play of all other CMs.

3. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or that when he got his opportunities, he didn't really differentiate himself from other options.

Mario Balotelli and largegarlic repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true he didn't but he also didn't exactly get used in a way that played to his strengths. If I recall JK played him in a hybrid CM/Wide role.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yeah, his, what, two games for us?

Shame, Danny Williams, Matt Miazga, Timmy Chandler, and others didn't impress in their games either....

Course, guys like Zusi and Beaz were worked time and time again, but we know why they were there...

yurch10 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he had over a dozen games for the senior team. While he did move around a little bit, position-wise, he was mostly used in the center.

7. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory is that Morales always played some version of left wing. I never felt he had the speed or attacking ability to play there but wondered if he might be a better fit inside with a three man midfield.

8. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morales is worth another look as depth at CM. He is entering the nominal peak years, so may have even more to give this time around.

10. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the website transfer market, he played almost exclusively at Center midfield. He played on the Left against Puerto Rico and against Ireland. Both were friendlies.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2011 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    For the US and for club, Morales played almost exclusively in a 3CM (4-3-X) midfield.

The US CM depth chart was dictated by the Bradley/Jones binary system. The rest of the players ( Edu, Williams, Beckerman, Mix, Kljestan, Morales, Corona, Kitchen, ...) were just a level or two below Bradley/Jones.

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 sub vs Canada 2013
    1 starts, 4 subs in 2014
    3 starts, 3 subs in 2015 (plays his first competitive cap in the GC against Panama in the Group stage)
    1 start vs Puerto Rico in 2016 (his only 90 minute game)
    None in 2017
    None in 2018

Far more appearances than I thought, certainly. Although, the majority were substitute appearances, and he's compiled ~600 minutes for us over 5 years, none in the last two and a half years.

Pretty forgettable performances I suppose. I'm certainly not clamoring for him to have a big role in the team. But Bundesliga players don't grow on trees for the USMNT, so I think it could behoove us to look at him if we're looking for veteran midfielders to round off camp rosters and provide leadership. He's playing with all the young Bundesliga guys we have over there, might not be so bad to call him in.

yurch10 repped this.
  13. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    -------------------Wood------------------
    Weah------------------------------Pulisic
    ----McKennie-----------Acosta-----
    ----------------Adams-------------------
    Robinson--Brooks--Miazga---Yedlin
    ----------------Steffen--------------------

I think this is the best XI we got at the moment when everyone is healthy. Would love to see this. Every line is dynamic with pace and skill. Could see this the next friendly except for Yedlin being out with an injury. Insert Lima, Moore, or Cannon there.

14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really enamored with Moore. He's speedy, has a little skill... that's about it. He wasn't in Levante's plans, and is now in the Spanish 2nd. Not terrible, but not great either.

I would rather Lima or Cannon get a shot over him. Let's see what we've got in one of those guys. Maybe they're able to translate their MLS play to the International level, maybe not, but I'd like to find out either way.

Sombrerito repped this.
  15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    If Moore dominates in the second division, I think he must be in the conversation. I'm all for giving Lima and Cannon a chance (we need depth at FB), but I've seen little to indicate they are miles ahead of Moore, or even someone like Marlon Fossey.

Patrick167 and mike4066 repped this.
  16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not miles ahead of Moore. But they could be equal to or better than him. Or worse. I just think that both those guys, particularly for MLS, are pretty skilled and good at attacking and defending, whereas Moore seems to mostly be a defense-first guy.

I like Yedlin, but it seems like he's been lacking in the offensive side of the ball for the last couple years. Cannon seems very good offensively, and Lima (a converted striker) has a great shot on him. It'd be a nice change of pace for a position that we generally don't expect much from.

At least that's what I'm thinking.

Fossey's at Fulham and doesn't look out of place. Your sentence seems to imply that he's at a low level. He's got an opportunity to break into an EPL side at 19 (he is playing up at the U23 level atm), and is 2 years younger.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I didn't mean to imply that Fossey is at a low level, I just don't hear him mentioned much in threads like this.

I'm not trying to advocate for Moore but I absolutely disagree that he is defense first. He wouldn't get on the scoreboard so much from the wingback position if that were the case.

But, anyway, I'd love to see Cannon and Lima get a chance.

18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played at Levante, who mostly struggled in La Liga. In a 5-man backline. TBF, not like he'd be able to showcase too much offensive skill against France and Ireland.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The Puerto Rico match aside, Morales's starts and roles were:

started on the left of a diamond vs Ireland in '14
    started on the vs Swiss in '15; his best match
    started at LCM in a 433 against Holland in '15
    started on the left of a diamond vs Panama in '15

He only got one start in central midfield. He was excellent in the Switzerland match and solid in the Holland match. The Ireland match was an all-around clusterf--k. His defense, his best quality, wasn't needed against Panama.

He hasn't been worldbeater for club or country. Still, as he continues to play at a high level, he deserves to be in the mix.

Sources:
    football-lineups
    mlssoccer matchcenter

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wood hasn't reestablished his form. Adams hasn't been playing as a lone-dmid. Yedlin looks set to be out for a while. Brooks hasn't reestablished his form.

CU soccer and Excellency repped this.
  21. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Funny to see people come around on using all our options.

Of course Morales should be in the discussion and he should have been during the hex. The overuse of Bradley decimated our cm options.

22. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    You can say similar things about Yedlin. We simply dont have much proven depth at full back

23. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. Which is why Cannon and Lima, fullbacks who seem to like to attack, cut inside, and, particularly with Lima, take shots, is particularly refreshing to me. Robinson, a LB who can cross, same deal. Villafana/Beasley have been pretty underwhelming for 2 cycles now. Villafana can't defend much, although he combines decently well. Beasley defends better (IDK how, he's been in his 30's for a loooong time), but offers nothing going forward.

It'd be nice to not have this "unbalanced" attack where only one side of the field has 95 percent of the attacks going down that side.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    In terms of form players:

----------------------Green-----Weah-------
    ----------------------------------------------Pulisic----
    --------El Homie---McKennie---Adams--
    ---Robinson----------------------------------------Lima---
    ---------------------Parker--------Miazga-------
    -----------------------------Steffen-------

Subs: Wood, Zardes, Sabbi, Acosta, Parks, Trapp

Castillo would play as shuttler; Pulisic as a RAM.

25. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Homie?