Current best starting Xl?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USAMEX10, Sep 4, 2014.

1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Exactly.

That's why I don't want to see any 'old guards' on the roster going forward.

We need to let these youngsters play together over the next few years so that they can develop chemistry and understanding together.

Whomever in this group get out of form, you can drop them and bring in the new crops. We're building a team for the next cycle or 2. Let's not continue to live in the failures of the pass. Jozy, Bradley, Nagbe, Gonzalez, and co can watch from the couch.

2. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or in some cases for the immediate future, the bench.

Winoman repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They are Americans so they have one guy who knows where to send the rock - just like a point guard in basket ball;)

This is going to take a while. Live and learn - or, as in this case, get frustrated and learn. LIke Schwinesteiger said, "you americans know a lot about basketball and baseball but you don't know soccer".

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schweinsteiger will be a great coach some day.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Best 11 in the Ramos 4-3-3 would be, imo:

Saief------Wood------Pulisic
    McKennie----Trapp-----Adams
    Robinson----Miazga----Brooks-----Yedlin

Six of those guys started against France; I don't think that is a mistake; whatever his shortcomings, Sarachan looked at a lot of players and he ended up here. Altidore/Wood is close enough to be a toss up. I'd need to see Delgado against someone good to see if he has a shout here. Trapp is ahead of Bradley and it isn't close for me. I don't think we will ever need to see Villafana again. Brooks better get healthy and play well in Wolfsburg because there are three guys that could take his spot.

Ready for the next coach and cycle.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    For next year's GC:

-----------------------Wood/Zardes-------------
    ------------Pulisic-----Nagbe----LG/JA/CM/SS
    -----------------Roldan-------McKennie----
    ----Robinson-----------------------------------Adams--
    -----------------Brooks-----------Miazga---------
    ---------------------Steffen/Guzan----

LG/JA/CM/SS = Gooch/Agudelo/Mueller/Saucedo

8. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1883 GiallorossiYank, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    I'm bored at work. Lets do this.

If Green takes that Bobby Wood 2. Bundesliga step up this year....

-----------------Wood---------------
    Saief--------Green---------Puli
    ----------Adams--Weston------
    Robinson---Brooks---Miazga---Yedlin
    THE WALL OF ZACK STEFFEN

I could also see how this makes a lot of sense.

Saief---------Wood---------Puli
    ----------Adams--Weston------
    ---------Trapp/Bradley-----------
    Robinson---Brooks---Miazga---Yedlin
    THE WALL OF ZACK STEFFEN

Regardless, I think the 6 is not a huge concern for us because Adams and McKennie cover so much damn ground. Sometimes that partnership seems a little awkward, but this is what friendlies are for. Let them get as much time in CM as possible before June 2019.

If Brooks stays healthy, I genuinely believe that this is the best backline we've ever had.

olephill2, mike4066, largegarlic and 2 others repped this.
  9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I am not big on Saief as others here. He hasn't impressed.

I need to see more of him, if he can keep himself injury free. Saief has 18 starts last season, with 1 goal.

10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I’m not the only one thinking this, so I’ll say it. I think anyone who plays as the 10 is probably just keeping the seat warm until Carleton is ready. Whether or not Carleton keeps the job as other kids mature, who knows? But I fully believe that Carleton will have some impact on qualifying for Qatar.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't watch much of him but my understanding is he plays a good amount of minutes at Wingback in a 3 backline. He hasn't shown enough for me to pencil him in but our wide areas are lacking and he has a leg up on Weah. I expect Weah to take that and make it his but if we had a must win tomorrow Saief prob starts.

Zinkoff repped this.
  12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1887 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    If we play a 4 back line then Weah and Puli is likely more effective with Puli inverted. That gives us 4 scorers as attackers. Saief has not demonstrated more of a ceiling than even Rubin.
    Wood
    Pulisic Green Weah
    Adams McKennie
    Robinson Brooks Miazga Yedlin
    Steffen
    I continue to believe that with our current youth project, 3 CBs will be more effective for our pool, especially against tougher opponents.

Wood
    Green Pulisic
    Robinson Adams McKennie Yedlin
    Miazga Brooks EPB
    Steffen​

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I like your latter formation, but I go a step further.

I love to see a coach comes in and make a big bet on the youngsters.

This what I want to see right now, tomorrow, and the next 12 months.

-----------Pulisic-----Sargent----Weah---------
    Robinson-------McKennie----Adams------Yedlin
    -----------Miazzga--------Brooks---------EPB---------
    ----------------------------Steffen------------------------

I could see Klinsman Jr. replacing Steffen in the near future.

You have our best attackers up front, our best CMs marshalling the central and our speediest wingbacks/fullbacks joining the attack. I think this is a lot of offensive power for any team to handle.

rlrcpa, SCSAutism, laxcoach and 2 others repped this.
  14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sargent and Weah perform for their clubs over the next 12 months then certainly replace Wood and Green in the starting lineups. Lets remember that Wood is only 25 and Green only 23 so if they perform they will continue to be in the mix. Sargent is clearly in the first team plans this season. Lets hope he produces. He will be competing with AJ for playing time!

Fierce competition for positions is good for the squad.

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hamburg was the last team in the BL to never have been relegated until the 2017/2018 season when they played with Wood at striker. Yet he continues to appear on all the best xi rosters here. We are obviously not very good. Thank heavens we didn't make it to Russia with our squad to get embarrassed like Panama.

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Saying we need to do better than Wood to compete for the World Cup is different than saying, right now, Wood is the best option as a lone striker. Saying we are not good, right now, when we didn't even qualify for the WC is a no brainer. But equating the relegation of a whole team, one that has flirted with relegation for many years, with their choice at striker is a bit far. I doubt if they played Altidore, Wondo, Dwyer, etc. in that spot they would still be in the Bundesliga.

We might have two #9s playing first division soccer this year in Sargent and Siebetchu. Wood himself might get a move (I doubt it).

2in10, TheHoustonHoyaFan and rlrcpa repped this.
  17. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    johannsson & novakovich

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I thought Siebatchu is committed to France?

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Love AroJ, but he is already hurt probably. If he is available for the NT and has been in good form, he is an option. It has been four years since that was true, at least it seems that long.

Novakovich is true, I was using, "First Division" as a starter or significant option for a Top 5 league team. Holland is a step below that, but still a decent level these days for the USMNT.

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    As I understand it, he has played for French youth teams but is not cap tied. He would like to play for France. Giroud is probably done and Benzema seems exiled (and is not young). Lacazette and Ben Yedder are probably ahead of him for 2022. As a new cycle starts in two weeks, he might make the professional decision to switch. Abby, Landon, and Timmy and Bruce might not like it, but he would immediately be in the equation for us.

Winoman and yurch10 repped this.
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The point is to assemble a team that can work together. Wood doesn't combine well. This is well known. Jozy is the better choice because he knows where his teammates are and passes well. Morris is better at getting behind the defense. Dom Dwyer is more dynamic farther from goal. I think it is a mistake to bring Seibatcheu. He wants to play for France. You seem very eager to repeat mistakes.

2in10 repped this.
  22. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Absolutely not. No Zardes, or Nagbe...Wood did nothing against France and Im ready to give up on him too

Hire the damn new coach and lets get moving forward. There is no need to bring along any of the the last bunch...except Pulisic. Start building fresh with the young guys. There is nothing the old crew can teach the younger guys except how to choke. The kids played France's WC team to a draw, the older guys couldn't even do it against bad teams, when it mattered. There is nothing to be learned from them.

My biggest fear is that given 1/2 a chance, Dave Sarachan will revert to his Arena roots and start mixing in the older people. I want Ernie to pick the coach ASAP and lets get moving

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside the FIFA 18 game? probably zero.

2in10 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    i cant

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a got hit in the head with a baseball when I was wasn't paying attention and have amnesia, but when the fook did everyone decide Weah was a RWer?

ussoccer97531 repped this.