Current best starting Xl?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USAMEX10, Sep 4, 2014.

1. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're in trouble if we're starting Dempsey in the WC. He seems to be falling off the age cliff. He doesn't look to have it in him to go 90 in a WC game.

mike4066, Gacm32, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we think our top 11, two months before the WC then my choice would be a...
    4-2-3-1
    Wood
    Kenny-Pulisic-Fabian
    Bradley-mckennie
    ????-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
    Howard

Gacm32 repped this.
  3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which team does ???? currently play for?

Dr.Phil repped this.
  4. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think it has to be an either/or question. Pulisic is clearly our most dangerous attacking player at this point, so you move him around to allow him the most opportunity to do damage based on game circumstances. In ideal circumstances, a player can get on the ball more and have a greater influence on the game from a central position, but if the opponent is intent on clogging the middle, then it makes sense to move your impact players wide to give them more space, even if it results in them seeing the ball a little less.

5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I have a really hard time picking a best 11 at this point. I don't even know what our best formation is, which would presumably in part dictate who goes in the starting 11.

I think our two best performances under Arena have been the Honduras win and the Azteca draw. Maybe that suggests that a 4-4-2 is the way to go against weaker opponents, while the 3-5-2 is preferable against stronger teams, but 1 game in Mexico isn't much evidence to go on.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I knew :-(

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pulisic is clearly our best attacking player....at club level. For the NT, he hasn't shown that, not against the top three of this cycle's hex.

8. CNYFC

CNYFC Member

Mar 28, 2016
    If Pulisic isn't our best attacker then who is?

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone kindly alert me when Pulisic shows he's the top attacker for our NT.

[​IMG]

K, thanks.

Redmen Rule, Techsan111, OGx3 and 7 others repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Top 3 opponents this cycle have been Mexico, Panama, and CR. In 4 starts in competitive matches against these sides, he has a grand total of 1 assist.

Again, 1 assist.

And in the Copa, he got blanked.

11. CNYFC

CNYFC Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Who was better??

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suddenly understand Eleven's perspective. He's been banging on the Pulisic can't play as a 10 drum for awhile, then ignores all his success as a 10 for us by focusing on 3 of 4 matches where he was stuck on the wing with a terrible midfield who couldn't get him the ball.

Panama, Bruce set us up to fail and the squad looked terrible, it was Pulisic's individual moment of brilliance which set up Clint and got us a point. First match against Mex he was only 17 and still the best player for us, as a 10, then at Azteca Arena again ran out a poor squad while benching numerous starters and stuck Pulisic on the wing where he rarely received the ball. CR was a tire fire which saw Jurgen lose his job. Then Copa he also was only 17. This is bending over backwards to downplay Pulisic, but whatever. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

It does however disprove the stance that Pulisic shouldn't play as a 10 though by highlighting his worst performances came on the wing. But it's generally very odd to suggest he's the same player he was at 17, over a year ago when he's made massive improvements to his game. None of that matters when we line up in Sept, just as Bosz won't be judging Pulisic on what he had done at 17.

Bajoro, Mr Martin and Heist repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What success has Pulisic had as a 10 playing behind two forwards in the Bundesliga? With the US? Against whom?

He would likely be successful as an a-mid/off-forward type. But then who would play the wings?

As a wide, he got an assist against a difficult opponent. Claiming he did everything on the play is childish.

But he is just a kid. Exactly: let him breathe. Geeez. This is getting worse than the Aron Johannson craze.

14. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was great for the US against Honduras at the top of the diamond behind 2 forwards. But while that lineup is exciting offensively, I am not comfortable with that defensively against a good team.
    You make a good point. I don't know if Pulisic is better centrally on the wing, but I do think we have more players who can play well centrally than wide.

I'd like some goal scoring wings if Pulisic plays as an off forward. Sadly though we don't have a huge wing threat that isn't Pulisic. A guy like Nagbe, who I think in general is a good fit playing with Pulisic, I fear would not be aggressive enough to take advantage of Pulisic's passing. Zardes and Morris would fit the mold, thought I don't see either as first XI quality. Bedoya, who I was fully ready to discard after the 2014 World Cup, has been impressing my more lately. But it's still more for his defense and industry than final product. Johnson is quality, but I'd like him more at LB, and while he can score isn't a huge threat. If Green could work his way back into the picture he could be a possibility, though I don't see that happening before 2018.

IndividualEleven and Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Honduras. 5th place.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pulisic likes the corner at the top of the box. that's the spot he's looking at.

How you want to interpret that is what makes you a good or bad manager.

Tuchel saw it and put him at right forward in a 343 in the CL games.

I take it those were games Tuchel wanted to win.

I think Tuchel got it exactly right.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    -----------morris-----agudelo----pulisic
    ----------zardes-- ---Bradley----dax
    ----Fab--------Brooks----Cam------Yedlin
    ----------------------gk:howard

subsDempsey, Jozy

18. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    Back 4 im with you, the rest seems like something someones drunk uncle who has watched 4 matches would come up with,

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    3-5-2 (or 5-3-2, depending on how you interpret it)

GK: Howard
    CB: Besler, Cameron, Brooks
    LWB: Johnson
    RWB: Yedlin
    CM: Bradley, Acosta (I think their partnership works well)
    CAM: Pulisic
    ST: Wood, Altidore

Mr Martin repped this.
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    According to transfermarkt he played as an "AM" 10 times (5 starts, 5 subs)during the 16/17 season. Of course, BVB usually only play with 1 forward but here is his production in those games... 2G and 4A. Teams were Hamburg, Leverkusen, M'gladbach, and Benfica.

Day Date Home team Visiting team Result Pos.
    10 Nov 5, 2016 [​IMG] Hamburger SV (18.) Bor. Dortmund (6.) 2:5 AM 1 68'
    13 Dec 3, 2016 Bor. Dortmund (7.) [​IMG] Bor. M'gladbach (13.) 4:1 AM 12'
    22 Feb 25, 2017 [​IMG] SC Freiburg (9.) Bor. Dortmund (3.) 0:3 AM 9'
    23 Mar 4, 2017 Bor. Dortmund (3.) [​IMG] Bay. Leverkusen (8.) 6:2 AM 1 1 46'
    25 Mar 17, 2017 Bor. Dortmund (3.) [​IMG] FC Ingolstadt (17.) 1:0 AM 77'
    26 Apr 1, 2017 [​IMG] FC Schalke 04 (9.) Bor. Dortmund (3.) 1:1 AM 3'
    28 Apr 8, 2017 [​IMG] Bayern Munich (1.) Bor. Dortmund (4.) 4:1 AM 90'
    30 Apr 22, 2017 [​IMG] Bor. M'gladbach (9.) Bor. Dortmund (4.) 2:3 AM 1 90'
    Squad: 8, Starting eleven: 4, Substituted in: 4, On the bench: 0, Suspended: 0, Injured: 0
    [​IMG]UEFA CHAMPIO
    Day Date Home team Visiting team Result Pos.
    last 16 2nd leg Mar 8, 2017 Bor. Dortmund [​IMG] Benfica 4:0 AM 1 1 90'
    quarter-finals 2nd leg Apr 19, 2017 Monaco Bor. Dortmund

https://www.transfermarkt.com/chris...16&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Here's the benfica game. Turn s the ball over a little Moreno than you want but also makes tons of things happen. Plenty of nice balls played, and nice run and clever finish.

He has the flexibility to move inside with BVB and it what he did againt Mexico, giving them fits. The assist against Panama had nothing do with what you'd,expect from a wide player... stripped a defender in the box, beat that defender and then had the patience to wait for Dempsey to find the space right in front of the goal. It might be an exaggeration, but isn't childish. He made the play happen.

He's an 18 yo who turns out to be the most talented player we've ever had. He has shown day in and day out in the Bundesliga and CL. He has performed well every time he has stepped on the field for the US. The games he has been least effective is when he has been put out on the wing and needed inferior players to get him the ball. He seems to be unphased by any of this pressure. He seems to actually be enjoying it.

Bajoro repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard
    Yedlin - Besler - Brooks - Villafaña
    Cameron
    Johnson - Bradley - Pulisic (with CP and FB alternating)
    Wood - Altidore

Redmen Rule repped this.
  22. spcuam

spcuam Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Anaheim
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard
    Yedlin-Cameron-Brooks-Lichaj
    Bradley- Williams
    Fab. Nagbe
    Pulisic
    Altidore

I feel this is the best line up right now. I believe they should try Lichaj on the left especially because he can play both sides at fullback. I'm hoping by the World Cup Mckenney is this years pulisic at the number 8 position and can win the position over Acosta (who playing right now)but right Williams( who I want in there) is my number 8. Altidore and wood are my prefer striker but I went with altidore. Wood has a bigger upside but I don't think he finished the season strong. From reports it seems like it was injury related. My starting line up right now.

Next World Cup cycle hopefully we go with 3 man backline with all of the talent coming up at CB I believe that will be a strength and it would help relief our fullback issue. Young Talents for next World Cup cycle at CB. EPB, CCV, Zimmerman, Miazga and Glad. You will still have Brooks, Gonzalez, Ream, Besler, Birnbaum, Hedges and hopefully Opara gets a shot this World Cup cycle. Cameron who is one of my top two CB this cycle I don't see next cycle due to age but you never know.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pulisic is our best player, but still too young to be the game-changer against top opposition. That's still Dempsey.

OGx3 repped this.
  24. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Do I sound like this guy? Lmaof

Pulisic is the best player we have, if he get better, that would be great.

25. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Age is just a number. Both are our best players.

Redmen Rule repped this.