Current best starting Xl?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USAMEX10, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Which makes more sense: Arena didn't want to call up Chandler, or Chandler didn't want to be called up?

2. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Are you privy to some inside information or are we speculating here? I just dont see international players saying they are unavailable for, essentially, must win games.

Winoman and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzo was bad man. Any time anyone pressured him you could literally see him sweat. Zusi might have stolen the show with his piss poor defending but Gonzo was second to him.

I don't want to open the can of worms of Chandler in here. He takes more hate than anyone even when he is ok. But Lichaj isn't integrated as you state.

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Omar was alright and better than Ream. I place the blame on the midfield more then the back line

jaxonmills repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Midfield certainly didn't help. Ream took a hit cause the goal and the unusually poor distribution for his standard but was better than Omar.

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he struggled more and was involved in more last ditch plays.

Why do you think Omar was worse?

7. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Provide sources

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sources for a question?

SamsArmySam repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzo had a bad last couple years with the national team. I'll give you that.

But he was decent overall this set of qualifiers, to help soften the aversion to him, to where he'd be chosen over almost all players with no experience next time, only to almost assuredly being unseated by them in due time.

He struggled somewhat in the first game with a few passes and some bad positioning, but generally he was secure in those departments against Panama.

Dr. Phil is right. He was better than Ream. Ream allowed the only goal by recklessly flinging his body into a crowd on a long throw-in, he got run around a few times because he lacks lateral quicks and anticipation on combo play, and generally he was getting praised for recovering after getting beaten in behind due to poor angles and positioning. This following an appearance against Honduras where he was shaky passing-wise and got run around. Gotta put someone on the roster. Don't feel comfortable yet with 2 of Miazga, Hedges, or Zimmerman on an a-team official comp roster. 1 at a time.

I want to get to the point eventually where we've integrated players at all positions and we have a virtually set first team 23 of guys who are actually reliable, while integrating in between bigger matches not because we have to but because we can. Then we don't have to take a bunch of gambles on inconsistent (at best) vets like Chandler and Gonzo, and flyer prospects. I think we're at the point depth-wise where we can do this now.

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar wasn't exactly great in distribution. He also was poor in his positioning and while that wasn't punished, against a better team it would have been. Ream wasn't ace or anything but Omar was worse.

11. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I am not claiming to know Chandler's mind.

I am speculating that, based on his history of declining callups, the everything or bust nature of the last two qualifiers in light of the 0-2 start, Arena's no nonsense reputation, and the injuries at the RB position known before the callups, Chandler may not have shown the enthusiasm for the callup that Arena wanted to see. That explains his absence better to me than any crap about it not being worth it for him to fly out for one game.

If I am right, I am not saying that this means Chandler is evil. He's entitled to do what is best for him in regards to accepting callups. He doesn't owe the Nats anything. But it does mean I wouldn't put him in my current best XI.

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce Arena has been very much a straight shooter. It makes sense to take him at his word.

I am not sure why you would decide to label Arena's statements as "crap" and instead advance a tinfoil hat theory on why Chandler was not called to camp?

13. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    That's not my impression of Arena. He's a straight shooter when it serves his purposes, and he obfuscates when that serves his purposes. It's pretty common among managers and, well, humans.

What would he gain by calling Chandler out? I'm sure both parties would like to leave that door open, so he said what he said to avoid burning bridges unnecessarily. Makes sense. But given the potential to be absolutely desperate for 3 points in Panama, and given the injuries to Johnson, Yedlin, Lichaj and Cameron, I have a hard time accepting that Bruce made a decision that it just wasn't worth asking Chandler to fly over. It seems to me much more naive to accept Bruce's word on that than it seems paranoid to be suspicious about it.

14. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    I do believe that Bruce is a master politician.

He got out of LA at just the right time. Im not sure anybody has more influence than him in the American game. I think over the years he has learned to play the game with the ussoccer and sports media. Something Klinsmann just couldnt quite grasp.

You never know. I find it quite alarming that BA was sold on Zusi being a decent rb option in Jan camps. Which suggests he had that in mind for quite some time.

15. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    I think Brooks Miazga would be our best cb pairing. I feel like Miazga is pretty mobile for his size and it will add decnt presence in the air. Villafana and Yedlin outside of them.

16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in the future you're correct but right now it seems Brooks plays better with a veteran organizer like Cameron as Brooks is still young himself. That leaves Cameron, Gonzalez and Hedges. Miazga and other young ones like Zimmerman, EPB and CCV may also need that at first. Mix and match and rotate players. That is something the depth should allow that it hasn't in the past.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never herd Gonzo refered to as an organizer.

19. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    --------Wood-----------------
    ------------------Altidore-----
    Jones-----Pulisic----Yedlin
    ------------Bradley-----------
    Johnson-----------Chandler
    ------Brooks---Cameron---
    -------------Howard----------

1st off the bench: Dempsey (starter if healthy)
    Zardes
    Nagbe
    Gonzales
    Lleget
    Morris
    Acosta

Next ones to look out for: Hyndman, Gooch, Arriola

20. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yedlin is not a midfield winger, he is a RB. I do not think he has the ball skills to play that far forward. I give Yedlin the starting job and maybe give Timmy a go with hoping new coach to help him translate club form to the nats. Villafana acquitted himself well at LB and I think we need to go ahead and go with that when he is healthy. I put two of Johnson/Lletget/Nagbe on either side of Pulisic.

I only start one of Jones/Bradley.

I agree with you on EMO, not sure about Gooch yet, probably a championship player next year.

rlrcpa repped this.
  21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what your saying here but I really don't like the use of acquitted here. It just doesn't feel right.

22. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? It's a common expression.

23. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    LOL...it is fairly common when talking about a players game.

24. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    It's counter to his convictions.

OGx3, GHjelm, Balerion and 3 others repped this.
  25. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Bruce had been keeping a casual eye on various MLS guys for national team duty for quite some time. Klinsmann had been on thin ice for some time (cooled his seat down some in the first 4 games of the Copa and then heated it right back up against Argentina) and Bruce had to know that he would be one of the leading candidates to replace Jurgen, especially if JK got the axe after the Hex had already kicked off.