Current best starting Xl?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USAMEX10, Sep 4, 2014.

1. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We'll have Morris and his speed available off the bench too. Holy shxt, do we finally have depth up top?

50/50 Ball repped this.
  2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I am a little worried about width, but no worse than what we had against Honduras. I'll take FJ and Yedlin over Bedoya, Nagbe and Villafana. All three of the forwards can take up spaces from wide positions. All three are different players and should complement each other well. Pulisic, Altidore and wood/Dempsey have combined well together. There is no reason all four couldn't as well. Adding Wood to the other three actually adds movement and target which we didn't have this last game. All the attacking options just reinforces that Bradley needs to stay deep and keeps his role much simpler.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #1328 IndividualEleven, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    The most sensible lineup. Maybe stick Johnson or Nagbe(if he can quickly adapt) at leftback so that more quality is on the field.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dempsey, Wood, Agudelo, Altidore, Morris, Dwyer, Zardes, and possibly Ramirez.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    3421 and 442-diamond are two of the better ways of limiting Dempsey's defensive workload. For balance, I'd want one of the CAMs to be an honest flanker.

6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and I've always thought a good manager could put more attacking talent on the field w/o losing any defense — with the right midfielders. I just think if the US doesn't put enough capable attackers with speed on the field, games against good opponents become an unwatchable quagmire. The addition of CP, the emergence of Wood and the freeing FJ from fullback has me pretty optimistic, whatever the "formation."

7. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    There should be a plan for playing all our best attackers at once but we don't have the luxury of going expansive against everyone from the start.

Current:
    -------------JA----------------
    ------------------CD----------
    ---------CP-------------------
    -----DN--------------JJ------
    ---------------MB---------TC
    --JV---------------------------
    --------MH-------GC--------
    --------------TH--------------

8. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best 11 at this point has to include Altidore, Dempsey, and Pulisic. Altidore may not have scored versus Honduras but his passing was excellent. He was a big reason for several of the goals.

Best 11 today if everyone is healthy:

Howard
    Yedlin-Cameron-Brooks-Villafana
    Nagbe-Bradley-Johnson
    Pulisic
    Dempsey-Altidore

9. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Similar to mine:

--------------- Wood ----- Dempsey ---------------
    ------------------------- Pulisic -------------------------
    ------- Johnson -------------------- Nagbe -------
    ------------------------ Bradley ------------------------
    - Chandler - Brooks - Cameron - Yedlin -
    ------------------------ Howard ------------------------

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah I am not starting Jozy over Wood either, and while CD is fresh off a hattie, I don't know how long he can hold up. I do not think it will be any longer than the gold cup before Hyndman gets a call up to the full men and I look for him to be a regular from then on. Nagbe's spot maybe? Still there are only two teams in Concacaf that can truly give that team trouble, the others we ought to be able to get points from at home or on the road.

If Zimmerman can push Geoff of CB, I have more trust in Geoff at DM than Bradley.

CeltTexan and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy played well but he's no lock. It will be a battle between Dempsey, Wood and Jozy for 2 spots and of the 3 Wood brings something that neither are capable of, the ability to stretch the field. I think the 3 will rotate depending on match up and time between games. Dempsey will eventually be the odd man out as a super sub. Also, I doubt we play the same type of formation with a full squad.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting the ball to Pulisic has a way of making you look good.

13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------wood--------
    ------------------altidore-------
    johnson---dempsey-------pulisic
    ------------------nagbe--------------------
    villafana---brooks---cameron---yedlin

or

------------------wood----------------------
    ---------------------dempsey--------------
    manneh--------feilhaber----------pulisic
    ------------------nagbe-----------------
    johnson-----brooks--cameron----yedlin

14. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you expect that midfield to defend anything?

mike4066, Zinkoff and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first, i think if the us actually started putting lineups out like that, i think youd see teams adjust by playing very defensively.

second, im happy with the backline, especially with the mids dropping back in defense, johnson, nagbe and pulisic are all pretty good defenders.

other teams can try to go all-out attacking against that lineup and see what happens ( i doubt they would though)...either way,i like the chances of that lineup to score a lot.

dortmund won a game 8-4 in champions league this year...i'd rather watch that than backpass inc. with 3 dmids.

16. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are probably right about the formation. It depends on who is available and who the opponent is. I would guess that Bruce will start Jones more often than not.

That said, this is a thread about the best 11, not the formation.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but it is also impossible to incorporate your best 11. This isn't basketball you can't just play all guards for stretchs of the game. Your best 11 means absolutely nothing if your team has a zero balance. The formation help give your team balance through roles and responsibilities.

352 might give us the best balance to get the attackers on the field. However is our third best center back better in one of our attacking players or midfielder's. Or does that 3rd cbs role attacking players to do what they do best. A 4132 may do the same but can the 1 control the midfield to optimize the talent in front by themselves. Best 11 and formation/tactics go hand in hand

18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why isn't he a lock? I don't see another player who plays the traditional #9 role as well as Jozy.

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy doesn't play a traditional 9 role though. The closest player we have to that role is Terrance Boyd. Jozy isn't a lock because he's competing with Dempsey and Wood. In fact he's at a disadvantage in many ways because he likes to operate in the same space that dempsey does. It's one of the biggest reasons he's struggled against better competition when paired with Dempsey. Wood has an advantage in the fact that he creates space for Dempsey/Jozy to operate in and against better teams he can be lethal in the counter in ways they can't. The likely hood is that Jozy and Wood will be paired together with Dempsey as weapon off the bench and Bruce said as much going into these two games. However, if Dempsey has another good game in panama Bruce maybe tempted to ride him a little longer. I doubt we see all 3 on the field together tho I'm sure Bruce will try it in practice.

20. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Hyndman will be a good box to box guy. Put him next to Bradley in a 4-5-1 and let them go to work

-------------------------- Wood -------------------------
    -- Johnson --------- Pulisic --------- Nagbe --
    ----------- Hyndman --------- Bradley -----------
    - Chandler - Brooks - Cameron - Yedlin -
    ------------------------ Howard ------------------------

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I'm not sure if I would say that "traditional #9" = Target Forward. I think the latter is a subset of the former.

22. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, Clint Dempsey just scored a hat trick for the USA and you don't think he's one of the team's best 11 players?

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    So far through the Hex...

Dempsey 3G, 0A
    Pulisic 1G, 2A

Altidore 0G, 2A

Wood, 1G, 0A
    Bradley 1G, 0A
    Lletget 1G, 0A
    Bedoya 0G, 1A

I'm finding a way to get those first four on the field. They all bring something different, complement each other and combine well with each other.

24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the inclusion of a player who has looked decidedly mediocre when playing against competition stronger than Motherwell/St. Johnstone/Hamilton...

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Uh oh... I feel a robust discussion of the the SPL coming on.

Hyndman isn't in my XI today, but easily in my 23 and would bet on him over Lletget, Nagbe, etc over the next 12+ months.