Current best starting Xl?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USAMEX10, Sep 4, 2014.

1. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What are people's opinion on the what the starting Xl should be now currently, knowing the old guard are getting weeded out?

What I think the strongest Xl is with players Klinsmann has already called up. I'm leaving out Jones, Dempsey, Bradley cuz they deserve rest.

----------Zusi-------Altidore------Yedlin
    -----------Mix--------Bedoya-------
    ----------------Cameron--------------
    Chandler/Garza--Brooks-Besler--FJ
    -------------------Guzan---------------

Are Wings are still shiitty no way to sugar coat it you move him to winger. Zusi is still better there than Green offensively even if he's slow and Yedlin because there needs to be at least one burner on the wing. (Gyau hopefully soon, Green needs to be more polished to start).

Hopefully I can add Nguyen on here soon..

deuteronomy repped this.
  2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sabaticals and this rest you speak of is for Golfers that cheat on their wives and dudes recovering from concussions.
    Not for international footballers in their prime. Not after what we know now. Not after seeing Peter Czech play in goal yesterday.

3. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    I wouldnt mind seeing a Bradley-Bedoya-Mix center midfield.

4. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have a go. The old guard is still our best 11, with some adjustments. I would have Howard on there, but he won't be "current" for another year.

------------------------Altidore---------------------------
    Fabian------------------------------------------Donovan
    ------------Dempsey------------Bradley-----------------
    -------------------------Jones-----------------------------
    Chandler-------------------------------------------Yedlin
    ----------------Besler----------Gonzalez-----------------
    -------------------------Guzan-----------------------------

DiscoWarrior11 repped this.
  5. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    InbeforeDon- oh

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    ------------------Altidore
    ----------------------------Dempsey
    --Johnson---Jones-------Bedoya
    ------------------Bradley
    --Beasley----------------------------Yedlin
    -------------Brooks---Gonzalez
    ------------------Guzan

A hybrid formation of the type used in the 1-4 friendly loss against Brasil.

Dempsey plays as a wing-forward who stays high tracking the fullback only to the halfway line. Bedoya would cover the rest.

Johnson plays more as a winger in a two-way role.

The advantages of this formation lie in fewer lung busting recover runs for Jones; more of a playmaking role for Jones; less need of creativity from Bedoya.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    -------------Dempsey---Altidore
    --------Bedoya----Bradley---Johnson
    ---------------------Jones
    --Beasley-----------------------------Yedlin
    -------------Brooks------Gonzalez
    ---------------------Guzan

Plan B would be the 'y' formation. Bedoya could switch with Zusi as determined by the opposition.

8. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    By next year's Gold Cup:
    -------------------------- Altidore ----------------------------
    -- Green ---------------------------------------- Johnson ---
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------- Mix ------------------- Hyndman --------------
    -------------------------- Bradley -----------------------------
    -- Chandler -------------------------------------- Yedlin ----
    --------------------- Brooks ---- Besler ----------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------- Guzan ----------------------------

Winoman, USAMEX10 and bmo180 repped this.
  9. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Current" being the key word there, Mr. Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Emerson Hyndman and/or Julian Green are not going to supplant Clint Dempsey or Alejandro Bedoya over the next 9 months. You're out of your mind. Dempsey is still the NT captain and probably will be until WCQ starts, unless he retires. Mix Diskerud is not going to replace Jones over the next 9 months so long as Jones wants to play and is available.

Green might-*might*-earn a starting role by then depending on how his loan goes. Hyndman isn't going to start for us in an official tournament in June of 2015 unless about 6 guys are suspended, injured or vanished from the face of the earth.

11. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012

Like that alot as a future lineup. But Dempsey will probably still be playing and maybe Jones and Beasley stay around for the Gold Cup

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Dempsey has an outside shot at a roster spot in 2018 if he stays healthy, but he's a virtual lock to be around for the next 2 years, and if he's around, he's going to start, because he's still the best attacking player in the pool.

I would be willing to bet real money that Emerson Hyndman won't be a thing by the time the Hex rolls around. The guy has one (1) cap and people are already putting him in best XI's? Yeesh.

13. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------Jozy--------------
    -----------Dempsey----------
    Green-----------------Johnson
    ---------Bradley--Jones-------
    Chandler--Brooks--Besler--Yedlin
    --------------Guzan-------------

Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Hyndman. His rise will be fast. Once he starts to get stronger, faster and more experienced he's gonna be one of the best players in the pool. He oozes class and thats why he's able to step onto any field and pick up the speed of the game like he's been able to so far.

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He's a Championship midfielder with 1 cap. We have other Championship-level mids and none of them should be starting either. Mix is a better mid than Hyndman and I don't really think Mix should be starting.

15. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Jurgen isn't afraid to drop anyone if they aren't performing. A 32 year old Dempsey is not a lock. By all accounts it sounds like Hyndman is already a pretty polished player, I'd take that bet

16. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I let the veterans slip my man as I was focused on the younger guys and the 3 man midfield. Dempsey takes Green place. Jones takes Hyndman, but although Hyndman doesn't have super potential, his basement is pretty high. At the age of 18, he has touch, vision, and technique. He already is near or at the top of our pool in terms of distribution and security in the midfield.

17. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That would be beautiful... I could see Gyau or Bedoya sliding in for Green/Hyndman if they're not ready yet by then and still be pretty much equally as dangerous. Will be exciting to see the transition to an attacking side take place:thumbsup:

18. gtstock

gtstock Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll take that bet in a heartbeat. Hyndman is probably the most polished 18 year old we've had in the last 10 years, possibly more. It's not really a matter of his national team play, it's what he's been able to do on a club level at a very young age that leads people to believe he'll be a cornerstone of the national team for the next 12 years.

This quote from their manager stood out to me - “I have never seen a player of his age play like he does; he passes like an old professional.”

Say what you want, but that's extremely high praise, even if it's coming from your own coach, but it's not just him who has been mentioning similar things.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I kind of like this with a 3-5-2 if there was an important game that needed to be won tomorrow.

GK: Brad Guzan
    RCB: Geoff Cameron
    CB: John Brooks
    LCB: Matt Besler
    RWB: DeAndre Yedlin
    LWB: Fabian Johnson
    DM: Jermaine Jones
    DM: Michael Bradley
    CAM: Alejandro Bedoya
    SS: Clint Dempsey
    CF: Jozy Altidore

DiscoWarrior11 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  20. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's actually a formation that could work really well. 3-5-2 is just now making its return to the international stage and I think Klinsmann has his heart set on 433/variations. But he should really try it. It works to both Altidore and Dempseys strengths

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The 3-5-2 just makes a ton of sense with the current team. CB is a strength, athletic wing backs are a strength, central attacking players are a strength and traditional wingers are a weakness.

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are really putting yourself way out there by picking Garza for the national team. I don't think 3 CMs will be used until next WC.

23. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    As highly rated a RB prospect as Yedlin is (and yes, he blew me away at the WC), let's remember that Klinsmann decided to stick with the wing trio of Bedoya-Zusi-Davis (otherwise known as the triumvirate of shit) instead of playing Yedlin and pushing FJ up. Not sure if Yedlin is to be trusted as a 90' RB just yet.

24. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I think I just saw two lineups without Matt Besler.

And I thought everyone on Bigsoccer watched the World Cup.

justinpaul10 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He has one cap. There are plenty of guys that have solid club careers that are nonentities internationally.

There's not enough sample size for him for people to be making declarative statements like "cornerstone of the national team".