Cup tied players

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by JasonMa, Jun 10, 2009.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the USOC do players get Cup tied? If so, are players that played in the MLS qualification games cup tied? I was wondering if Ciaran O'Brien can play while he's on loan to Austin since he played in Colorado's qualification games.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that players who play in the USOC proper are cup-tied. I do not believe that MLS play-in games count in that regard. I think we've gone back and forth about what those games are or aren't, but I do not believe they are USOC games for purposes of player participation.

3. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of those questions that come up every year.

US Soccer Bylaws and Policies page: http://www.ussoccer.com/governance/laws.jsp.html

2008-09 United States Soccer Federation, Inc. Policy Manual: http://images.ussoccer.com/Documents/cms/ussf/FINAL 2008-2009 Policy Manual.pdf

Doth Quoteth:

Section 203. Player eligibility

(a) ... Players on loan from another team or league may not be included on an Open Cup roster, with the exception of the following: 1) Loaned players originating from teams competing in leagues that are not active participants in the Open Cup Tournament or qualifying process (professional indoor leagues, foreign clubs, etc.); or 2) players on loan from other US clubs for a period of greater than 90 days....

(c) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (d) of this section, any player who plays in any part of an Open Cup match for a team, may not be included in the Open Cup roster or play for any other team in the Open Cup competition for that year.

(d) A player of a team competing in the Open Cup Adult Council category that participated in any part of an Open Cup match for that team who is properly registered on, or transferred to, a team in the Open Cup Professional Division category, is eligible to be included on the Open Cup roster of that Professional Division team and play for that Professional Division team. In doing so, the amateur player that participates with a Professional Division team loses Open Cup eligibility with that Adult Council team for the remainder of that year's competition.

I think that part (a) answers your loaned-player question.

To translate parts (c) and (d): One exception to the traditional definition of cup-tied, is that a player on an amateur ("Adult Council") team, may then sign with a pro team, and be on the roster of the pro team. However, he essentially becomes cup-tied to that team, since he loses cup elibility for the amateur side.