Cuba National team news and players - [R]

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by soccer krazy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ccuba71

ccuba71 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Faife in Tampa and Alcantara in Miami, neither of them play football any more at least at club level, Alcantara is working on one Hospital in Miami and someone told me that he will play in the Copa Latina in Miami

2. zatopek

zatopek Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Lost in Webspace
    Very very sad!
    i saw them in the gold cup match 2007 cuba vs honduras, not the best game for cuba, but i think they are talented players!
    they should get a chance in nasl or usl..

3. ccuba71

ccuba71 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I though that too, but sadly been cuban and soccer player is not a good mix, people look at you as if you come for another planet, only a few people want to give you an oportunnity, I am not a player but I close friend of alot of them and is painfull the way them be treated for only been cubans. It is funny how regular people can see the quaility of this players but coach don't. In the other hand like a coach tell me one time is better sign a brazilian, mexican or argentinian because them bring more people to the stadium that a cuban

4. zatopek

zatopek Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Lost in Webspace
    I don*t like the over all business thinking.
    its all about the sport!!
    last year the cuban nationalteam stayed in Germany, they did a lot of games here and left a very good impression!
    and i know that faife and alcantara where the most talented.
    perhaps its about the non existing market in cuba, i dont know..?
    but isnt football/soccer becoming more interesting in cuba?

5. ccuba71

ccuba71 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the interest and practice of football in Cuba has been grow in up in the last years, now is complete normal see more kids playing football that baseball something hard to beleive 20 years ago. Still the media coverage is really poor with not tv or radio broadcasting of the cuban championship games or national team games and that have a big negative impact in our players promotion.
    In the other hand our players have to defected from the national team if them want to play in a profesional team and take almost a year for them to get the paper work to allow to them to play, but then they far away for they best shape and people complete forgot about who their are (that happen specially to Alcantara)

6. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  7. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  8. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  9. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
  10. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
  11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    call-up list anyone?

12. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    All I can find is a starting lineup:Vismel Castellanos en la puerta, Yenier Márquez, Reysandri Fernández, Joel Colome y Kenier Dranguet en la zaga; Jaine Colomé, Carlos Domingo Francisco y Alaín Cervantes en la media, y como delanteros, Ariel Martínez, Yosniel Mesa y Roberto Linares.

http://www.radiorebelde.cu/noticia/cuba-frente-salvador-panama-futbol-20110321/

Cuba has also scheduled a game for March 29th against Panama.

13. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Cuba lost 2-0
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/i...e-impusieron-en-preparatorio-para-copa-de-oro

14. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  15. bartecky

bartecky Member

Jun 6, 2009
    New York, USA
    Club:
    KP Legia Warszawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    According to roonba.com Cuba - Nicaragua 1:1. Since Nicaragua is comparable to Belize in terms of football level it is a superb result for Nicaragua.

16. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i wouldn't really take anything from this game and the cuban supports shouldn't either because cuba probably used a bunch of subs. these are the kind of games where a coach is just trying to figure out the right combination of players to use for a major tournament so he's still having at look at the players. with this game being so close to the gold cup and the cuban players not trying to get hurt how hard do you think cuba really played ? . Nicaragua on the other hand had something to prove based on the simple fact that cuba is ranked higher than them on the fifa ranking and they also qualified for a tournament which Nicaragua failed to qualify for. so you can bet they took this game serious.

17. bartecky

bartecky Member

Jun 6, 2009
    New York, USA
    Club:
    KP Legia Warszawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I know, but it is not Nicaragua's fault that Cubans are testing their players. If they didn't mean to play seriously they should have organized A Team - B Team game not an official international match. For Nicaragua it is a great result. If they can repeat this tomorrow I'll be impressed.

18. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    sure its not Nicaragua's fault but cuba was probably happy with a draw knowing they had a good look at their back up goalie & a few back up players... do you really think cuba would come out guns blazing for a friendly game that means nothing to them a week and couple days before they take part in a major tournament :rolleyes: in a game like this you let 50-50 tackles go.. this is nothing more than a high profile training session for a team before taking part in a major tournament. you got 1 team with nothing to prove other than seeing how a couple subs play in certain positions while the starters take it easy. then you have another team that has everything to prove..ive seen big European teams like Italy & Portugal lose or draw to weaker European sides in friendly games then crush that same country in real tournaments. why ? because these weaker teams have more to prove in a game like this. friendly or not their trying to win based on the fact that the team their playing has a richer or more accomplished football program and also that team qualified for the tournament they failed to qualify for.. we saw how cuba played in the Caribbean cup once they qualified for the gold cup that game meant nothing to them. games like this just gets a shrug of the shoulders and i wouldn't read too much into it... cuba will be a hard test for any team at the gold cup just like they've always been. if im a fan of a team in the gold cup these are the kind of games that make you neriovs because you know a team like Nicaragua will play hard to prove something and 1 of you star players can get slide tackled and pick up a injury that can put him out of the tournament. this is why EPL teams use a bunch of subs vs MLS teams.. the game is nothing more than a high profile training session. the only teams in concacaf i think that would take their friendlies serious is mexico, Jamaica,Honduras ect because their fans will go crazy if they lose or even draw with a weaker side.

all i can say for Nicaragua is i hope this gives their confidence a boost, as for cuba i hope your coach had a good look at the players he used.

19. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    sure its not Nicaragua's fault but cuba was probably happy with a draw knowing they had a good look at their back up goalie & a few back up players... do you really think cuba would come out guns blazing for a friendly game that means nothing to them a week and couple days before they take part in a major tournament :rolleyes: in a game like this you let 50-50 tackles go.. this is nothing more than a high profile training session for a team before taking part in a major tournament. you got 1 team with nothing to prove other than seeing how a couple subs play in certain positions while the starters take it easy. then you have another team that has everything to prove..I've seen big European teams like Italy & Portugal lose or draw to weaker European sides in friendly games then crush that same country in real tournaments. why ? because these weaker teams have more to prove in a game like this. friendly or not their trying to win based on the fact that the team they're playing has a richer or more accomplished football program and also that team qualified for the tournament they failed to qualify for.. we saw how cuba played in the Caribbean cup once they qualified for the gold cup in their game vs grenada that meant nothing to them. games like this just gets a shrug of the shoulders and i wouldn't read too much into it... cuba will be a hard test for any team at the gold cup just like they've always been. if im a fan of a team in the gold cup these are the kind of games that make you nervous because you know a team like Nicaragua will play hard to prove something and 1 of your star players can get slide tackled and pick up an injury that can put him out of the tournament. its like EPL teams playing their starters for 20 minutes against MLS teams then subbing them out to have a look at the subs (high Profile Training match)

all i can say for Nicaragua is i hope this gives their confidence a boost, as for cuba i hope their coaching staff had a good look at their players form.

20. bartecky

bartecky Member

Jun 6, 2009
    New York, USA
    Club:
    KP Legia Warszawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I understand. I've seen much stronger teams losing preparation games in the past, so Cuba drawing with Nicaragua is no big deal. The point is that even second 11 of Cubans should win every game with Nicaragua. They are week before the tournament and they fight for starting eleven spot. They can do better than 1:1 with Nicaragua.
    I've seen both teams and there is no comparison between them. I wish they played 80% for at least one game before the tournament. This would give us a chance to estimate their strength and chances for GC2011.

21. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Cuba beat Nicaragua 2-1 in the 2nd match tonight.

In the first match, Cuba only equalised in injury time, or the scoreline would have been worse for them.

22. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  23. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile