CSN, Huge Mistake?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by neophilus, Apr 18, 2010.

1. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what Fios says. I don't necessarily believe that, especially considering a recent FCC ruling regarding Comcast/DirecTv.

2. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine the issue didn't come up when the contract was negotiated.
    A Celtics playoff game gets priority, and the exact schedule was only known very recently. The Revs have no control over some technician in New York who fails to pull the right switch.

3. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do it for NESN.

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a Red Sox game. Different story.

5. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm sure it did.

The point is that the Revs should have had a staffer on top of this issue and working with Comcast doing planning for any realistic scenario. "How do we handle a conflict with a Celtics game?" is an entirely realistic scenario and the exact means for handling it should have been worked out EXACTLY in advance of events and smoothly kicked in when it came up.

Something like "The Red Sox are going 16 innings" is not necessarily anything you can plan for. If it happens, it happens. Tape delay / next day replay is about the only thing that can be done.

6. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    "The New England Revolution and Comcast SportsNet are happy to announce that the regional sports network will be the team’s exclusive 2010 television partner in New England."

[​IMG]

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be a Verizon issue.

For this hockey season starting this past October, Fox Sports Southwest created an alternate channel (Fox Sports Plus) and started using it when the Mavericks and Stars had games at the same time, with the Stars' ending up on FSSW+. And now, whenever the Rangers and FCD are on FSSW at the same time, FCD ends up on FSSW+.

Anyway, every cable and satellite provider in north Texas has FSSW+ somewhere on their system... except Fios.

8. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like someone said earlier they do it for NESN, so it's not like they wont do it period, they just arent doing it for this. I dont know whether it's Comcast dicking them around, or it's just Verizon dosent give a fugg about a Revs game enough to do it for this, either way we arent getting one.

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REVS--STFU and fix the problem :(

10. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Cox RI didn't show the game.

11. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! I guess BS is BS no matter how much sugar, soy sauce and honey you put on top.

It amazes me to no end the amount of "bending over backwards and taking it with a red hot poker" people put up with to justify this FO/Org/Ownership has no intention of ever CARING about this team and/or it's LOYAL fan base.

I was totally pissed that they went with CSN. For the most part, anyone half interested in watching a Revs-SanJose match at 10:30 on a Saturday night, when finding out the game isn't there, simply goes off to watch some re-run movie on HBO or hits the sack early. The only losers were die hards going nuts looking for it.

I've got dish..and the game started on time on the alternate channel..although as I'm surfing to find 453, I accidentally came across and actually clicked on some triple X feature and rented it. I tried to switch off..but now I have to spend Monday morning calling dish to say I never watched "Denny Crane does Dallas"...:D

Anyone in the Kraft Org. who actually reads these threads..It's TOTALLY YOUR FAULT for this debacle NOT CSN's. You're the CUSTOMER! They're THE VENDOR and YOU CHOSE THEM!!! NICE WORK MORONS!

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  14. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Comment posted on revolutionsoccer.net

It's "awaiting moderation" Ironic, it's a singularly immoderate comment.

OTOH, if it doesn't show up, well, I'll just start this year's "the Revs' FO are craven poltroons because..." thread

15. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think the Revs just decided to make that up? :rolleyes:

16. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    If you were the owner of a professional sports team and were unable to watch the TV broadcast when scheduled what would you do? I can only assume Mr. Bilello and J. Kraft had some interesting conversations throughout the weekend. I can only hope that a meeting with Comcast is set up at Gillette to discuss the relationship. It will take time for this relationship to grow. A phone call or email won't do it IMO. KSG and CSN need to sit down and review the relationship. Its time to be on the same page.

18. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I called Verizon (two different times), I was told that the issue was the cost of the broadcast rights to the secondary CSN channel.

19. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who's to say they didn't? How do they handle a conflict with a Celtics game? Celtics take priority, end of discussion.
    That wasn't the problem Saturday night. The problem was a technical glitch.

Neither of us have any idea how the negotiations for a TV contract were handled. But do you really think a team owned by the guy who chaired the NFL's broadcast committee doesn't know how to?

20. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No.

I think he doesn't care and isn't paying attention, nor any of his competent people.

21. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So for everyone complaining here please tell me what station you want the games on?

NESN--way to many conflicts, would have at least 15 tape delayed games

4,5,7,2-- not gonna happen their network affiliates would not allow them to take off network TV.

38-- didn't work and no HD(not having games in HD was the most complained thing about 38 on here)

that leaves CSN- which in all honesty was the best choice, you get HD and the least amount of delays.

I understand this weekend sucked, but it will not happen often.

22. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    "We just got off the plane and found out about the conflict"

It's not the existence of the conflict that I find so problematic. OF COURSE a Celtics playoff game is going to take precedence. What I find so jaw-droppingly astonishing is that the Revs FO got blindsided by this.

I simply can't believe that, if you're PAID to pay attention to coordinating the broadcasting of live sports events in the Boston area, you wouldn't have some awareness of when the NBA playoffs might be dropping, and whether or not that might cause you any issues.

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right - it's kind of funny how they found out about this conflict as they got off the plane considering this whole thing may have been avoided had someone used deductive logic and planned for this "what if" scenario ahead of time. The irony is Bilello has an operations background and a degree from MIT so you'd think he'd have all these bases covered from 18 different angles.
    • First, the NBA announced the playoffs will begin on Saturday April 17, 2010 as soon as the 2009-10 schedule came out.
    • Unless whoever is in charge of broadcasting responsibilities/CSN is living under a rock surely a 10 second glance at the NBA standings anytime in the last month tells you the Celts were going to the playoffs and hence they would be playing on Saturday April 17. This was a known factor long before their plane landed on the west coast.
    • Third, if they knew about the conflict when they got off the plane they should have communicated that via the blog or otherwise gotten their rep as CSN on the horn to ensure they resolved the conflict long before game time.
    These points should scream POTENTIAL CONFLICT woo woo "Smithers check on that!"

When the Revs were negotiating the CSN contract, the dates of potential conflicts should have been identified, discussed, and coordinated months ahead of time. The Revs (with the Krafts' NFL broadcasting credibility overseeing the process) should have made sure that CSN has ALL the technical prerequisites in place to show the game throughout New England, which includes FiOS and other cable providers. If you can't show your team's games for people who are already staying up late or trying to watch the game at bars...well that's pretty bad.

What's troubling about this situation is if the Revs did their due diligence but CSN dropped the ball that's one thing. However, the fact they came out and said in effect they were blindsided by the conflict belies their ineptitude at managing the TV broadcast contract with CSN. Echoing others in this thread, the Revs/KSG should really be calling CSN to the carpet today for screwing up bigtime. This type of thing is a pretty big screw up which recedes trust and really calls into question how they run many other facets of the organization.

"Fail to plan, plan to fail."

24. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they were about anything other than the need to get the Patriots Draft Day hats out onto the Prop Shop floor, I'd be surprised. There's not even an acknowledgement of the situation on the team webpage. They did tweet once about it, which I guess is something, but personally I think it this calls for a little something more than a 3 line Twitter post, you know?

Events like this do not help to shake the team's minor league image. If problem 1/100th the size of Saturday night befell the Patriots, STHs would get handwritten apology letters. We get a tweet. This was a totally forseeable thing that should have been addressed as soon as the deal was signed.

25. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm saying it wasn't ********ing on, that the blog post was a lie.