CSA launching Canadian Premier League

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by fuzzx, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The only part I disagree with Bobby McMahon analysis

• No matter how noble the objectives of the Canadian Premier League, at some point the needs and goals of a national sport governing body are surely going to come into conflict with a group of for-profit owners.
    That's one of the very first thing that was taken care of when Victor Montagliani started the CPL project with Bob Young and Scott Mitchell before the hiring of Paul Beirne. The CSA being a major stakeholder in CPL while the league will have the monopoly on all 3 top divisions and the women's league reduce the risks of conflicts.

Their vision are very much aligned

2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was about to say that despite some kinks that need to be worked out, there can be no denying that overall SUM turned out to be a net positive for soccer in the US than a negative. Without SUM MLS would not be where it is today, and arguably national team soccer might not be as popular or as exposed as it is today. TV money is very important in today's sports world. CPL starting right off the bat with a Canadian equivalent of SUM means they will rise in Canada much quicker than MLS did here.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SUM was a precondition, but it didn't "save" MLS. What saved MLS was SUM being around to leverage 1) InterLiga and FMF Mexico National Team games in the United States and 2) the SARS relocated 2003 WWC.

In the immediacy, it was InterLiga - the Copa Libertadores Cup qualifying tournament played by LigaMX sides every January and the Women's World Cup that jumpstarted SUM. Both by infusing a lot of cash into the system and by extension convincing Robert Kraft to exercise his option for a 1/10th share.

Over the longer term, bringing in the repeat business of the annual Mexican National Team cash cow tours of the U.S. on board and the bundling of the 2002 and 2006 cycles English language rights to FIFA finals provided the repeatable business, and allowed SUM to move beyond an event to event freelance outgrowth of MLS to a full-fledged soccer/sports media and sponsorship company.

JasonMa and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The CPL thing just sounds like an ex player saying he's going to become an agent.

That's all well and good, but to really be viable you're going to have to develop some clients and gain experience.

The competition is a lot stiffer than it was in 2001-2003, and starting with the CPL and CSA isn't going to have the immediate payoff of being able to leverage the sweet WWC sponsorship dollars or the FMF/LigaMX tour money.

BHTC Mike, jaykoz3 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the CSB will bundle the CPL media rights with the CNT’s media rights.....

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to say yes.. I was wondering how they were going to get CPL games on TV, bundling it with CNT games would seem to be how.

Of course, the next question is, what kind of deal do the CNT have now and when does it end?

7. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yoshou repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had that idea first!

AndyMead and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  10. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next thing you know they are going to expand into our 3 biggest markets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I believe the NHL already done something like that. Besides, US cities contacted the league to join and were told no.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I remember the Baltimore No Names in the CFL!

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cities did? Sure they did.

oknazevad, jayd8888 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don't you know, it's all about cities. They deserve things. And Don Garber chooses.

song219 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You know what I mean. Groups for teams in US cities

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just envisioning mayors of US cities filling out paperwork to join a Canadian league.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am only slightly less skeptical of that.

Why would groups for teams in US cities not apply for teams in US leagues given ( a ) we have a bunch of them actively seeking applicants (and on the cheap) and ( b ) you would not, were you accepted, then have to travel to and from Canada all the time?

Look, this is all cute and everything, what you guys are doing, but you’re all selling it a bit too strong.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not selling anything, the US interest in CPL came from the league itself, not myself. I posted Twitter posts above.

I have to agree that it's a bit strange that US groups would want to join CPL instead of applying to MLS or USL. They were denied by CPL and the league has no plans to allow US based teams.

As for the reasons why...

My guess is no particular order

1) Border cities due to proximity like Buffalo, Plattsburgh, Detroit or cities in Vermont (pardon my limited knowledge in US geography)

2)No chance of joining MLS anytime soon. Makes sense. There's arguably a line up to join MLS and the league's condition seems quite extensive, rightly so at this stage of the league. I guess some wants in in the soccer business but knows they have no chance to join MLS

3)NASL folding. That's another option off the table.

4)Following the preceding point, not being able to get into MLS (US D1 league), they tried to get in Canada soon to start D1 league at an initial lower cost due to the inauguralseason set in 2019. I'm not too familiar with the business side of USL but CPL will operate with much higher level of budgets than USL.

However, USSF have all the power here and I don't see why on earth they'd allow that to happen. Those groups would be redirected to USL I would think. FIFA aren't a fan of cross-border league, hence the very few exceptions

19. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys it was the Cosmos.

AndyMead repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We all thought so too, but who would be the other teams? There was more than one. A group from Buffalo makes sense to me due to the proximity and not being remotely on MLS radar.

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami FC most likely, or possibly Jacksonville Armada...

22. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly Detroit City and the other two leftovers from the NASL. No league needs those organizations weighing it down.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1948 Robert Borden, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    York 9 FC is confirmed for the Canadian Premier League

Population: 1.1 Millions

Immediatly north of Toronto and part of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), representing the 9 municipalities of York Region

-Vaughan
    -Richmond Hill
    -Markham
    -Newmarket
    -Aurora
    -King
    -Georgina
    -East Gwillimbury
    -Witchurst-Stoufville

988456328694710272 is not a valid tweet id

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  24. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they have an official, or anticipated to be official, stadium?

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And Halifax update https://globalnews.ca/news/4160093/halifax-council-apr-24/
    • Council is being asked to consider a one-year lease agreement for the 2018 season, which will function as a trial run for the project. The municipality is also being asked to examine a separate three-year lease that will have SEA use the stadium to host Canadian Premier League soccer games in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

If passed, SEA will hold eight events during 2018:

• One Senior Men’s rugby game between Canada and the United States on June 23.
    • Three soccer games in July between Nova Scotia’s under-23 team and England’s under-20 team. The games are scheduled for July 14, 18 and 21 but are conditional on the status of the field after the rugby game in June.
    • One rugby game between Canada and England’s under-20 teams in August.
    • One rugby game and one soccer game in September.
    • One high school football game, the High School Turkey Bowl in October.