Crystal Palace Thread [R]

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by JRedknapp11, Dec 8, 2004.

1. bigbrooklynlou

bigbrooklynlou New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Re: Crystal Palace Thread :

and oh, THFC1, Routledge 'apologizes'

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...ge+makes+Eagles+apology&channel=football_home

Which reminds me of the game we had against Birmingham in early spring of 05. Every time Morrison got the ball, BOOOO. Gray? BOOOOO. Steve Bruce makes a substitution? BOOOOOO.

Routledge makes a run on the wings? BOOOOO.

Its amazing how this kid, who came up from the CP academy, if only he kept his mouth shut and maybe even thrown the fans a bone here and there, could have left the club and be remembered fondly. As it stood, he entered the ranks of Gray, Morrison, and Bruce in the hearts of the fans while still playing for the club.

Dummy, you should of said those words last year.

2. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London

Routledge is a good lad really and he is quiet.

Looking at that team you wrote out, the wingers look good, Kolkka is a good player. Also for the centre midfield along with Aki and Hughes, Palace have Ben Watson and Tom Soares so their is a lot of competition in that area of the pitch.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=296123&cpid=10&CLID=31&lid=&title=Torghelle's+Greece+move&channel=football_home

Torghelle is close to completing a loan move to Panathinaikos.

3. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

Agreed. Wayne is a good kid. And as a kid, he is prone to do the occasional childish things. None of the CP fans hold the move against him. Its hard to turn down a chance to play in the EPL. Its the shirt thing that got everyone in an uproar.

As for the latest rumors ... Torghelle was loaned out to make room for ... Mellor. Liverpool looking to make a season long loan of Mellor to CP. Two more days till the end of Silly Season. CP getting Mellor and Bentley on loans will be a huge coup.

4. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London

Linked with Palace today is Joseph Desire-Job from Middlesbrough for £1m

5. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL

GK................Kiraly................ (arguably one of the best keepers)
    CD.......Ward............Fitz Hall.......(Solid middle)
    CB...Butterfield ..............Granville.(Solid quick pairing)
    MF..........Aki..........Hughes......... (Good for CCC only)
    W.....Macanuff...............Koolka..... (on paper solid)
    FW........Macken......AJ................ (EPL quality)

Sky Sports thinks the Eagles will be 3rd. That is quite possible.

PREDICTED POSITION: 3rd
    STAR MAN: Andy Johnson
    ONE TO WATCH: Gary Borrowdale
    SKYBET ODDS: 11/2
    INS: Jon Macken (Manchester City), Darren Ward (Millwall), Jobi McAnuff (Cardiff)
    OUTS: Wayne Routledge (Tottenham), Darren Powell (Southampton), Vassilios Lakis (AEK Athens), Neil Shipperley (Sheffield United

6. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London

Just popping by as the new season starts for you boys in only a matter of hours now. Good luck to the Palace for the season. My first GF came from a family of Eagle's supporters, so I have a little soft spot for them. I reckon it'll be you and Norwich for the top 2 this season.

* Not that the man isn't a legend. He isn't a great manager though and um, er, slightly nutty. :)

7. OrlandoSPUR

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL

..not a good start today for CP, a loss to newly promoted Luton Town. Although the bright spot is that AJ only has 39 goals to go.

8. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London

The newly promoted teams can be a nightmare to play, they have come through last season with a winning mentality and playing a team that got relegated they obviously have a losing mentality. Its only the 1st game of the season all the other favourites only got a point today (Wolves, Norwich & Southampton).

9. OrlandoSPUR

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL

do you reckon AJ has even a slight chance to make the WC?

10. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London

I think his chances were slim even if he did stay in the Premiership. England have Owen, Rooney who are certain to be going assuming England get their and barring injuries and Defoe has one and a half feet on the plane. I think Sven will take four strikers so England need abit of flexibility so he will most likely take a big man possibly Crouch or someone else.

11. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London

Palace have had a £2m bid for Clinton Morrison accepted. Its between Norwich and Palace. I hope he goes to Palace because he will score more goals than Jon Macken IMO.

How ironic it would be having Morrison and AJ upfront after they AJ was involved in the deal that took Morrison to Birmingham.

12. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
  13. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

The joys of work .... ugh.

As stated by THFC, Palace have gotten Morrison back. All I can say is Thank You Steve Bruce and BCFC. Clint was the gift that kept on giving. Thank you Clint's mom for pushing Clint to return to CP. Clint and AJ have already developed a love fest, High Fivin each other, patting each other - beautiful. Thank yoyu SJ, just one more piece, all we need is a freakin' attacking midfielder.

The first 2 games were a horror with a make-do CP midfield (Aki and Hughes were out due to niggling injuries) and backline (Ward stayed out of half the first game and Granville is still recovering). Dowie was forced to play the kids and it showed as CP was being bossed around in the midfield. The last 20 minutes of the Stoke game on Saturday was the first time in the campaign that the advertised first team played and it showed in the amount of possession and opportunities generated.

As for the AJ goals, they were very very pretty. (See link) nice little dummy / 1-2's with Macken on the first and Clint in the second.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/craigdwallace/Stoke/050827_Palace_Stoke.wmv

As for AJ in the England team, seems he's the injury backup. If Crouch wasn't out with a hammy pull, I doubt he would have gotten the call up. That said, congrats to the call up AJ. well deserved.

Countdown before I go to London, 4 weeks.

14. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London

What games are you going to when you come to London?

15. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

The footie Itinerary is as follows (definites):

Sep. 23 (arrive)
    Sep. 24th CP v. Preston
    Sep. 26th Tottenham v. Fulham
    Sep. 27th CP v. Sheff Wed
    Oct. 3rd QPR v. CP
    Oct. 5 (depart)

And I'm trying to score tickets to the Fulham ManU game, Arsenal Birmingham, or Charlton THFC.

If really bored may catch a Leyton Orient game or some CP reserve team games.

TH, where are you located? I think a beer or two may be involved ...

16. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

CPFC Latest

Crystal Palace put a nice performance in today winning their 4th game in a row and lifting the team to 9th place. its also the 4th clean sheet in a row as well. Still to early to be looking at the table, but its nice to see the club within striking distance of the top 6.

Due to injury to our lone winger (McNuff) CP was forced to play a 433 with Macken, AJ and Morrison being the front three. The game saw a tap in goal from Clint and 90th minute AJ vs. the keeper put away.

Considering how discombobulated CP was at the start of the season, little by little, the parts of the team are starting to gel. The back four are all on the same sheet of music with Ward calling the shots. The front line is starting to gel now. AJ is learning to play with others (he played 451 for an entire year in the EPL) Clint is getting back into the rhythm of first team action, and Macken is getting his confidence back bit by bit. A nice goal from him will do wonders for his head. The boy needs it.

The midfield is still in flux with Mcnuff out and Aki and Hughes coming off minor knocks, but the kids that were thrown to the Wolves (and the hatters) in the first 2 games are starting to show promise. Soares set up the first goal with an end to end run weaving his way through a bunch of Hull players. Though we still need an offensive midfielder if we get promoted, it does bode well for the club's future if the two kids (Watson and Soares both on the U-21 team) learn their trade on the first team this year.

Next up Reading. This will be a huge game and real test of the slowly gelling squad considering how Reading is 2nd.

17. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The lack of good wide players is why I tipped Palace to struggle this time. Last time there was Gray and Routledge, now it's just McAnuff.

18. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

McAnuff and now, drumroll please .... Marco Reich. Already the Germany / WWII jokes are flying fast and furious.

CP Fan #1 - Marco Reich is now on trial at Selhurst
    CP Fan #2 - What's he on trial for? War Crimes?
    Cp Fan #1 - No Left wing.
    CP Fan #2 - What number will he get on his uni? Twenty Nein?
    CP Fan #3 - Is he married? Just wondered what the Reich Stag party was like.
    CP Fan #2 - Great goal he scored last night to win the game against Coventry.
    CP Fan #! - So that was the First Reich strike. Does that mean we should get really worried if he scores another two?

and on and on and on ...

AJ News
    AJ had his operation to clean up his knee and will be out till mid-October. Of course this all happened to screw up my vacation since he will be coming back to play AFTER I leave the UK.

Macken News
    Macken out for 3 weeks due to a severe hamstring pull. Again god is messing with my vacation plans.

Morrison News
    The only person I have to look forward to seeing play (along with Kiraly and his magic pajamas). So of course he will get hit by a bus before Friday and be match fit by October 7th.

19. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London

I forgot about this thread.

So BrooklynLou didn't see Palace lose or Tottenham lose which is more important:p
    Shame you never saw AJ play.

Palace 1 Preston 1 (Morrison '90 mins)
    Palace 2 Sheff Wed 0 (Morrison '16 mins, Whelan O-G '56 mins)
    Q.P.R. 1 Palace 3 (Reich '14 & '17, Soares '89)

Reich must be signed on a permanant deal.

20. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

Hey TH, I'm back. came in on Thursday and lucky I did because we almost had a house flooding on Saturday from a blocked sewer line.

On Palace

The boys are finally finding some form, and more importantly, a clue.

The team is for some reason mentally fixated on Wingers. They may have produced some fine strikers but any success they have had is due to guys like Routledge and Gray, and now McNuff and Reich. Without the width the team doesn't seem to function or work properly. For lack of a better term, they sputter.

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Soares and Watson (more on him later) can become a good central midfield. Simon Jordan's money can probably be better spent on picking up two more wingers as back up. Hell, have a reunion party and see if Birmingham is willing to sell us back Gray.

On Reich

This years shirt order will have his name on it. Is he fast? No. Has he fully meshed with the guys yet? No. Does he know what to do with the damn ball on the left wing? Yes. Dowie, sign the boy up now.

On Watson

Will become a world beating midfielder one day. When is that day? The day he stops listening to the voices in his head.

Watching Watson during the Preston and SW games, you realize that at pretty much all times he does the opposite of what needs to be done. The fan has a birds eye view of the pitch and sees everthing with a certain amount of clarity that the players on the pitch do not possess. Everytime Watson got the ball, he passed when he should have shot, went backwards when he should have rushed forward. Passed wide instead of putting a through ball down the middle. He frustrates the hell out of Palace supporters because he is so technically good and yet so mentally bad all at the same time.

I don't think its an issue of vision or confidence, but an issue of putting a chip inside his head to make him do the opposite of what his brain tells him. He needs to go into the soccer equivalent of Costanza mode and realize that his instincts are telling him the wrong thing.

On Atmosphere

Wow. I can't say how great it was seeing Palace up close. All the people / fans I met were fantastic. On one of the Palace boards Barry Richardson seeing I was coming to the games from the US arranged for a tour of the stadium prior to the Preston game. The Palace DJ Dave Fox even announced us furing the game and crammed our bags with old programs. Dinner and drinks with other fans was a blast. Seeing the stands filled with kids brough home how much a family / neighborhood thing palace is for South London / Croydon.

The best game atmosphere wise was the QPR game. The Palace fans were singing non-stop. Hell, they were singing in the subway after the game as well. A group broke out in song at Victoria station.

On the rest of the season

I'm not too worried. Thankfully Palace has two thing most of our rivals lack. Cash and Depth. QPR without Gallen and a few others was a lesser team. The top 5 teams of the table (Sheff Utd, Reading, Luton, Wolves, Watford) are a few injuries/knocks away from mid table mediocrity. Its that depth that allowed Palace to get promotion two years ago and will probably insure its promotion this year as well.

Upcoming Matches

The dreaded Brighton rivalry heats up again on the 18th and Liverpool in the Cup on the 25th. I feel a cold coming on Monday night of the 24th. AJ may not be ready in time for the Coventry game on the 15th, but he should be set for Brighton. We actually saw him jogging lightly and waving to the fans on the Sheffield Wednesday game. Tiny little guy.

On the Spurs
    First off, I can never become a TH fan. Nope. No way. Never in a million years.

Why, you may ask? BECAUSE OF THE FRICKIN' LONG ASS WALK TO WHITE HART LANE FROM THE TUBE STOP! Who the hell builds a stadium miles from any convinient public transportation? 20 minute walk my ass. The trek from the Seven Sisters tube stop to the stadium is a half hour easy. Its 20 minutes on a trot which is waht you usually do it in thanks to the scenary from the stop to the stadium. I live in Brooklyn and have worked in some less than stellar neighborhoods, but the neighborhood where WHL is, left me a little bit concerned.

I got to see the Spurs v. Fulham game. Showed up 10 miutes late (see section on the long ass walk) and missed the only goal of the night.

1. Your new midfielder David did not impress. Seemed at times to suffer from Watson disease.

2. Seeing Arsenal sputter, I realize why TH made a splurge in the off-season. Arsenal is vulnerable and TH has a legitimate shot of making it into the top 4 club of the EPL. All they need is a muscular striker that can head the ball. Defoe has great pace, but without a big guy in the front, it can be nuetralized.

3. Can you please pick a midfielder from the 10 you already possess and loan him to us come January. Pretty please? You're making a run for European football come next year, you cant play them all and you'll need to maintain their form somehow.

Pictures

Tour of the Grounds
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/lmanios/pictures/selhurst1.jpg
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/lmanios/pictures/selhurst2.jpg

Family and new Friend
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/lmanios/pictures/selhurst3.jpg

QPR Game

Warmup
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/lmanios/pictures/qpr1-warm.jpg

My Bald Head
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/lmanios/pictures/qpr1-me.jpg

Marco Reich goal # 1
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/lmanios/pictures/qpr1-mr.jpg

Marco Reich goal # 2
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/lmanios/pictures/qpr1-mr2.jpg

21. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

And some news ....

Butterfield keeps options open

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?...id=&lid=&title=Butterfield+keeps+options+open

Butterfield 'is keeping his options open'. If he keeps playing the way he did against QPR, his bags may already have been packed. All through the game he failed to run after loose balls or track back quickly enough. I actually did not yell at Watson during the game because I was too busy screaming "Butters! Move you ass". The QPR goal was his fault. He broke the main Dowie rule, ie a lack of hustle. Its what got Kolka and Lakis out and now it rears its ugly head with him.

Dowie can forgive alot of thing, but not hustling or playing a lazy game is not one of them. Is Wayne Andrews a great striker? No. Will he get playing time? yes. Why, because he practically trips over himslelf trying to hustle after the ball. Butters, I'll make a prediction for you. Let me wish you well in your next team come January.

22. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London

Where abouts did you sit at Selhurst and at Tottenham?

Palace's away support is fantastic, they don't stop singing.

About Tottenham, that walk is a nightmare luckily i don't get the tube their.

Palace could take Michael Brown or Sean Davis then we will be left with around 8 midfielders.

23. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

Sat in Whitehorse Lane stand for the Preston game and the Holmesdale for the SW game. As for WHL, see the attached pic. I have no idea how the Spurs name the stands.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/lmanios/pictures/whl.jpg

As for the midfielder to take on loan, just pick one, put a name in a hat and pick one. :)

24. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

Palace on a roll

What a game. The team is running on all cylinders. Last week they beat QPR 3-1 on the road. Today they beat Coventry 4-1 on the road. Seven goals on the road and all without AJ.

Ward : 1-0
    Gets his second goal on a corner. Last year CD Popovic only got two goals all season.

Morrison : 2-1
    In the dying moments of the half, just after Coventry equalized and all the Palace fans were moaning 'not again', Morrison plants a diving header in the back of the net to put Palace back up 2-1 before the half.

Watson : 3-1
    Watson!!! Get in!!! Second ever goal for Watson. Thats the second goal from midfield in two games. It looks like Watson is starting to sort himself out and him and Soares are starting to gel. Soares made runs like crazy all game long. Lets hope this gives Watson that little bit of confidence he needs to take the step up.

Macken : 4-1
    AJ and Macken come on. Everyone was expecting an AJ goal and Macken gets his first for the club, a nice little tap in. That will help his confidence massively.

Upcoming Matches
    10 out of the last 12 points and the team is healthy and in form. We play the next two games at home. The hated Brighton on Tuesday and a weak Burnley on Saturday. That should be another 6 points. Which brings us to ...

Liverpool in the Carling Cup on Tuesday the 25th. I'll get flamed but I smell upset. Liverpool has been having problems finding goals and AJ will be game fit by then and coupled with Clint we'll have a very nice attack.

TEAM_____________________P___Pts___GD
    Sheff Utd................13...33...14
    Reading..................12...27...14
    ------------------------------------
    Luton....................13...24...6
    Leeds....................12...21...4
    Crystal Palace...........12...20...8
    Wolverhampton............13...19...5
    ------------------------------------

Best Quote
    From Mickey Adams the Coventry boss: "At the end of the day they took Clint Morrison off who is a 3 million pound player and put on a 9 million pound player in Andrew Johnson". Lets hope we become the Chelsea of the Fizzy Pop league :D

25. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY