Crystal Palace Thread [R]

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by JRedknapp11, Dec 8, 2004.

1. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Crystal Palace Thread :

Gotta start one someone time...let's use this thread for talk and info on all things Palace...

Here's a few :

Helguson link denied:
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=241840&lid=4&cpid=10&title=Helguson+link+denied

New Almeyda suitors:
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com...pid=21&CLID=31&lid=&title=New+Almeyda+suitors

And the always quotable Mr. Jordan.........
    Jordan's exit hint:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=242124&CPID=8&CLID=31&lid=&title=Jordan's+exit+hint

2. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
  3. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
  4. bigbrooklynlou

bigbrooklynlou New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Re: Crystal Palace Thread :

Crystal Palace, Man U this weekend. I'm dreading this game. If CP plays its usual game (a 442 thats really a 541), Man U will be running at us non-stop with 60% possession through the first half. If we're lucky Johnson will get a few shots to counter attack.

Considering how the team (and Johnson) is going through a dry spell I'll be amazed if we get a goal. Who know, it may be another CP - Arsenal game where Man U gets frustrated at not scoring and we count ourselves lucky to get a point. Or they cream us. The Tivo is set for Fox Sports world. Go Palace.

Best Case scenario: 0-0 or 1-1
    Worst Case scenario: 3-0

5. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net

Not too bad of a result...you guys worked hard and looked better then lower table stuff....also always nice to see Kolkka score as he always manages to get a nice goal in a big game.

6. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

Everything was rosy till about 10 minutes after the half. Man, did ManU clean our clocks. I though the never-ending waves of attacks that Arsenal threw at CP was bad, Man U was worse. The team played well, but Giggs killed us.

Hey Dowie, show us a wave and get us a Froward!

I feel bad for AJ. Everyone knows that he's the only threat we got and shut him down.

7. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really give Palace credit for coming back not once but twice. There's a lot of fight in that team, and if Dowie can pick up one or two impact players (preferably on offense), I can see Palace staying up another year. The goals need to come from somewhere though.

8. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

Latest stuff on the team is Dowie looking for 3 players. Another defender, A Offensive mid-fielder, and of course an experienced striker. Alot of fans feel that the team won't start winning till it plays something other than the 4-5-1 all the time. And to do that he needs another striker to back AJ up plus an Offensive Middie to feed the two of them the ball. The present Palace midfield is pretty much all defense with some counterattacking long passes forward. The team doesnt have that slow buildup in the midfield.

Gaurdian - Possible Palace Targets

Defender: Neil Clement (WBA, £500,000),
    Lucas Alessandria (Lanus, loan),
    Richie Byrne (Dunfermline, £200,000).

Midfielder: Kily Gonzalez (Internazionale, loan),
    Emmanuel Petit (free agent),
    Stephen Clemence (Birmingham, £500,000),
    Sebastian Mila (Dyskobolia Grodzisk, £1m).
    Eyal Berkovic (Portsmouth, £1m).

Forward: Marlon Harewood (West Ham, £1m),
    Jason Euell (Charlton, £2m),
    Dean Ashton (Crewe, £1.5m),
    Steven MacLean (Sheff Wed, £250,000),
    Bobby Zamora (West Ham, £700,000)

9. oneforthemoney

oneforthemoney BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 6, 2004
    NYC
  10. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Karagounis would be a good buy. He's a talented, technical midifelder who can score goals. Francesco Coco was an excellent defender before his injury, but i still think he's pretty good.

11. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

The one guy that interests me is Sebastian Mila, the Polish "Beckham" (for what its worth.). Anyone have any info on him?

12. Catenaccio-maldini

Catenaccio-maldini New Member

Jul 26, 2004

guys ,, who is the owner of the club ?
    i heard it is Massimo Moratti ?!!!!!!!

13. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Palace needs to get it together. I want to see them stay up. Seeing them play like this is getting depressing. 3-1....they need to wake up.

14. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3-0. Against Tottenham of all teams. This is unbelieveable. Could this be a sign of things to come?

All I have to say is keep it going Palace. Things are looking up.

15. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

unfortunately they've been running hot and cold all year. The big thing is that for once this season, Dowie played a 442 and thats what did the trick. Friedman was MOTM for me. Here's hoping that Palace never play a 451 (at least at home) again for the rest of the season.

16. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2-2 tie with Albion. Its like we are hitting a glass ceiling.

17. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1-0 loss to Bolton, when we had all the chances in the world. That hurts.

18. Ballzack

Ballzack New Member

Feb 2, 2005

Palace, I really want to see them stay in the EPL! Dowie is great; however, it seems that the big boys are tight with the purse strings. I pull for them every chance I get, and was crushed too, when they lost 1-0 to Bolton. They may be hanging by their fingernails at the moment; nonetheless, I do believe and hope they’ll make the cut. However, Dowie is bang on, they will need to loosen the purse strings this summer.

19. Ballzack

Ballzack New Member

Feb 2, 2005

Today it’s Palace-Arsenal; I’m wishing upon hope, but it would be the upset of god knows when, if Palace were to thrash them. A dream, perhaps, however, you have to dream once in a while.

20. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

Er. Arsenal destroyed us. We beat Birmingham ... again and we have Man U this weekend (ugh). But we're 4 clear of the relegation zone (!) and can still stay up if we play well against the other releagtion contenders later on.

Plus Steve from Fox Football Friday pegged us as going down and considering his great skill at prognosticating, we'll do fine ...

21. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Palace is much much better than the current relegation zone teams. I just dont know that they are as good as the middle of the pack teams.

22. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

CM, considering that CP was pegged by all the pundits to go down, and the fact that Jordan did not spend any money during the transfer window, them managing to stay up is more a testament to their desire as a team than anything else. Hopefully between the SKY sports money and what they get for Routledge when he goes, they'll be able to buy a semi-decent midfielder or two during the summer break.

23. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

I'm still buzzing about Palace drawing Man-ure on Saturday. 10 men down and they took everything Man U could throw at them for 30 minutes. The team did every fan proud.

A couple of items:

Aki Riihilahti's website - http://www.akiriihilahti.com/
    You gotta love a Finnish mid-fielder with a sense of humor ...

Zoo interview with Aki Riihilahti (my favorite response in blue) ...

Zoo Magazine spoke to Crystal Palace's Finnish midfielder Aki Riihilahti a few weeks and he spoke about life under our Manager of the Year, Iain Dowie. Here, he answers further questions on Palace's season so far.

Q - You were out of contract in the summer. Were you ever close to leaving?

Who could throw away a chance to play Premiership football under a great manager?!

Q - How has Iain changed you, personally?

He has changed my career, my views on sport, life and leadership.

Q - How closely does he monitor what you do off the pitch, like diet?

He gives us guidelines and help in whatever we need, but in the end of the day he trusts us to be good professionals.

Q - Does he apply any sort of scientific theories to football?

Mostly mathematics - if you score more than the opponent, you'll have a good chance of winning.

Q - How long are his team talks and how much does he focus on tactics?

He works really hard to go through every detail tactically during the week, and then before the game he gives his motivation speech, which is often very inspirational.

Q - How key are Kit Symons (assistant) and John Harbin (fitness coach) alongside Dowie?

They are very important for the whole picture. The management team is well balanced with different kinds of knowledge and responsibilities, combined with good leadership skills, hard work and grey hair.

Q - Who's the toughest player you've come up against this season?

Jermaine Jenas was impressive.

Q - Who'd be your Player of the Year?

I've got to say Andy Johnson.

Q - Was winning the play-offs your finest achievement?

No, enjoying my life, being happy is my finest achievement so far. Winning that promotion was one of my finest moments in football though.

Q - How confident are you of staying up?

I've never doubted it and the force is strong in us. We believe we are able to stay at the top level.

Q - Who's the biggest loon at the club?

There are couple of borderline cases, I'm one of them.

Q - Has anyone tried stealing Gabor Kiraly's magic pyjama bottoms?

Why would anyone else want to wear them?!

Q - Who do you room with on the road, and what's their worst habit?

The other Finnish player [Joonas] Kolkka eats too much bread, that is not good for the room air.

Q - You often mention in your column that you don't have a girlfriend. Been lucky lately?

It's not like I'm advertising it but yeah, I'm still single.