Crystal Palace 2009 -Post Season thread

Discussion in 'Baltimore' started by jakcfl, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Soccer Esq.

Soccer Esq. New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I think it would have to be 7 foreign players on the roster. I think the real question is how is the league going to define "foreign."

2. Soccer Esq.

Soccer Esq. New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I think it would have to be 7 foreign players on the roster. The real question is how the league defines "foreign."

3. Soccer Esq.

Soccer Esq. New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Thanks Big Soccer...

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I would imagine any player not an American citizen or green card holder.

5. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    7 players on roster - FIFA requirements, with possible modifications: green card and dual citizenship are likely OK - I believe Canadian may also be OK.

7 international players (?): Robson, Fusilier, Yoshitake, Neto, Pejic, Nishimura and Gonzaga (may have green card). May leave 1 slot for "African" player or Harada.

US players (?): Marshall, Teixeira, Healey, Gnatiko, Lader, Vranis (?), Flores, Basso, Chase Harrison, Korey Veeder (U-19), Aduato Neto, Randi Patterson.

LIkely gone from last year: Pierce, Rowland, Harkins, Mark, Ughiove, Millwood, Seabrook, Chiles, John Barry Newsome

That's about 20 on roster, with a couple questions (e.g., Vranis may still be unable to play; Veeder may be on loan).

Missing: backup GK, another (big/physical) defender (or 2), a speedy wing, a strong speedy forward.

That makes about 24-25.

Check out "new blog" from CP fan - http://www.baltimorepalace.blogspot.com/

6. eagleforlife

eagleforlife New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fusilier may also have a green card.

7. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw that you all ended up with Nishimura. Hope he finally realizes that dream of scoring a goal for a USL club. god knows he tried... and tried.. and TRIED to score a goal for the Timbers last season only to have them all sail high and wide. In other words, you should all hope he never takes a shot on goal.

8. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Last year's weakness was midfield depth, possession and experience along with a healthy foward to finish. Nishimura and Yoshitake help fill the midfield needs with USL-1 experience (doubt their propensity for scoring was a real factor). Neto and Gonzaga look to help attack from midfield and perhaps scoring. Much of the scoring came from the wings. Fusilier and maybe Patterson should help up top. Healey floats around and gets a few goals. Still looking however, for that big finisher and a few headers from the backs.

9. ccuba71

ccuba71 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For what I been talk you the Palace sing the cuban foward Yaikel Perez, very skillfull and strong player

10. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nishi takes scoring opportunities he shouldn't. It's a problem.

11. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  12. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Ha - maybe Palace can train him to shoot low and he might get a couple goals or assists on deflections :rolleyes:

13. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

This release is on Palace web page and NASL page, as well. Harrison is experienced at several levels and was excceptional in goal for Islanders last year showing quickness and good judgement. He's tall enough to be effective in the air. Burke is showing pretty good development and pedigree for 23 years. Sounds like they will be an effective duo if they stay healthy. Palace have never really had a strong back-up to Rowland.

Also, is Perez available? As I recall, he is decent but not the youngest player available. Does he have a green card?

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Loyola alum, Milos Kocic was released by D.C. United yesterday.

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they can train him to stop shooting from 35 yards, perhaps.

16. Soccer Esq.

Soccer Esq. New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Goalkeepers:
    Chase Harrison: 25, 6'3" Virginia Tech product. Drafted by in 2006 by Real Salt Lake but soon found himself in USL 1 with Rochester and Portland. Spent last season in USL 2 with Harrisburg. Led USL 2 in shutouts (8 in 16 games) and GAA (0.812). Finished 8-4-4.

Evan Bush: 23, 6'2" spent 3 seasons in the PDL before landing in the backup spot at Cleveland (USL 1) last season. Pitched 2 clean sheets in 7 games for a sub-par team.

and more on my blog...

www.baltimorepalace.blogspot.com

17. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chase is a quality guy, decent keeper at the Div 2 level. Probably has improved enough over the last 2 years. He was my favorite keeper of the 08 Timbers. That was the year we ran through 4 keepers including 2 loaned from MLS clubs (Knighton and Burse). You should do well with him.

18. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money is on Bush being the starter :D

19. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harada has been trialing with the RailHawks but it seems like there's a chance he could end up back in Baltimore...

http://www.indyweekblogs.com/sports/2010/02/20/now-playing-for-the-railhawks-the-trialists/

20. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

21. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a video where your new GK (Evan Bush) gets treated like a rookie

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7_UJ7T3dw"]YouTube- Catchin' Up With the Keepers[/ame]

22. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you are here CCS, maybe you can help with a question. Since your guys made the jump from usl-2 to usl-1 how big a difference did it make in the play of your best players who stayed for the switch? There are certain players, Harada and Mbuta, who were with Palace previously, who would need an international roster spot at the expense of a currently signed former USL-1 player to join the team. I'm just wondering if the trigger was pulled on the new additions because they would have been signed by someone else if a quick move wasn't made or whether there is concern about some of our players not being able to make the step up to a new level.

23. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of our top notch players (and coach, for that matter) went to Carolina. They all did well at Carolina. Our good players (but not spectacular) stayed and did well, but the team just never seemed to gel.

CPB will have to strengthen the squad to make the jump. No disrespect, but CPB weren't one of the top teams in USL2. Richmond and Charlotte were both better.

24. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

CCSU: Not preaching, but a thought:
    I can't open the YouTub and can't remember seeing him play, but isn't it expected that the typical 22 year old rookie (or limited experience) keeper gets treated like most 22 year old rookie keepers when they move up to the professional level (unless perhaps they hail from a program like UCLA, MD or Duke? The question is really what is his upside (goalies almost always get better with age and play competently a lot longer than field players) as he gets games under his belt. Does he improve, or does he not. The success of a keeper can often be "good judgment" which comes from experience at the higher levels where the finishers can punish a GK who makes even the slightest mistake. Let's see how he does this year - as a back up most likely but with the potential to see some regular playing time over a long season.

25. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahah, when I say he gets treated like a rookie, it wasn't about his playing ability. Jason Hotchkin and Gordon Kljestan just knock Evan over at the end of the video :D.

Bush was a very good keeper for us. He looked strong at the end of last season. He played for a top notch program in Akron. The kid is talented.