CRV or RAV4

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Jacen McCullough, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    The thread title pretty much says it. I'm going to be getting a new car in a couple of months, and I've been looking at the Honda CR-V and the Toyota RAV4. I've looked over the information for both, and they seem to be very comparable. I was just wondering if anybody out there had strong (or what the hell, even mild) opinions one way or the other.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I have started looking, she wants a smaller SUV. We both prefer the Rav4 but then we saw the 2007 Outlander from Mitsubishi. Very very nice, better warranty than the Rav4, more standard options more standard horse power, the same size cargo space, about the same MPG. I think right now they are 2.9% for 60 months. We will most likely go with the Outlander

3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a 2002 CR-V, so this input is pretty dated. But one of the deciding factors for us was backseat space, specifically regarding carseats. We thought the Rav 4 at the time was too cramped in the back and the kids would be kicking up against the front seats in no time.

When we test drove them both, though, the Rav 4 drove much more zippy, like a car, as opposed to our CR-V, which is a bit more stiff like a truck.

All said and done, I've been quite happy with the Honda. I've not been inside the new ones which have been heavily redesigned, but can't say I find the new design all that appealing (except for the switch from door hinge to roof hinge for the back door; that makes more sense.)

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminded me of one thing I saw in the outlander. The rear seats move back and forth to give the rear passenger more leg room. I had the driver seat pushed back all the way, hoped in the seat behind it, moved the rear seat back and had plenty of room and I am 6ft tall.

5. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a Mitsu so when you sell it you'll get penny's back.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well that maybe true, a fully loaded 2005 outlander with 30k is just about 19k where as a fully loaded Rav4 is about 21k. I think there is more to look at here. Are you a buy a new car ever 3-4 year type of person or are you a buy it and drive it into the ground? Toyota offers a 3/36k bumper to bumper, 60/60 powertrain and 60/unlimited on rust. Mitsu offers 5/60k bumber to bumber, 10/100k powertrain and 7/100k rust plus a 5 year unlimited roadside assistant service. Having had two mitsubishis and now on my third, I have only had to change the timing belt and brakes. I put 140k on my 2000 galant(which was MT car of the year). I don't think he can go wrong the CRV, Rav4 or Outlander. they are all very good cars