Rumor: Cruz Azul interested in Jose Villarreal and Michael Farfan?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Mario Balotelli, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how reliable the source is (the Twitter account has 87K followers) but it's being reported now by a few other journalists and making the rounds.

I think Liga MX would suit both of them quite well but I doubt the Galaxy will part with Villarreal on the cheap.

Testudo, Pl@ymaker and USAMEX10 repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an LAG perspective, I can see why they wouldn't want to give up Villareal as he's a great talent and offers depth.

From Villareal's perspective, he's stuck behind two of the top three players in MLS in Keane/Landon which isn't great for development.

Add to that McBean is crunched for playing time as well. With Keane/Landon it's hard to adequately develop both Villareal and McBean in somewhat limited mins. They're also playing Zardes at his less preferred position due to the roster.

I could see them selling.

4. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Mario Balotelli, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    ESPN Deportes is reporting it like it's a done deal already.

It also mentions that it's possible that one or more of them (Baca, Villarreal, and Farfan) could play with Cruz Azul Hidalgo which plays in the second division.

If I'm not mistaken, Cruz Azul is one of the bigger clubs in Mexico.

On quick glance, they've recently acquired Marco Fabian on loan, have Mariano Pavone (Argentine) at striker, Chaco Gimenez at RM, Colombian international Joao Rojas at LM, and Cameroonian international Achille Emana at CAM. It looks like it would be really tough for Jose to get minutes at those spots, so I would guess that he'll spend some time in 2nd division. Michael Farfan looks like he'll have a better shot at getting minutes with El Tri veteran Gerardo Torrado and Alejandro Castro in the CDM spots.

I should also add that Cruz Azul's new manager is the guy who coached Mexico's gold medal winning team so I'd like to think he'll give Villarreal ample opportunities.

Testudo repped this.
  5. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Unless there gunna play Farfan at a position he doesnt really play I dont see it. He's an CAM.

Also Villarreal would be going to his fav childhood club so that would be cool for him

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't particularly rate Farfan, so I am not really upset with this move for him.

I think Villarreal is making a colossal mistake. LA Galaxy to Cruz Azul is a lateral move at best. Probably not even a lateral move though. Also, if the rumors of Villarreal joining the second team are true, that makes the move even worse. Why on earth would he be moving to an inferior club and moving from the first team of the better team to the reserve team of the worse team? If he needed playing time, he could have been traded to another MLS team. Before you tell me that I am overreacting, I was the first person on the Altidore thread to say that his move to Sunderland was an awful move. I was then told that I was crazy, and that moving to Sunderland was a great move for Jozy. Well, look who is right now. This potential move by Villarreal is awful. He won't be getting playing time with the first team of Cruz Azul.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He can root on his childhood club all he wants from the reserve team. He isn't getting minutes with all the experienced internationals in that squad.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #8 Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    He made something like $50K last season and was 12th on the team in minutes. I would think he could improve on the former figure in Mexico.

9. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    I'd like the move better for Villarreal if he wasn't tied to LA in CCL because it'll hurt LA's depth and he would probably for sure be used by Cruz Azul in that tournament if he wasn't tied.

I would trust his ability to get more quality minutes in Mexico than at an MLS club that has a constant obligation to have blingy DP players occupying the forwrad and attacking mid spots. The Mexican clubs are generally pretty good about playing youngsters. I think there are rules that require the teams to give minutes to the young players, plus there is the Copa MX. So if he shines in training he will get chances.

I don't think it's a huge stretch for Villarreal to find his way to regular minutes. He just has to make the most of his opportunities like an Arriola has. If he bombs a couple of times, he might find himself buried though. But that's good. Sink or swim. I like it.

Tom Collingsworth and USAMEX10 repped this.
  10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is Rafael Baca allowed to re-enter the country if he leaves?

Not being snarky, actually curious. He doesn't have a Green Card and at one time his status in this country was somewhat dubious, legally speaking.

11. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone in the MLS player movement thread said Villareal's move would be a loan until May. I haven't seen anything about that anywhere else though.

12. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since CM Jair Pereira moved to Chivas, I think Farfan or Baca have a good chance at getting some minutes there. If not they'll get minutes in CC, Copa MX. Villarreal will too probably even sub 20 league which is better than playing minutes in USL pro.. but I do think he has what it takes to get first team minutes at Cruz Azul. Can play in the hole or as ST/SS. Hopefully not on the wing he's not good there

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Testudo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great. He wasn't effective at the Galaxy and is probably 5th behind Donovan, Keane, Zardes, and McBean in the line of strikers. Liga MX probably suits his style better, and probably doesn't have as deep of a forward corp at Cruz Azul (although I speculate).

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Speaking "scientifically" (for lack of a better term) as an observer it will be really interesting to see how mid-career, non MNT-level MLS Yanks do at this level. It's pretty unusual.

USvsIRELAND, Fanatical Monk and Scotty repped this.
  17. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In correction to previous post - Rojas isn't a Colombian international but rather an Ecuadorian international.

HomietheClown repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farfan and Villarreeal will both be on 1-yr loans with options to buy -- is that what I'm understanding??? Huh. Completely out of leftfield, IMO. Particularly surprised that Villarreal was so easily cast off by LA especially with the opportunity for matches with LD gone to Brazil. However, the move does make sense if Villarreal can get minutes and compete. I would not prefer CA Hidalgo but the 2nd division does beat a loan in USL Pro. As for Farfan, he's so hit or miss for me. I just can't quite put me finger on it or get a real pulse on his game. He's a decent little player I just question if he can make it a CA's 1st team.

Pl@ymaker and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet, a new Mex club to follow! :thumbsup:

20. deepspace

deepspace Member+

Dec 30, 2012
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is Farfan any good?

21. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Farfan is mainly a attacking mid but can play on the wings and CM. Scored this golazo against Real Madrid a lil while back. He's just a lil inconsistent. I think he's good enough for Cruz Azul but we'll see.

22. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Villareal had an even more impressive goal against Real Madrid. Did Baca at some point too?

This don't make no sense.

23. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Was a pretty nice goal

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Villarreal is competing for first team minutes. This loan move makes no sense if he is not going to be playing in the reserves.

He would have gotten more minute next season. I wonder about what exactly is going on with the Galaxy. Usually teams don't let go of prospects so easily.

25. Blu.

Blu. Member+

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Cruz azul is a HORRIBLE club for young players, maybe only tigres are worse for young players.