Crowd at US-Japan game

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by asdf2, Feb 11, 2006.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    How about if the teams wear singlets & tight shorts? (apologies to Sepp Blatter!) or unitards?

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    That qualifies as pretty solidly pro-Mexican, IMHO.

An SSS in SF would be nothing short of awesome - it'd be an actual football ground in an urban area. But it will never happen unless Larry Ellison becomes a huge soccer fan, because an stadium in SF must be privately funded.

3. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Given this fixture was played at Pac Bell, and given the opponent,
    I was shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, not to see in 5-foot-high letters
    the most apropo sign of all time:

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

-bs

4. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Francisco politics is an odd lot. They quibble over everything, and there's a good chance they will do so over this. Took them almost a decade or so to build their Jewel by the Bay--taking even longer to build New Candlestick for the 49ers. Could see the city gov't doing so with a SSS and that's a challenge.

Hey, after taking in the athmosphere and festiveness Friday night, we can dream eh? The Giants brass needs those events more since they had to take out a loan to build their playing grounds.

5. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say, I wish I had bickered about my seat. I'm only 5-3, and was standing in the second row. I was supposed to be in the first row, but when I showed up my seats were occupied. I just took the closest available space. I missed the entire game. I saw about nothing. It's really, really, really hard to keep up the cheering when you have no fishin' idea what's going on. But, yeah, at least I knew what Sam's Army was about and just dealt with it, hoping someone had taped the game. I'm not trying to be stupid about Sam's Army. But it really, really, really sucked missing that game while standing right there in the second row.

6. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Took em over a decade because the Giants wanted a city to pay for it.

Like I said, if someone wants to pay for an SSS in San Francisco, city government will be happy to help. If you want THEM to pay for it, forget it.

7. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Is there any MLS team based in SF ? if there isn't, MLS should think about building a team there, seriously ! .... if you remember the semi final of Woman world cup between US-Germany in 2003, that was great attandance as well.

8. leftjab

leftjab Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Berkeley
    that game wasn't in SF.

9. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Nobody is going to privately fund an MLS level SSS in San Francisco when he/she/they could build one for a half or a third of the San Francisco cost simply by putting it in Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo, Santa Clara or Solano counties. Especially when the youth soccer base is stronger in those areas than in the City of San Francisco.

I think a small, much less expensive non-MLS SSS for youth/high school/college/PDL-NPSL level soccer would be possible in San Francisco, but an MLS scale SSS, even a privately funded one, is a pipe dream.