Crowd at US-Japan game

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by asdf2, Feb 11, 2006.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Uh, no we shouldn't. The Japanese travelling fans have an excellent reputation & the last thing we need is to start trouble over rumors of a couple of idiots.

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Alright, whatever. Say what you want about AEG, I'm totally in agreement. But tell me there's no possible way the fan base couldn't have turned out anything close to the numbers at last night's game on a regular basis for Earthquakes games, and I'll stop talking on this.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I wonder what the fans watching in Japan thought of this banner? Do they know the name of the San Jose franchise?

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I make no claims that the crowd last night had any relevance to MLS market potential.

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

It certainly makes one wonder about what could have been, though.

6. kemari

kemari New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Most Japanese in Japan don't know of MLS. The banner was by a group of local Japanese Earthquakes fans for other Japanese soccer fans in the Bay Area, which there are many as you saw, but which AEG never cared for.

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job, Guy and company. Sam's section was great. My first with the Sammers and I brought my son and his wife. They had a blast too. Thanks for the streamers.

The pregame at 21-A was awesome atmosphere. THANKS, bay area soccer fans.

8. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarification and emphasis mine.

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the Giants attendance before SBC Park was built and after SBC Park was built. The team had good seasons at the Stick as well as SBC. It shows a nice stadium can make a difference. And I can guess that a soccer stadium in San Jose will not charge $25 for parking and $7.75 for a beer, (and Budweiser at that!).
    And I saw a great number of fans wearing Quakes gear, so I would guess most came from outside of SF.

10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Japanese fans were great. Many applauded when the US scored.

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I figured that! However, a banner in Japanese supporting the return of the earthquakes must seem odd to viewers in Japan! Who would want earthquakes to come back? :D

12. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't believe a Metrostars fan is talking attendance smack. You have the largest market in the country and only drew 2,000 more a game than the Quakes. Your average was boosted by the 50,000+ DH with England. Another good reason to stop talking.

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And you would be wrong.

I never buy beer at a stadium, but I know that they're hella expensive at HDC. At PHP, I believe that it's a lil' better, but HDC is priced out of a lot of ppl's range.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

This isn't about trading insults. I agree with everyone here, AEG sees the New York market and the Bay Area market quite differently. Low attendance figures in one market are offset by factors that the other market doesn't have. The issue is not comparing any two markets, it's about everyone involved - the owners and the fan base - doing what's necessary to ensure viability. That's why most MLS clubs aren't going anywhere and SJ went to Houston.

15. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Larry Baer runs the Giants, who happen to own that little ballpark.

16. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll play devil's advocate and say yes on that. Based on all those factors, put a SSS near the ballpark and you might have a jewel of MLS that could rival HDC.

After last night--shows it all. Reminds me of the bustle that happens before a Giants game. The bars and restaurants were literally packed.

Based on that, I could favour San Francisco.

It does make me wonder if any of those pubs around the ballpark area had the game on espn2.

Now, if only the mayor of that city and the Board of Supervisors can get their act together...

-----
    Next to the Brazilians, the Japanese fans were the most fervent. Good to see them fly over or come out to support their team.

17. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    Excellent post. The sheer amount of information that ordinary fans had to uncover on their own (or with the help of Mr. Moore) and the contacts they needed to establish throughout that process ... still remarkable. No help from AEG and no help from MLS. All AEG did was shout year after year, "We're leaving!"

18. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    This thread is sorely lacking photos of hot wimmens from the game.
    Tisk-tisk.

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Sorry, open wound. Hasn't healed over yet.

20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I call bullsh!t. Attendance had nothing to do with the Quakes moving.

21. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    My original point is starting this thread was that a helll of a lot of US fans showed up at this meaningless friendly. Regardless of whether that # was 25k or 30k of the 37k in attendance, the point holds true.

Name another city that would have driven bigger American support for such a meaningless match?

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Seattle.

23. Al Salinas

Al Salinas New Member

Apr 11, 2000
    fremont
    No, but SP train runs next, during world cup I used the train was super.Also I took BART to USA-Japan game in frisco it was ok, good conections. Behind baseball stadium in SF there is room for soccer stadium.

24. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm convinced that if they were to build an SSS there, it would be the best stadium experience in MLS. The bars would be hopping, b4 and after the games. The thought of not needing a designated driver and getting to the game in a predictable manner... sweet.

But they would have to coordinate w/ the Giants. You just couldn't have 2 games and 60K in that compact of an area.

Friday night games? Hells yeah!!

25. West Coast

West Coast Member

Feb 4, 2006
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SBC park can also be reached by Cal Train. There is a station just a few blocks away. I agree that a location next to SBC park would be awesome. The biggest problem is that SF's Mayor Newsome won't even help the 49ers build a new stadium.

However, I'd propose a small stadium like the Europeans have (30K max). Plus, the stadium should be bowl or rectangular to make it loud like "The Swamp" at the University of Florida. The game last Friday and all other Giants games seem "quiet" because of SBC park's design.