"Croatianizing" our midfield in style - Welcome Mateo Kovačić

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by saadomar, Aug 17, 2015.

1. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Imo when players and teams sign these long contracts they should honor them but the reality is that this almost never happens and most players get transferred to other teams under contract.
    A loan is almost like a transfer where there is intent by the player or team -not necessarily both - to play somehere else.

2. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    True, but he isnt obligated to not want to leave. He wanted to be a starter somewhere else, asked for a transfer, and he was granted one. Of course, if he actually threatened to not train, I agree thats unprofessional. But its not ungrateful for him to ask for a transfer because he wants to be an undisputed starter.

xRamos4 and 9Qui repped this.
  3. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    According to reports he not only threatened to not train he actually sat out. He asked for a transfer, we refused and only gave him a loan.

His tone in the IG post is one where he wants out no matter what.

Don't know why you're coping pleas for this man.

Eddie repped this.
  4. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well JL said he didnt miss any training so its hard to say what actually happened.

9Qui repped this.
  5. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some players are patient, work hard, prove themselves and become heroes and legends in our shirt. Others don't have the right attitude, they move on and are all but forgotten. It's a shame because I thought Kovacic could have worked out great working under Modric.

libertao and YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  6. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
  7. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    People being triggered by an instagram post:rolleyes: so much can change in a year. In the end, we own him.

Shay Z repped this.
  8. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the most important part, the ball is still in our court. If he is hell bent on leaving then get his replacement now and sell him for as much as possible next summer.

9. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm pretty sure Kovacic trained. There were even videos at him at Valdebebas during the whole thing.

9Qui repped this.
  10. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    Kova wanted to leave last summer but Zidane made him stay. He ended up playing 50% less in the league then a season before, and that was a season where we went out of the league race early.
    Then WC came and he had the best seat in the house to watch the team go all the way to the final.

Now there's a new manager in town who already worked with guys that didn't even get a chance under Zidane.

He was never going to stay in Madrid for the new season. Nothing good (for him) was going to come out of him staying. The club had to know how this will play out, so they decided to loan him for this season hoping they'll be able to sell him for big money in a year.

I hope he finally shows his full potential in England and he breaks EPL transfer record next summer.

libertao repped this.
  11. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The notion that the club loaned him with the intention to sell him a year from now doesn't make much sense. If he establishes himself as one of the best in England, there is no reason that we wouldn't want him back. And loaning someone with the intention to inflate his price so that he would be sold for more money than now is a risky move that can backfire if he underperforms. Either way it seems there is no scenario under which we sell him for a huge price next summer (and that was our plan all along).

And personally I really don't understand these Croatian Madrid fans that are hoping Kovacic leaves the club permanently.

12. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The player is the one who decides where to play. We can't force him. Maybe if Modric leaves next year, he will be interested in coming back here.

ABB94 repped this.
  13. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    The club surely wanted to keep him, but this is not a prison. The player probably feels like he'll never prove himslef to be a starter here so what else is left to do..

I'd love to have half of our national team playing in Madrid (well I wouldn't really because they're just not good enough), but the club comes first.

natenate101 repped this.
  14. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Plenty of options. He could take a look at some of his team mates for an example of patience and hard work.

It usually does take some sacrifice to play for this team. It turns out this isn’t the team for him. I’m disappointed because I thought he had it in him, but I guess I misjudged his character.

Anon. repped this.
  15. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    He could but so could any other player because there's always guys who give more for the team or guys who are willing to sit bench season after season for the team. I don't think he personally could have taken example from his team mates because no one was in a position he was at.

You have to look at these situations from the human side, not just regarding him, but generally. He stayed because Zidane probably told him something and it turned out to be something else. Now he's coming back from vacation and a guy who was getting less minutes (Ceballos) is in front of him in the pecking order.
    If you expect him to go through the whole process of proving himself again after last 3 years, then I think you'r expecting a bit too much.

A Ceballos could have left the club this summer to go on loan to Betis, while Kovacic is going straight into the first 11 at Chelsea (Drinkwater, Fabregas and Bakayoko have nothing on him). This together with him coming back from vacation and going a step back in the pecking order with the new manager blows the whole "look at his team mates" point out of the water.

If 100 different players had the experience that Kova had last 3 years, they would all pick first team football at a top EPL club before the wonderful opportunity of proving themselves again to a new manager at Real Madrid. As for CL football - he won it 3 times in last 3 years so at this point I think first team football has the priority if he really wants to make something out of his career by the time he hits his peak.

I badly wanted him to succeed here because he's a player any football fan would like to watch. He has the moves that get you of your seat. Still, if you look at my posts from before we signed him, I questioned his ability to make it in Real Madrid.

Modric stayed and that's the important part. This team needs him for one or two more seasons. Kovacic, we can live without..

madridista_hr, natenate101 and 9Qui repped this.
  16. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don’t think we’ll buy his replacement this summer, unless it’s Thiago, which could be sealed up in the next couple of weeks if we really want it to be. I’m just not impressed with Thiago being the chosen replacement for Kova if we’re thinking beyond Modric’s starting place in the team.

17. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    I believe a lot of it depends on the situation with the club. If Kovacic plays really well for Chelsea but still sees no room in Real Madrid starting 11 why would he come back. For me i want to see Kovacic reach his full potential and I don't believe he would have have got that chance at Real Madrid. At least not for another year or two.

18. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Kovacic was never getting ahead of Modric or Rakitic in the starting 11. You could make the case Kovacic could have started in front of Brozovic. Kovacic is a better player then Brozovic but not at what Brozovic was asked to do. Brozovic covers more ground then Kovacic which allowed Modric to join the attack in the attack a lot more. Brozovic had a good World Cup btw. Kovacic will get his chance now at Chelsea. Now it is on him to show how good he can be.

19. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No two situations are ever exactly the same. But we have plenty of players that have had to deal with bench time, fighting for their position, fighting to even stay with the club when the club wants to sell/loan them out.
    Marcelo - refused to be loaned, stayed and fought

Navas - had to share minutes with Casillas, was embarrassed when we tried to ship him off to United, now he is staying to fight for his place alongside Courtois

Lucas - always on the bench, always comes and performs with the right attitude

Carvajal - had to prove himself on loan, had to share minutes with big money signing Danilo when he already had proven himself

Varane - had to share minutes with Ramos and Pepe until he proved himself. Even when he had proved himself still had to see the bench more often than he truely deserved

Modric - unbelievebly disrespected by fans in his first season. Could have understandably called it a day after that

I could go on. There are plenty of players where at some point it would be fair for them to ask out. But it takes something special and some sacrifice to play for this team. You have to have the quality and you have to have the attitude. Kovacic and 100 different players don’t have that. I’m disappointed because I thought he did.

There is nothing to prove Ceballos is in front of him in the pecking order either.

Shay Z, ABB94, libertao and 4 others repped this.
  20. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He was out with injury for more than 2 months with an injury.

Well Modric and Kroos came back from vacation and had Ceballos and Valverde ahead of them, you don't see them handing in transfer requests cause they feel like they need to prove themselves?

Shay Z and YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  21. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My point is, people here are saying, if he fulfills his potential at Chelsea, we should sell him for crazy money. I'm saying if he fulfills his potential, why would we want to sell him, given that he will be one of the best midfielders in the world. And how could we not have starting spot for one of the best midfielders in the world, especially if Modric is 34 year old and is either going to leave or take a bench role.

The only reason we loaned him and not sold him outright is because we want him to come back and take Modric's place in a year, and this year he shouldn't waste on the bench but play all the time for a top team.

22. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he only wants to leave, then what should the club do?

23. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why would he want to leave if he has a guaranteed starting spot due to his worldclass quality confirmed at Chelsea, and Modric stepping back/out?

People here act as if Kovacic for some reason hates Madrid. Controlling for wages and team status, there is no team who is more attractive than Madrid. In my eyes this is the same as the James situation, except that now we are in firm control of the situation.

24. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To YOU we are more attractive than any other team. You aren't Kovacic and assume he feels the same as you. He has experienced the club, and is clearly eager to experience playing elsewhere. We are in control but like James if the player is resolute in his desire to play in a certain place we won't have as much leverage as we think. Kovacic so far this summer hasn't given any indication his desire is to ultimately triumph as a starter at Madrid. That's just where we are at.

Anon., Deep Pal, 9Qui and 2 others repped this.
  25. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It might be only me, but I simply don't see how if Kovacic has the same salary offer and starting spot guarantee from both Madrid and Chelsea (or any other club with the exception of Barcelona possibly) he would choose Chelsea. It just doesn't make sense. But even if this is the case, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to convince Kovacic, instead of trying to sell him without trying to get him back.

My point is that this loan is not meant to increase his price so that we sell him in one year, but simply to buy some time for both ourselves and him.

Deep Pal repped this.