"Croatianizing" our midfield in style - Welcome Mateo Kovačić

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by saadomar, Aug 17, 2015.

1. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    joy to watch :) becoming very simillar with Luka now, glad to now we have Modrič 2.0

2. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He had the same stats in INTER if not better..He never got real chance here when he was bought :D
    Even now he was introduced into the first team after injuries of other players

3. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This guy is insanely talented. With a bit of fine tuning and experience, he can be the best attacking CM in the world. He will make people forget Iniesta.

4. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The run from him in the CWC final today. Maybe could have gone for a direct pass to CRonaldo rather than the through ball at its end, but his energy, pace and ability to quickly advance the ball is pretty awesome -

[​IMG]

chiku86, J-Mezzy and Deep Pal repped this.
  5. RomanMadrid

RomanMadrid Member+

Jan 13, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Vasquez and Casemiro shouldn't start. Kovacic and Isco should. Much more Jogo Bonito with them. Isco with a free role and one of Kroos/Modric/Kovacic as DLP.

chiku86, J-Mezzy, Deep Pal and 1 other person repped this.
  6. PigBenis

PigBenis Member+

Sep 5, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What a player he's turning out to be. Oozing class! I'm so glad he stayed this summer.

Deep Pal and ABB94 repped this.
  7. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And over at redcafe you have united fans saying both him and Isco combined aren't as good as Pogba.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Who is as good as Pogba? Not even if you combined Iniesta, Messia, Alonso and Makelele.

Deep Pal, xmaje, Digital and 4 others repped this.
  9. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yet this summer everybody wanted to loan him out, so that he could 'develop':ROFLMAO:

Pogba would have been a dream in the white shirt, to fill the hole that Modric will soon leave. But if a guy like Llorente can stake his claim for a spot, we will be good anyway.

10. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    Kroos is better......

J-Mezzy and Digital repped this.
  11. PigBenis

PigBenis Member+

Sep 5, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's be real though, the only reason he got so much play time to shine was because of the injuries so people who wanted to loan him weren't wrong to think that. He's pretty much back on the bench now that Modrid, Kroos, and Casemiro are back.

12. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Doesn't matter. He's obvious quality. Why should be loan players who can add more to the team than their possible replacements?

And the reason I didn't want him loaned is exactly because of the high possibility of such injuries.

13. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think he should start ahead of Casemiro. We only really need casemiro like once or twice a season..

J-Mezzy repped this.
  14. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    To bad his pass accuracy drops to deplorable level - no pun intended, after such run.

15. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lol. Hopefully he will improve with time.

WhiteBlood repped this.
  16. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dribbling god.

I have yet to see a midfielder with such dribbling skills. One of a kind and deserves more praise for his defensive efforts. He is a entertaining player, but doesn't mind doing the dirty work too. I love it.

17. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Repeat after me:

He's

only

!!!

(and basically all of the shortcomings in his game can be fixed...)

RMSocrates, madridista_hr and libertao repped this.
  18. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    His close control reminds me of a hockey player:
    [​IMG]

Deep Pal repped this.
  19. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Best dribble success in whole of La Liga.
    "Of the 67 players to attempt 50+ dribbles in La liga this season, Kovacic has the best success rate (80,3) %. "

RMSocrates, madridista_hr, Anon. and 3 others repped this.
  20. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    To be fair you don't want that from your holding midfielder. Kovacic' assets are best utilized further up the field and still he has to improve his decision making.

RMSocrates, Ahmadi8, Deep Pal and 2 others repped this.
  21. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That attribute is actually very useful in that deep position. He can easily turn around his 'presser' and create a man more situation on midfield, Redondo-like. Unlike Casemiro or Kroos who lack dribble and pace.

Hsain85 repped this.
  22. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    I'm not sure I agree actually. In that situation it's more valuable to be able to turn with the ball and shield it with your body to relieve pressure. We see that Casemiro lacks it under pressure and we remember Xabi suffering from it too. Being able to dribble allows you to carry to ball forward and gain terrain. But if you do that when you have the entire team minus the 2 CBs in front of you, you're giving away possession cheaply and potentially you're gifting the opponents a goal scoring opportunity. Remember that 1/5 times in that stat, he doesn't succeed.

RMSocrates and natenate101 repped this.
  23. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The marauding runs from deep are certainly an asset, but when he is tasked with playing the holding role then his decision-making does have to improve as @9Qui said. There were a few occasions yesterday when he managed to burst through the middle only to carelessly pass the ball straight back to Depor. Thankfully the turnovers amounted to nothing.

RMSocrates, Ahmadi8, Deep Pal and 3 others repped this.
  24. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. It's dangerous as hell to do that from the deep mid position. He has a lot of growing to do in terms of his footballing brain, but his skills and stamina seem top notch already. Hope ZZ can bring him to where he needs to be. Also, he needs more of Luka's minutes.

Ahmadi8 and Doni repped this.
  25. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    I still keep think about this:
    The talent is right there for everyone to see, but he's still in pretty much the same position as last summer when @surgeon wrote this. We (including himself) don't know his best position and he needs to play to develop tactically.

natenate101 and Doni repped this.