Croatian NT news, Qualifiers and Squad lists.

Discussion in 'Croatia' started by LordofTheFlies, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    #26 LordofTheFlies, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Croatia Beat Kosovo in Pristina 6-0. The starters were Subasic - Vrsaljko Corluka Vida Pivaric - Brozovic Kovacic Badelj Perisic - Kramaric Mandzukic. It looks like we played a 4-4-2 formation. Not much to report but I hear that Pivaric was not great defensively as he was beat a few times out on the left hand side. Matej Mitrovic replaced Vedran Corluka at half time. Nikola Kalinic came on for Mario Mandzukic at the 59th minute and Marko Rog came on for Andrej Kramaric in the 71st minute. Here are the highlights

2. sheva_7

sheva_7 Member

May 12, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    *Shkoder
    Pristina doesn't have a stadium that meets FIFA's qualifications so the match was played in Shkoder, Albania

3. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Some sloppy passing which lead to chances. Pivaric is not good defensively. Left back has been a problem since Jarni retired. Overall Croatia played well in attack but defensively they would have been punished by a better quality team. Kramaric should start in my opinion. Played very well in the secondary striker position

4. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Saw the game since then and know it was played in Albania. Some of back passing was terrible, agree, we will be punished if play like that against better teams. But this also gave some of the little used players an opportunity to play more. The same can be said of the game against Finland.

5. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  6. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Historic match against Finland ended 0-1.;)

7. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Croatia is in solid position. But Croatia still needs to visit hard away matches in Ukraine, Turkey, Iceland. Already lost two points against Turkey at home.

Kosovo and Finland are obviously weaker opponents, so six points against them is something to be expected.

Iceland won against Turkey at home, went undefeated in Ukraine. Expected victory against Finland.
    Ukraine is in weaker position, draw against Iceland at home. But in better position with the draw against Turkey away.
    Turkey has only one good advantage, they went undefeated in Croatia, with weaker position against Ukraine, with 2-2 at home.

November (Studeni) will be much more important. Slightly serious clash: Croatia - Iceland.
    Lets just hope that Finland can surprise Ukraine away.
    Turkey will win against Kosovo obviously.

Finland will be fifth, Kosovo will be sixth. Ukraine plays defensive, careful in my opinion. But they are all made of Ukrainian clubs, with few players abroad, which confirms the fact that they have a strong national league. The question is, can Shevchenko embrace crucial tactical postulates.

Turkey has few dangerous players: Erdinc (I remember him from Sochaux), Mor, Sen, Calhanoglu.
    Unusual is that Terim doesn't invite Yilmaz, Turan, Sahin. So he wants to create the team of followers, listeners with strong sacrifice for the sacred Turkish jersey.:cool:

Defeats need to arrive on Ukraine, Iceland account. Otherwise, we could have triangle, just like in the qualifications for South Africa 2010, with England, Croatia and Ukraine.

8. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    #33 LordofTheFlies, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Ante Cacic called up the squad that will face Iceland in WC qualifying on Nov 12th and a friendly against Northern Ireland to be played 3 days later in Belfast. Marko Pjaca is injured so he is not available and Dejan Lovren has been left off the list for personal reasons. The only new player called up was Marin Leovac and Ivan Strinic has been dropped, but no reasons were given as Strinic not being called up.

Keepers: Danijel Subasic, Lovre Kalinic and Ivan Vargic
    LB: Josip Pivaric and Marin Leovac
    CB: Matej Mitrovic, Vedran Corluka, Domagoj Vida and Tin Jedvaj
    RB: Sime Vrsaljko
    DM: Milan Badelj
    CM: Luka Modric, Mateo Kovacic, Marcelo Brozovic and Ivan Rakitic
    Wing: Ivan Perisic
    AM: Marko Rog, Ante Coric
    CF: Andrej Kramaric, Mario Mandzukic, Nikola Kalinic and Duje Cop

The game against Iceland in Zagreb will be played without any fans. This was imposed by UEFA due to crowd issues this past Euro championships.

9. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    So a couple things, Nikola Kalinic has been dropped because he has some minor health, but will not be ready in time for the game against Iceland. A second DM has been called, Filip Bradaric from HNK Rijeka.

the Iceland squad has been called up. Though 3 key players for them are out due to health issues of one kind or another. So Emil Hallfredsson, Alfred Finnbogason and Kolbeinn Sigborsson are not available for this upcoming match. This squad will play hard and to win. We need to get the win here because we can't have a second straight game at home end up as a draw.

Their squad:
    GK Hannes Þór Halldórsson
    12 1GK Ögmundur Kristinsson
    13 1GK Ingvar Jónsson
    2 2DF Birkir Már Sævarsson
    6 2DF Ragnar Sigurðsson
    14 2DF Kári Árnason
    23 2DF Ari Freyr Skúlason
    5 2DF Sverrir Ingi Ingason
    19 2DF Hörður Björgvin Magnusson
    4 2DF Hólmar Örn Eyjólfsson
    17 3MF Aron Gunnarsson (captain)
    8 3MF Birkir Bjarnason
    7 3MF Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson
    10 3MF Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson
    18 3MF Theódór Elmar Bjarnason
    15 3MF Ólafur Ingi Skúlason
    16 3MF Rúnar Már Sigurjónsson
    21 3MF Arnór Ingvi Traustason
    3MF Aron Elís Þrándarson
    22 4FW Jón Daði Böðvarsson
    9 4FW Viðar Örn Kjartansson
    4FW Elías Már Ómarsson
    20 4FW Björn Bergmann Sigurðarson

10. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Croatia bet Iceland at home 2-0 with a pair of strikes by Marcello Brozovic. this game was played at home in an empty stadium. So after 4 games the standings see us in first followed by the rest of the crowd.

1 [​IMG]Croatia 4 3 1 0 10 1 +9 10
    2 [​IMG]Ukraine 4 2 2 0 7 3 +4 8
    3 [​IMG] Iceland 4 2 1 1 6 5 +1 7
    4 [​IMG] Turkey 4 1 2 1 5 5 0 5
    5 [​IMG] Finland 4 0 1 3 3 6 −3 1
    6 [​IMG] Kosovo 4 0 1 3 1 12 −11 1

Against Iceland we played a 4-2-3-1. with the starters being Vrsaljko Vida Corluka Pivaric-Modric Badelj - Brozovic Rakitic Perisic - Mandzukic

they also has a friendly against Northern Ireland. they beat Northern Ireland in Belfast 0-3. With the goal scorers being Mandzukic, Cop and Kramaric. Really impressed with Kramaric, hope he gets to start some of these qualifying game going forward
    Played 4-2-3-1 against NI too. With the starters being Jedvaj Mitrovic Vida Leovac - Badelj Bradaric - Rog Kramaric Cop - Mandzukic.

11. Ivan Nitko

Ivan Nitko Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Things look good for Vatreni so far. But after the last qualifiers, where we started winning game after game to suddenly fall drasticaly and barely qualify, I've been careful not to set my hopes too high...
    On another note: I can't understand why Puljic wasn't called for the China tournament despite being one of Prva HNL's top scorers...

12. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Yeah I don't get the Jakov Puljic omission either. I kind of like to see how this squad does in China.

Here is the squad for some who want to take a look

Vratari: Andrej Prskalo (Rijeka), Dominik Livaković (Dinamo)
    Obrambeni: Matej Mitrović (Rijeka), Josip Pivarić (Dinamo), Borna Barišić (Osijek), Mateo Barać (Osijek), Josip Juranović (Hajduk), Jakov Filipović (Inter), Toni Datković (Koper).
    Vezni: Josip Mišić (Rijeka), Luka Ivanušec (Lokomotiva), Franko Andrijašević (Rijeka), Mario Šitum (Dinamo), Domagoj Antolić (Dinamo), Fran Tudor (Hajduk), Filip Ozobić (Gabala)
    Napadači: Antonio Perošević (Osijek), Mirko Marić (Lokomotiva)

13. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #38 Gilbertsson, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Croatia lost against Chile at China Cup 2017.

http://net.hr/sport/nogomet/uzivo-n...ivnik-vatrenima-je-najjaca-momcad-na-turniru/

They have problems with penalties, no confidence, no character. Not the first time if we remember some earlier matches, EURO 2008 against Turkey, World Cup 2006 against Japan, Qualifications against Italy.;) They were just scared. Antolic is experienced player, at least he could score. Goalkeeper was not even close to defend anything. Haven't seen the match, time difference.:confused:

Potential great excuses that we usually hear:
    - strong rain
    - jet lag
    - reserve squad
    - referee
    - bad court

It only depends what could prevail this time.:cool:

14. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Croatia ended fourth at China Cup 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_China_Cup

Without any serious quality based on international widely known players, Croatia lost in two matches after penalty shoot-out. Nobody takes seriously the once existing national team cult. At least, China should be defeated. Players don't know how to shoot penalties. No precision, no strength, no character. Proof that Croatia doesn't have more than 7,8 players. If they are not present, anyone can beat Croatia. If nothing changes, the same we can expect in Russia 2018.

15. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #40 Gilbertsson, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Potential squad that could provide success in Russia 2018. The pattern how to achieve the World Cup title.:)

GK: Danijel Subasic (Monaco)

Defenders: Sime Vrsaljko (Atletico Madrid), Vedran Corluka (Lokomotiv Moscow), Dejan Lovren (Liverpool), Domagoj Vida (Dynamo Kyiv), Tin Jedvaj (Leverkusen), Ivan Strinic (Napoli).

Central players: Ivan Perisic (Inter Milano), Luka Modric (Real Madrid), Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona), Mateo Kovacic (Real Madrid), Milan Badelj (Fiorentina), Marcelo Brozovic (Inter Milano), Marko Rog (Napoli), Ante Coric (Dinamo Zagreb), Franko Andrijasevic (NK Rijeka).

Forward players: Marko Pjaca (Juventus), Mario Mandzukic (Juventus), Mario Pasalic (AC Milan), Andrej Kramaric (Hoffenheim), Nikola Kalinic (Fiorentina), Ante Rebic (Eintracht Frankfurt).

Any other interesting names, suggestions?:)

Mateo Pavlovic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mateo_Pavlović

Jozo Simunovic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jozo_Šimunović

Stipe Perica: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stipe_Perica

Ricardo Bagadur: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Bagadur

Nikola Vlasic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Vlašić

Andrija Balic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrija_Balić

Robert Muric: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Murić

Alen Halilovic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alen_Halilović

16. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Croatian to play Mexico may 27 in Los Angeles California. So basically a home game for the Mexicans.:) I wish this game was on the east coast.

17. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Squad for the upcoming qualifying game against Ukraine and then friendly verses Estonia:

Vratari; Danijel Subasic(Monaco), Lovre Kalinic(Gent), Dominik Livakovic(Dinamo Zagreb)
    CB: Vedran Corluka(Lokovmotiv Moscow), Domagoj Vida(Dinamo Kiev), Matej Mitrovic(Besiktas), Marko Leskovic(Dinamo Zagreb), Tin Jedvaj(Bayer Leverkusen)
    RB: Sime Vrsaljko(Athletico Madrid)
    LB: Josip Pivaric(Dinamo Zagreb)
    DM: Filip Bradaric(Rijeka), Milan Badelj(Fiorentina)
    CM: Luka Modric(Real Madrid), Mateo Kovacic(Real Madrid), Ivan Rakitic(Barcelona), Marcelo Brozovic(Inter Milan)
    AM: Marko Rog(Napoli)
    RW: Ivan Perisic(Inter Milan)
    LW: Marko Pjaca(Juventus)
    Napadaci: Mario Mandzukic(Juventus), Nikola Kalinic(Fiorentina), Andrej Kramaric(Hoffenheim), Duje Cop(Sporting Gijon)

Standby players: Mario Pasalic(AC Milan), Marin Leovac(PAOK), Franko Andrijasevic(Rijeka)
    http://hns-cff.hr/news/15959/izbornik-cacic-objavio-popis-igraca-za-ukrajinu-i-estoniju/

Only 1 new face from last game, and that is Marko Leskovic. Dejan Lovren being the only notable absence. And would of liked to have seen Mario Pasalic get a direct call up, as he has done well in Milan this season. Ukraine game will be a home game. While the friendly with Estonia will be played in Tallinn

18. Ivan Nitko

Ivan Nitko Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Well, since Perisic is out of the game against Ukraine, so maybe that means that Pasalic got a spot?
    And PIVARIC?! SERIOUSLY?! Come on! He has been a liability during all the season, for both Dinamo and the NT. Strinic may have been having close to none playing time, but it's still our best option.He could as well have called Sosa, who despite being just a kid, is much more solid than Pivaric.
    But I liked that he called Livakovic instead of Vargic, as since the third gk seldom plays, that role is more beneficial for a younger player who can watch the veterans and learn from them.

19. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Hi Ivan, i agree but coaches are a weird lot they all have their favorites. So yes i would prefer Strinic to Pivaric and Leovac, even when Strinic only plays sparring to the other 2. But now Vrsaljko is injured, and will probably miss the game. I guess Jedvaj plays now in that RB position. Nobody will be called up in Corluka's absence. And for 1 game its not that critical but with Lovren and Corluka both out either Leskovic or Mitrovic will be partnering Vida. And i really don't get the Leskovic call up, he has appeared in only 5 games for Dinamo this season and he gets an immediate call up. Not sure how that entire backline will function now with Corluka out of this upcoming game, some inexperienced player will earn his first qualifying cap in that backfield.

20. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    #45 LordofTheFlies, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Beat Ukraine 1-0 at home. I only saw the last 20 minutes but the analysis is that we played well in the first half and were pretty pedestrian in the second half. I have read different things about who played well and who played poorly. But since I didn't see the game I will not comment. Instead I am posting the up to date standings:

Pos Team Pld
    W D L GF GA GD Pts
    [​IMG] Croatia 5 4 1 0 11 1 + 10 13
    2 [​IMG] Iceland 5 3 1 1 8 6 + 2 10
    3 [​IMG] Ukraine 5 2 2 1 7 4 +3 8
    4 [​IMG] Turkey 5 2 2 1 7 5 +2 8
    5 [​IMG] Finland 5 0 1 4 3 8 −5 1
    6 [​IMG] Kosovo 5 0 1 4 2 14 −12 1

Here are the highlights:

21. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    So we played our friendly against Estonia today and lost 3-0. Personally I find it good that we lost, as it will bring this coach down a peg or 2, as I am not a fan of his. And we can't play with 3 at the back. none of the defenders play as part of a 3 man backfield. it looks like we played a 3-5-2 of some sort. Anyway from what I read it was poor overalll, but I read there were not only on field issues but logistical issues too, Suker doing everything on the cheap probably. Anyway I can't believe they scored on us in the first minute of the game :D. Looking at the starters, it looked like there was very little width, when we got no fullbacks, everything will go through that middle. The starters were:
    Lovre Kalinic ,Marko Leskovic, Matej Mitrovic, Domagoj Vida , Filip Bradaric, Mateo Kovacic, Marko Rog , Duje Cop, Andrej Kramaric, Ivan Perisic, Marko Pjaca

Here is the video highlights, not like there is much to see, just Estonia scoring on us :laugh::

22. Ivan Nitko

Ivan Nitko Member

Aug 24, 2016
    I'm with you in regards of the coach, although it's still pretty humiliating losing to damn Estonia. I mean, why hadn't he put Pašalić in the main list, or called Santini, who is having a great season at Caen? I'm almost sure they'd have done a better job than Bradarić or Ćop in that moment.. .
    This game also showed that we don't really have a bench. Our team just doesn't work without at least one of our main midfielders. Maybe Kovacic will take Luka' s place someday, but today he simply isn't ready. That's not very alarming though, after all Rakitic wasn't that great when he was in his early 20's either (just remember Euro 2008).

23. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    #48 LordofTheFlies, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    With friendlies its about getting something out of them. Did he get/see something in backfield duo of Mitrovic and Leskovic? Is there something there in one of them to make you consider calling them up when Corluka and Lovren are back in the squad. Was playing Rog on the wing a good idea and did he show that he can play on the wing. Can Filip Bradaric be a DM mid for us going forward , if we need to shut a game down, can we count on him. Were there any successes in the 3-5-2 formation work? Is Duje Cop an option off the bench if we need a goal... These questions should be what Cacic needs to answer before WC next year. Because this up and coming WC will be the last WC hurrah for Modric, Rakitic, Corluka, Mandzukic, Kalinic and possibly Perisic and Badelj too(at least in terms of playing at a high level). So Cacic needs to needs to supplement these guys with players that will add to that collective.

24. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  25. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Maybe home game for Croats...:rolleyes:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2013-12...anded-32-and-conquered-californias-wine-world

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/24/local/me-croat

http://archive.redding.com/lifestyl...ant-success-story-ep-375507126-354669471.html

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.culture.usa/5nfyIy8ehu0