Croatia vs. Switzerland (R)

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Freddie Adu, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Freddie Adu

Freddie Adu Member

Mar 6, 2003
    NYC
    Doesn't seem to be much pre-game excitement about this first round clash of underdogs, but I decided to play a little preview match on Pro Evolution Soccer 3 to see what the outcome would be today.

Croatia took control early, not letting Switzerland touch the ball for all intents and purposes for the first 6 minutes of the match. Following a deflected shot after some great build up play in the 7th minute, the ensuing corner resulted in a scoring header by none other than Dado Prso.

A little later, in the 23rd minute, some nifty counterattacking combination play again ended up with Prso bagging a goal, but this time with his feet from just inside the penalty box. It looked like the 3 points were secured. The first half came to a close with Croatia wielding 62% of the possession and a stranglehold on the game.

However, the second half was much more even, back and forth football. A long pass sprang Yakin into the box, and a terrible goalkeeping mistake of coming out too early left the near side open. The Swiss made Croatia pay and the score was 2-1 in the 49th.

11 minutes later, after more Swiss pressure, a harmless Chapuisat strike from 25 meters out took a nasty deflection upon entering the box and caught Croatia's back up goalie flat-footed. The score was 2-2 to the shock of everyone in the stadium; what a comeback by the Swiss.

The Croats increased pressure for the remaining half hour and had a golden opportunity to go ahead 3 minutes from time, but Mornar took too long on his counter attack 1v1 and allowed a racing Haas to tackle the shot away at the last second.

An opportunity wasted for the Croats, and hope kept alive for the Swiss. However, both teams were looking for 3 points to have a shot at advancing. A fair result, all in all.

As for the real game, I predict a draw of some sort.

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm just glad this game comes before England and France, because I don't know if I would have watched it otherwise. It should be an evenly played game with Croatia being slight favorites. If there is a winner in this game, that team will have a good chance to go through. Especially if England loses to France.

3. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is hard for me to get excited as i dont really know players for either team. i am excited to see hakan yakin as i havent seen him since basel was in the CL. i also wanted to watch leko for croatia but to my disappointment i found out he does not start.
    having said that, i think it is going to be a very good match and i am going to watch it.

4. Vic#10

Vic#10 New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Orange County
    I really liked the preview. The thing that i like about this game is that it doesn't matter much , to me, who wins. This is like a breather in between the games that i really have my heart in. I think the game will be a little more favoring for the Croatians and my prediction is 3-1 for Croatia. Personally however, although i will be ok with any score, I tend to lean towards Switzerland because WC 98 when Croatia beat Romania 1-0 from the penalty spot.

5. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hopefully my Swiss will pull the upset today. After a strong qualifying campaign they've apparently been way off that good form.

It's too bad Thurre isn't healthy as he is the only Swiss player I've seen live.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    we're almost ready to kick off - do people need PbP? best speak up here

Switzerland (4-3-1-2): 1-Joerg Stiel; 2-Bernt Haas, 20-Patrick Mueller, 5-Murat Yakin, 17-Christoph Spycher; 8-Raphael Wicky, 6-Johann Vogel, 18-Benjamin Huggel; 10-Hakan Yakin; 11-Stephane Chapuisat, 9-Alexander Frei.

Croatia (4-4-2): 12-Tomislav Butina; 13-Dario Simic, 21-Robert Kovac, 3-Josip Simunic, 6-Boris Zivkovic; 19-Ivica Mornar, 10-Niko Kovac, 22-Nenad Bjelica, 18-Ivica Olic; 9-Dado Prso, 11-Tomislav Sokota.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    prso kicks off...

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    7'

each team has a soft chance or two - a decent flow so far

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    croatia starting to tilt the pitch slightly, mornar's physicality causing problems on the R, olic's speed on the L

11'

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quite a nice contrast in styles.

Croatia are physically strong, tall and with good pace down the wings looking to cross it in.

Swiss are smaller, but have some nice tidy short passing through the middle with Hakan Yakin sitting behind the front two.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    prso sees yellow for a bad dive in the area

14'

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    frei forces a save from 23M

15'

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oooh.

Heating up a bit now, bad giveaway by the swiss right on the edge of their area nearly got punished, then right up the other end Frei makes the keeper save the ball but nearly palm right into the path of the following up players.

14. Freddie Adu

Freddie Adu Member

Mar 6, 2003
    NYC
    Anyone watching on stream? Which one? I can't get them to work for me! Please help a brotha out!

15. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

watching on dutch TV here, sorry

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    yellow for bjelica

30'

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    danger FK for the swiss - Hyakin and frei over it... blocked

31'

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    zivkovic gets a clean header on a CK, but right at the keeper

34'

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    CK croatia, kovac badly misses an open header from 6M

36'

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    otto baric's sunglasses make him look like an extra from the rocky horror picture show

22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Feh. This game is definitely a step below the two games yesterday. Short on skill, bit longer on diving. Chapuisat deserves a yellow for his Louganis worthy attempt.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    olic heads against the bar and over as a swiss offside trap fails miserably

40'

24. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The swiss are absolutely dreadful at defending set pieces. How that wasn't a goal was beyond me. All the swiss defenders ran out except one, so there were 4 or 5 croatians all onside, and yet they head it over from 2 yards out!

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Wow - golden chance for Croatia who had 5 players played onside, but the rebound header hit the post and went out. Should have scored, and an AWFUL play by the entire Swiss defense.