Cristiano vs Pele vs Cryuff vs Maradona

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ---Z---, Apr 22, 2012.

1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Whos better?

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pele >> Maradona >> Cruyff ....

Ronaldo

ko242 repped this.
  3. GrimsbyGooner

GrimsbyGooner Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    and Puskas doesn't make this list, assuming you are claiming these are the four greatest footballers?

4. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    I can't say Maradona was that much better than Cruyff to be honest. They were all far far better than Cristiano Ronaldo though.

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Pele
    Maradona
    Real Ronaldo not the fat one
    Cryuff

6. El Negro Jefe

El Negro Jefe Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Looks at the topic title: Cristiano vs Pele vs Cryuff vs Maradona

No Messi.

8. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cristiano beat puskas record

and puskas was fat, slow and had 1 foot, and was Hungarian to top it all off

Ronaldo has a 6 pack, fast, good with both feet and head.

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Let CR7 beating Messi first ... then come back to this "ridiculous" post - UNTHINKABLE!

ko242 repped this.
  10. Roman Spur

Roman Spur New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi >> CR7 ... as for the others in this title Maradona > Pele >> Cruyff

11. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    3 games in a row messi done jack sh1t

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Cruyff was just as good as Maradona.

C. Ronaldo is just as good as Messi.

13. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I frankly have a very difficult time understanding these types of comments.

If one were to bring up Neymar in the conversation, then yes, it'd be ridiculous. But what is so ridiculous about bringing up a player that has been Top 2 at his trade for at least 5 years? (with no sign of stopping any time soon)

14. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Maybe was more exactly saying that even Messi is still not in that so high slot, so neither Cristiano Ronaldo.

Messi is for me among the 20th and 30th position of all-time, Cristiano Ronaldo among the 40th and 50th position, meanwhile Pelé, Maradona and Cruyff are into the top 5 ever.

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    100% true

The rest of the world disagrees on both counts. Maradona >> Cruyff, no contest.

16. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    That's your opinion, and I respect it. I think its too difficult and a waste of time to compare players across generations. Everyone is either too nostalgic or forgets the fact that the parameters of what makes an amazing player changes with each generation.
    It is beyond me how people continuously use the "lack of NT success" argument against Messi and Ronaldo when comparing them to Pele, etc. If people want to think winning the World Cup in 1958 is anywhere near identical to winning it now, then they can go ahead.
    For the record, I'm not saying that they are in Maradona and Pele's league, I just think that it is a lot closer than people here would like to think, especially since these two players are another planet when compared to their very own contemporaries.

leadleader repped this.
  17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Only because of marketing.

Only Pelé is superior to (almost) anyone, with his three world cups and 1200 goals.

Not that I take you serious anyway.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    There is not much between Ronaldo and Messi. Especially if he wins the CL this year.

His euro2004 performance tops all of Messi his performances until now.

Besides, if you put Baggio into Barcelona, he will also score 40 goals in a year. Certainly.

19. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Always it's subjective, as the main comparison of the thread. What happens is, for example taking the case of Pelé, he showed an impressive performance immediately since 1958 and was so regular among the best players of the world at least until 1973, around one and a half decade, what's apparently is still far for Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. I think it's not a nostalgic matter at this case.

I'm agree with you that the ideas supporting just only about the World Cups or the national teams success seems me very often ridiculous.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Until 1973?

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    True, but their contemporaries do sometimes better on the international scene. Take Schweinsteiger, or Robben for example. Some of their contemp. have played three or more good tournaments so far (Robben has been important and decisive in four so far).

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Football marketing only began in the late 90s, the money players or clubs made prior to that was paltry compared to other sports such as baseball or basketball. Maradona overcame Cruyff after WC86, the conversation then became whether he could challenge Pele in the all-time list.

23. salvatruco21

salvatruco21 Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Centreville
    Club:
    CD Atletico Balboa
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    The real ronaldo is the one from brazil and he still better then christiano

24. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I judge players by the best they produce. Whether it is on a national team or club team is irrelevant to me. While the likes of Robben and Schweinsteiger had considerably better tournaments (like the last World Cup, for example) than Messi and Ronaldo, comparing both sets of players is futile to me because much of the reason why Messi and Ronaldo had such a crappy tournament (by their standards) was due to the even crappier coaching they had. Maradona didn't know what the hell he was doing and Queiroz was insistent on playing ultra-defensive soccer that would in no way benefit a player like Ronaldo.
    So yes, many of their contemporaries do better than them on the NT stage but to me a lot of the reason why is easily explainable.

25. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Fat Ronaldo was a phenom until the injuries, weight issues and transvestite issues. Too bad we didn't get to see him have a full career. Big loss. :(