cristiano Ronaldo's dribbling ability

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Jul 30, 2016.

?

Do you think cristiano ronaldo was a legendary dribbler from 2007-2010

1. Yes I agree he was

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I think he was a fantastic dribbler but not legendary

35 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. I think he was barely average and extremely overrated

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. He couldn't dribble to save his own life

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    giles varley and greatstriker11 repped this.
  2. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    What were your expectations of Shibisaki against Madrid's super team? He scored 2 goals and you've never heard of him before. So is he better than Messi since he performed better against Madrid than Messi has in 2-3 years and exceeded your expectations? Ronaldo's hat-trick and game winner surpassed him profoundly so maybe your expectations of Ronaldo are slightly unrealistic. I guess Barcelona and Atletico are more of a minnow than Kashima since they couldn't score 2 against Madrid in their last match.

3. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    @leadleader is in existential crisis mode.....

#loveit

I heard the Illuminati were calling a meeting in Geneva to determine this year's Champion's League winner and 2017 Ballon D'Or. I'm hearing Nike is lobbying heavily for Ronaldo.

#SoUnfair

4. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Again, you are contradicting yourself. By your principle neither did Madrid score 2 goals against Barca in their last match either. So if we apply your principle then we would end up going round in circles with no end in sight.

The fact that Kashima scored two against Madrid that on itself does not elevate them to top tier opponent let alone formidable rivals.

Many things comes to mind, if you are willing to defend CR7 by claiming he had a "bad day" and the "jet leg" for a long flight then you must consider the rest of Madrid defenses too for having slacked and conceding 2 goals, or did you think that only CR7 had a bad day with jet-leg? You previously claimed that Cronaldo had a bad day flying half the planet to Japan. Was he the only Madrid player on flight that day? As far as I know the remaining 10 players did not get on board the mayflower to Japan. They all had jet-leg, they all might have had a bad day....:rolleyes:

5. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cristianonomics - only apply to CR7, never to anybody else.

greatstriker11 and KennyDalglish repped this.
  6. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Before talking about the Illuminati, I suggest you take a look at your very own GOP which was literally hijacked by a billionare asshole - apparently a charismatic asshole was the one thing the GOP needed all along. Must hurt having all the needed requirements for the asshole part of that equation, but none of the charisma.

#SoFair

greatstriker11 repped this.
  7. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    See, the fundamental fascination is the one-dimensional arguments Cristiano Ronaldo fans come up with (which is very unique in many respects) and you see a small but significant number of Cristiano fans who for some reason think he is as talented as Messi while the rest of the world dont. It doesn't matter if the two ids belong to the same person or not - in spirit they are all the same person.

8. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    #358 KennyDalglish, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Cristiano Ronaldo - difference maker . Please dont crack me up.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/tactics-...stioned-but-he-needs-a-career-defining-moment

Pretty sure the author of above article is a Cristiano hater or a Messi fan. Barcelona has two teams - one with Messi and one without. The current Real Madrid team could drop Cristiano and wouldnt skip a beat. Difference maker allright.

And your point about goal to shot ratio. So what you are saying is that its okay for Cristiano to have a poor goal to shot ratio because he makes failed attempts at goals that are very tough. Hmm, his footballing intelligence must be seriously questionable if he is wasting his team's chances on shots that seldom go in. But hey, he is scoring 50 plus goals every season courtesy of playing for Real Madrid - wonder how many he would have scored if he played for a club like Liverpool?

Oh and for passing, it should not be assist to pass ratio since not every pass is meant to be an assist. It should be more like attempted pass to pass ratio. (Attempted ball stat will also include how many times you lost the ball) Pretty sure, Messi's ratio is higher than Cristiano's there since Messi is a more world-class passer. If Cristiano's ratio is higher than Messi's, it would suggest Cristiano played smart because of his limited ability and fair play to him but I highly doubt it.

As for headers, the problem with headers is that without the proper cross, you cant make any impact. I remember the Cristianophiles in BS getting all excited when Cristiano delivered a cross for Portugal to equalize against USA in a world cup match. Cristiano fan logic is 'If the goal was off a Cristiano assist, the assist was great. If Cristiano scored the goal, its the goal thats great.' Btw pretty sure, very few 'Portugal' fans *cough Cristiano fans coughs* would even remember who scored that header.

9. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    The part highlighted in bold is the only fact you said in your entire essay. And there is a reason for that. Cristiano is a limited player who cant contribute much otherwise - especially the way he plays now. Cristiano cant play like how Messi played in his champions league debut against Chelsea where he was man of the match without a goal or assist.

The rest of your post is
    1) typical one dimensional stats argument typical of a Cristiano fan
    2) double standards when judging Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo (which is impressive since its outside the realms of the Typical one dimensional Cristiano fan arguments)

Now, regarding double standards, it would have to be on a case by case basis - Cristiano fans typically have a lower cutoff for genius when it comes to their idol which is why they see this so-called 'double standard' and nobody else in the world sees it. Personally, I believe the media is biased considerably in favor of Cristiano - I was on a flight and the best viewing they had was the Euro 2016 matches. (The horror) And the joke is in one of the highlight reels, the commentator said that Portugal was able to advance this far primarily because of Cristiano Ronaldo. Oh my oh my - remember, if there was any other player who played in Cristiano's place in that Euro, he would have been one forgotten player. now thats an actual double standard.

Sexy Beast, leadleader and giles varley repped this.
  10. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Correction - they favor Messi because he is the better player.

Oh wait- another Cristiano hater below.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.goal...2/messi-on-another-level-to-ronaldo-guardiola

Ever wonder why nobody ever says Cristiano is a GOAT player or is on another level to Messi? Because the best Cristiano can hope for is to be Messi's equal in a year where Messi wins nada like say 2016 and Cristiano wins two of the biggest trophies he played in that year.

11. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    I'm not contradicting anything, I'm exposing the fact that greatstriker's expectations is a ridiculous measure to judge value. You keep forming irrational conclusions based on little foundation. Like judging Ronaldo's dribbling ability based on one Sunday afternoon. Or expecting Ronaldo to dominate a team simply because there name is Kashima when on the day they outplayed Barcelona and Atletico in terms of threatening Madrid.

The fact that Ronaldo had a bad dribbling day against Kashima does not define his ability. It's comical that you can refute your own logic spun back at you but you can't stop yourself from originally introducing it.

Wow, you are slow. I see why James won every debate against you. This is my whole point fool. This is why games like this are usually misleading and when big clubs take these games for granted they can easily be stunned. Hence, you dismissing them straight away because their name is Kashima is absurd. Barcelona playing Espanyol was a much easier ask. Get it now?

12. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Yawn, more senseless drivel. Posting links to articles is more proof you don't know shit about Ronaldo. You would have independent knowledge and thought if you actually watched the games first hand. You wouldn't have to rely on ESPN and Youtube. Barcelona has fared really well without Messi over the years and from 09/13 had a much better record than Madrid without Ronaldo. You going to claim "Barca could've dropped Messi and not skip a beat?"

Just look at the article header, "Ronaldo needs a career defining moment? lmao....I guess the 2 goals and assist against Hungary weren't shit. His header and assist vs Wales is forgettable. 4 goals against Sweden to qualify for the World Cup is nothing. Scoring the winning penalty in the shootout for his 3rd Champion's League isn't a memorable moment. Scoring 17 goals in the Champion's League and winning La Decima was blah......2 goals at the Camp Nou to secure La Liga wasn't much either. Leading the first United side to win the treble and scoring the header in the Champion's League Final is average too.

Your example of Ronaldo receiving credit for the cross or the header is incorrect and exactly what I said about Messi in another response. There isn't a goal scored in Barcelona Messi doesn't get the props for. If he plays the pass that led to the pass that led to the pass that led to the goal he gets the credit. If Messi plays any part in a goal he gets "build-up" and "involvment" points. Lol.....

As for shots, you aren't comprehending my point. Glancing headers from corners in a crowded box with everybody tugging and pulling are low percentage opportunities. Free-kicks from 30 yards or taking difficult shots with the opposite foot is all chances Messi will never take at any point in a season. Messi's shot graph would show he is limited to a much simpler shot attempt range. Ronaldo does not have an advantage when it comes to high quality, close range attempts. Ronaldo gets on the end of more balls than Messi especially considering Messi is taking the corners and crossing long range free kicks.

And I know you aren't saying the guy who has been the top scorer on 3 teams couldn't score for Liverpool. At Madrid he has scored 50 goals or more with 4 completely different midfields. It's Messi who's enjoyed the same nucleus of players at one club built around him his whole career.

13. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Endless bullshit...

You people want to pretend Ronaldo's career started last summer. Ronaldo used to dominate and influence seemingly every single attack at United. He would get the ball deep in his own half and dribble the entire field repeatedly throughout a game and distribute the ball to shape attacks. He scored 23 goals and gave 20 assists in 06/07. Those are Ronaldinho numbers who you claim he never reached the heights of. Never in those days was Ronaldo considered the best player in every single game he played. If "the other things" are what truly makes a legend why did he only become a superstar after scoring 42 goals?

The funny thing is, Ronaldo is always at the top of his team in chances created and assists ever year as well. Many times not far from Messi who gets double and triple the possessions Ronaldo does. How is it ********ing possible that one player has 50 goals and 20 assists being man of the match in every game and another player has 50 goals and 20 assists with nothing but terrible performances who had little influence on the game? Can you see the double standard? Someone isn't being honest here and I know it's not me.

The system of measure that you have all put in place is designed purposely so that Messi can literally never fail. Ronaldo's strengths are given no weight what-so-ever. Ronaldo making a run is using his vision to read the game, timing to create the opportunity and skills to control the pass. Why is the passer automatically doing more? It's bullshit. Without creative and skillful off the ball movement there would be no pass to begin with. In the analysis of a game Ronaldo's movement, placement and timing isn't valued or statistically tracked. Even though this is a shared proposition. This is just one example of how judging a player is skewed towards Messi and the list goes on.

As for Euro '16....Ronaldo scored 2 goals and played a 30 yard throughball between defenders for Nani to beat Hungary in an elimination match. He converted a penalty in a shootout to help his team advance (see Messi) He dropped back to double team a player, stole the ball, passed to Sanches who was wide open running through midfield, he sprinted down the field at the far post, received Nani's missed shot and then shot at goal to force a diving save which fell to Quaresma for the open goal to beat Croatia. Ronaldo played 4 vital roles in that sequence but wasn't integral to his team's win? He then went on to score a header and assist to Nani to beat Wales and advance to the final. Obvious hater talk to claim Portugal won without Ronaldo or Ronaldo was poor. He created 6 of 9 goals scored in the tournament. Thsi right here is all the proof you need of how the two player's contributions are judged.

Isaías Silva Serafim and carlito86 repped this.
  14. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #364 greatstriker11, Dec 24, 2016
    typically Edgar, resorting to ad hominem attacks as soon as he runs out of arguments

How is it that James won every debate when it was James who left bigsoccer for good soon after our debate ended. Guess that was his way of making concession. Like a dog carrying his tail between his legs. He conceded and was so embarrassed he had no business left here. At least James knew when to call it quits, you in turn are so deep in your delusion guess you must be on the far end of the autism "spectrum". I am looking forward to seeing you following him suit. Why it's taking so long though? :whistling:

leadleader repped this.
  15. Marfty

Marfty New Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Kashima, Jeonbuk, Al Ain, etc they're all the powerhouses.
    If Ronaldo scores a hattrick against an asian team that you have to respect.
    I know that Kashima can't even make it out of the ACL friggin group stage but they turned into a footballing powerhouse just a few days ago.
    And who the hell are Espanyol, to the mighty Kashima!

16. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    First off, I dontneed to rely on ESPN or youtube to know who is the better player - especially for something as obvious as night and day. That article explained exactly how neutrals think - why do I have to keep exercising my typing muscles over and over again to type a great post which may get repped a couple of times but which will eventually get lost in endless Cristiano-Messi discusssions which the Cristiano fans perpetuate day and night. I will keep showing that link for future discussions to show Cristiano fans how the neutrals think rather than me having to repeat them over and over again. What Cristiano did for Real Madrid and Portugal in 2016, if Suarez had played in his place, the results of games would have been better for the most part. Only problem was Portugal would have played better in the group stages and then they would have met powerhouses in the knockout stages thereby sognificantly reducing the chances of a Euro truimph. So in a way Cristiano was responsible for the Euro win but that was because he was pretty average overall. cristiano is replacable - Messi not quite so much. And oh, with the exception of the season when Madrid won La Liga with Mourinho, this is the first time Real Madrid looks like favorites for the title. And this is a season where Cristiano's influence has been minimal.

Yup, all those goals scored against powerhouses with the exception of the match against Barcelona FC in a season Real Madrid had pretty much sown up the league. For the record, it was not first United club to win a treble. Pretty shocked you didnt know that.
    Help me out here - for a cross that results in a headed goal, does the crosser or the header get the credit? Because I see Cristiano fans talking about that great cross against USA but at the same time talking about his headed goal in UCL final. And then of course, lets not forget the pre-assists which Cristiano provides. No neutral or Messi fans talk about Messi's headed goals or his crosses for headed goals or his pre-assists . See the desperation?

Now, regarding Cristiano getting at the end of more balls- how is it that all world-class strikers who do the same thing dont waste as many shots as Cristiano? Its not just Messi- Suarez, aguero, Costa - none of those players take as many shots as Cristiano.

Well, the thing is, in current form, Suarez is better than Cristiano. And Suarez's best season in EPL and La Liga is better than Cristiano's best season in EPL and La Liga if we only consider goals from open play. If Suarez played at a certain level with Liverpool, its pretty safe to assume with Cristiano's limited potency relative to Suarez, he would not be capable of crossing 20 goals from open play.

leadleader repped this.
  17. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Your above post has a header line followed by 4 paragraphs.

In the first two paragraphs, you compare Cristiano with Ronaldinho and Messi respectively. Both paragrpahs - you use the same one-dimensional Cristiano fan arguments which would be ''Player A scored X goals and Y assists in Z matches. Player B scored x1 goals and y1 assists in z1 matches. therefore, Player A is better than player B since X/Z is greater than x1/z1. '

Ronaldinho is the prime example. Ronaldinho was a playmaker/difference-maker for FC Barcelona. He has delivered in more big matches in his limited 3 year peak than Cristiano in his entire career. Then you bring comparison against Messi - Barcelona doesnt need Messi to score Cristiano tap-ins, they have a player for that which is Suarez. If you are comparing stats, you compare against Suarez. Messi is on a different level compared to Cristiano.

Your third paragraph talks about highlighting Cristiano's abilities and try to seemingly be on par with Messi. For the record, Messi is capable of doing everything better on the football ground than cristiano except for the following abilities
    1) ability to rock a panty (Cristiano would dance circles around Messi on that one)
    2) ability to dive (Cristiano would swin circles around Messi on that one)
    3) heading ability

But every other footballing attribute - Messi is better. If he doesnt do some things as much as Cristiano does, its because thats not his role in either Barcelona or Argentina team where they have specialized players to do so like Suarez or Aguero/Higuain. And lets not even go into dribbling territory - which is the premise of this thread - where Messi would dance circles around Cristiano like Cristiano would around Messi for a 'Rock the panty' contest.

Paragraph 4 again talks about his limited influence performance in Euro 2016 through the eyes of a Cristiano fan. People with Cristiano goggles may seem what you see - you would be hard-pressed to find any neutral who do so though.

18. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Cristiano Ronaldo used to be arguably the best dribbler in the world, and, in that era, was probably as good a dribbler as all but a handful of players in history. He is now not a particularly great dribbler and hasn't been for years.

/thread

RamyBt and greatstriker11 repped this.
  19. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #369 leadleader, Dec 24, 2016
    Interesting facts:

Higuain La Liga 2009-10:
    32 apps / 2394 minutes / 27 open-play goals / 0 PK goals / 0 FK goals / 27 goals total
    Cristiano La Liga 2009-10:
    29 apps / 2470 minutes / 21 open-play goals / 4 PK goals / 1 FK goal / 26 goals total
    La Liga 2009-10 Round 33 (out of 38 rounds):
    Barcelona / 83 points
    Real Madrid / 80 points / Higuain 25 open-play goals / CR7 16 open-play goals
    Diego Forlan La Liga 2008-09 & 2009-10:
    4 goals (one of them a PK goal) out of 3 games vs. Barcelona / 4 goals (one of them a PK goal) out of 4 games vs. Real Madrid
    Benzema vs. Barcelona La Liga 2009-16:
    14 games / 919 minutes / 7 open-play goals / 0 PK goals / 2 assists (for CR7) / 7 goals total
    CR7 vs. Barcelona La Liga 2009-16
    14 games / 1179 minutes / 5 open-play goals / 3 PK goals / 0 assists / 8 goals total

greatstriker11 repped this.
  20. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    CR7 fanboy who openly advocates for homophobia and/or homo-shaming.

#irony

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I can't explain how tired I'm getting of all this rubbish.

All the people who've been engaging in this have had ample prior warnings. I think it's time to start the red card hammer again.

RamyBt repped this.
  22. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Is that what has happened to guys I no longer see around here like badabing and pipiolo?

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    BadaBing yes, can't remember if we red carded Pipiolo.

RamyBt repped this.
  24. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    His best dribbling years were at Utd(2006-07 and 2007-08 season being the best). It’s funny how his dribbling skills declined when he joined Real Madrid.

25. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    RamyBt repped this.