Cristiano Ronaldo / WC 2018 - distraction??

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Jonathan Pimentel, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Firstly, let me begin by saying in no way, shape, or form am i suggesting Ronaldo will not be/should not be involved in the WC 2018. It is a given that he will be there, captain the team, start every game (if healthy) and play all 90 minutes on each occasion.

I am just curious what the opinions of others are given the current situation of:
    - Real Madrids form
    - Ronaldos poorest form since 2005
    - Ronaldos unhappiness at Madrid due to broken promises regarding his contract situation
    - The fact sources have stated that Ronaldo has infact told his team mates he will be leaving back in the summer with his prefered choice being Manchester United.

Ultimately, this isnt the first time Portugal and Ronaldo have been in this situation heading into the tournament.

Granted, it is 6 months away, and a lot can change between now and then, yet, if it doesnt, how do you believe this will affect him and the National team?

Or has Ronaldo gotten to the point in his career where his club/money situation gets pushed aside in an attempt to obtain the one thing he doesnt have.. a World Cup.

2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say when it comes to his country, we have nothing to worry about, in terms of his ability to drown out outside distractions.

The more import concern is that he’ll be 33 in a month.

eurodad repped this.
  3. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    It would be great if Zidane only used Ronaldo for the champions league and everyother game in La Liga. He needs to be well rested for the World Cup. Ronaldo is a top professional. He can go from having the worse game of his career to the best game in a matter of days.

4. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If CR7 fails at club level this season (which is looking like he will)

It will make him even hungrier at the World Cup. I think its best for Portugal if he fails at club level. That's how i would look at it if i was coach of the national team. I'm not selfish, i'm just a patriot for nossa bandeira.

PORTUGAL PRIMEIRO.