Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Lewa9, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1551 greatstriker11, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    Now you are insulting a whole culture, in the same fashion Puck does.

Why do you guys from up north always have to insult a whole nation down south in order to compensate for your lack?

If you got an issue with @leadleader then insult him personally, but leave Spain and her people out of it.

I won't call you a racist though cause that would kick start a row between us, destroy this thread, and wake up the watch dog of @comme .

so can we talk about football for once and leave out the personal vendettas?

Once and Pipiolo repped this.
  2. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And you had to insult the whole of Spain a-la Puck style?

3. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :laugh::ROFLMAO:

leadleader repped this.
  4. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    What I said was, "I debate Republicans, you think this bothers me?" There is no bragging or implication that it makes me more intelligent. I am strictly speaking to being 'out-numbered' and debating real world issues so debating football is clearly insignificant by comparison. Whereas someone without this experience may feel intimidated. The Messiphiles have run off many posters before, I will not be intimidated.

I have no recollection of you having debunked a single argument.

More than Dazer agrees with my arguments. You are on a Messi forum circle jerking Messi and have the same 2 or 3 posters repping you. I can't believe you would use reps as a barometer. You are again laughably ironic.

Lol, I expose your entire arguments and you claim they are "small mistakes." You can't base an argument around winning a group "comfortably" and claim your argument has validity when it is proven they would only win by 1 point. That is major conceptual error.

You can't claim Ronaldo scores 15 penalties every year and then claim you have an argument left after I prove the most he has ever scored was 12 and Messi had 11 in the same year. Another major error.

You actually argued its easier to perform for 10 months than 3 weeks. There is no basis for such a ridiculous notion such as this.

You can't just say on a whim that Ronaldo's looks makes him the media favorite and then state that you never meant he was the favorite.

Most of all. You can't say "football is not only about scoring goals" and then ironically cite two other functions that are premised entirely on goal scoring. Glowing error. You are full of fail.

I am sorry that your only accomplishment in this world is "collaborating with reputable writers in several languages." You ooze inferiority.

Please do yourself a favor an re-read our exchanges. You deflect and evade point after point. You are publicly executing yourself every time you challenge me.

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Depends on the context of the matches, but in general 4 WC goals will be remembered for much longer than any amount of CL goals. Leading your NT to the WC final is a bigger accomplishment than winning the CL, sure. Plus Ronaldo would kill to have a WC like Messi did in Brazil since he knows now he will never have one, whereas Messi does not need Ronaldo's CL campaign of 13-14 as he already has better ones. Advantage Messi.

Even if it was an easier draw, Messi succeeded whereas Ronaldo FAILED.

Other WC winners/finalists with easy group draws: Brazil 94, France 98, Brazil 02, Germany 02. Where are you two million crybaby posts about their group rivals? :rolleyes:

greatstriker11 repped this.
  6. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    lol, Ronaldo directly contributed to 6 of the 9 goals, without his involvement the team produced 3 goals. So again, affording myself the same conjectural leniency as you enjoy. Madrid would have won only 3-2 without Ronaldo.

So using your own logic you have employed on numerous occasions we can clearly see Ronaldo deserves the credit for making it "an easy fixture.'

I can't wait for a response that will refute dozens of your own arguments. Make sure to present your clueless drivel posthaste.

7. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Messi failed to win the Chapmions League, Uefa Supecup, Copa Del Rey, Club World Cup, Champion's League Top Scorer, Golden Boot, La Liga Best Player, UEFA European Best Player and the 2014 Ballon D' Or.

That Golden Ball was probably worth it though....

8. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011

There is jokes and then there is racism. I resent the implication, I quipped about Spain being 3rd world vs 1st world. People all over the world find humor in 3rd world jokes. You need to settle down.

Unless you want to explain how a nation with 99% unemployment is "1st world"....

9. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #1559 EdgarAllanPoet, Jan 7, 2015

I thought this post was hysterical and somewhat accurate. Although I'd be remiss if I didn't address it to clear up some of the misunderstanding.

A "writing" competition isn't exactly accurate. @leadleader was braggadocio about his long, excruciatingly verbose posts. He alludes to himself being a master of the English language even though it is his 3rd choice or whatever. He claims he has "reputable writers'' 'praising his work' and he claims to descend from a long line of "recognized geniuses." He hob-knobs with the academic elite who all think politics is for mere mortals. A trite field of study consisting of simpletons with no intellectual standing.

I put him on notice that 60-70% of my work is writing. I am no novice when it comes to literary analysis. I have an M.A. in Political Science from Northwestern University. I have studied Constitutional Law for over a decade. I am a Political Strategist, consultant and theorist. I have helped influence local, state and national legislation in different capacities. I have authored, edited and contributed to some degree over a thousand speeches alone, essays, research papers, etc. I have written Op-eds, published in periodicals etc. I have worked with, socialized, lived among and been taught by some of the brightest minds in law, physics, biology, philosophy and just about every other field you can think of.

His schtick of being an ubermensch is tired. He doesn't even grasp that politics is the language of the world that encompasses every aspect of life and dictates every facet of our existence. I guess he views politicians and politics as one. Another major flaw he suffers from.

In my professional opinion, he is bland, ironic, verbose, obvious, contradictory, desperate and highly inaccurate.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  10. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    repped for your impressive CV, not for disrespecting Leadleader ;)

11. DazerII

DazerII Member

May 27, 2011
    We've discussed and argued about almost everything you are saying in your first paragraph, and I am not prepared to read long novels again. All you did is to try to condense and package your points differently so that we can start the same arguments again...WC>CL, 4 goals > 17 because CR goals were useless, Argentina group was not easy a.k.a "only easy on paper", Messi lead Argentina to the final by that 1 assist in the knockout stages...

The bold one is more like you, classic. At least we have achieved something as you acknowledge that there are easy groups. The problem I guess was going to be if Messi was playing for each of those countries as you were probably going to deny that they were easy draws.

Lastly can you tell me why on earth would I "cry" about easy draws of those countries when there is no one here denying those teams had easy draws?

12. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Well, thank you. I appreciate it. Despite leadleader saying I put it out there to brag on a football forum. I said it originally in a conversation regarding the differences between social sciences and natural science. I then repeated it to inform @leadleader I am not going to be amazed by his spectacular claims he feels people should bow down to. Of course him claiming that he is Mark Twain in 3 different languages is not "bragging" though...

More hypocrisy from the intelligent one.

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I think all of you have a point or few ones.
    However some points can not be lumped together

1- I Agree WC > UCL (in the sense UCL got 2 chances, while WC only one. On top of the fact it's easier to play with clb team mates then with NT team mates in term of frequency and syncing)

2- But overall CR7 at UCL was (at least) as good as Messi at WC (but both were not great there)

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Technically Spain is third-world since they didn't align with either the USA or Soviet Union and stayed out of the dumbest war of the 20th century.

leadleader and Pipiolo repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    One difference is that Argentina probably doesn't even get out of the group-stage without Messi much less the round of 16. Whereas if your team wins 9-2, I think its down to more than one player being the difference. :cool:

Cr7 is a great talent and had a strong campaign, but he had one hell of a team around him!

Pipiolo repped this.
  16. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #1566 EdgarAllanPoet, Jan 7, 2015
    I can't believe the conjecture thrown around here like its indisputable fact. Look at Di Maria's assist hat-trick and goal against Germany. That was as good as any performance I've seen from Messi for Argentina. There would be someone in his absence and they could utilize other tactics not relying on 'where's Messi ball.' Argentina is not lacking for talent, the thought that they suddenly become the dark horse of that group with that team is comical. You can't have a team playing for 1 man and then when that 1 man decides the game you claim "look, see they'd struggle without him."

Messi demands so much of the ball and orchestrates so much of the play which is suited to his game. Without him on the field they would find other options, all of whom are capable of scoring hat-tricks and what not. Your theory is proved wrong time and again. Look at Barca having a better record last year without Messi then with. We aren't talking about Portugal without Ronaldo here. Aguero who is an elite striker becomes an after-thought, then when he doesn't score you guys claim no one else can win them games. Get Messi out of the way and center the attack around setting up Ageuro then see if he can't score. We all know the history of Messi and teammates scoring goals.

As I've pointed out numerous times, that 9-2 scoreline is from Ronaldo's direct involvement. The score was '3-2'' "without Ronaldo." You guys can't have it both ways like you attempt in every argument.

The major flaw in these proclamations is you look at a final result brought about by direct circumstances, then extrapolate a myriad of conclusions based on nothing more then conjecture based on eliminating certain elements.

If you want to eliminate Messi's goals and claim Argentina wouldn't win without him, then eliminate all the time he spent on the ball, all the passes he received, all the turnovers he produced, all the shots he took, all the errant passes, all the instances in a game where another player was passed over in favor of Messi ...etc...etc. These moments would go to other players who would make other decisions and create other opportunities.

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1567 greatstriker11, Jan 7, 2015
    Racism disguised as joke is all that came from your earlier comments.

And since when does unemployment rate group a country in a 3rd world rank?

The Netherlands where i am originally from had one of the highest unemployment rate for the last couple of years in western Europe, and still does. Yet, it is still classed as one of the richest and most progressive of western European countries. Norway's (a 1st world country) unemployment rate is mind bogging! Your assumption is skewed Ed!

Get your facts straight.

And joking about Spain as a lesser culture than northern Europeans is no joke at all. It is quite insulting to be honest.

Did you know that Spain ruled the Dutch (whole of the Benelux) for more then 80 years? There you have it. Spain ruling the roost in Northern Europe for almost a decade. Where is your northern Caucasian supremacy now?

And to your own surprise, Spain is more developed and modern than some of the northern European countries e.g Belgium, and Northern Ireland to name a few. Barcelona and Valencia have better and more sophisticated public transport system then the UK. I know this cause I live in the UK for more then 8 years now. Have you been to Brussels? God that place is a stench!

Wait and see when this global economic malaise comes to an end, how Spain will be back to its pre-2008 status. All northern Europeans e.g Germans, Dutch, Brits will all be back buying real estates like they used to in Spain, before North American hedge funds and greedy bankers ********ed up the global economy in 2008. Spain is the place were every northern European wants to retire don't they? Wait and see, It's just a matter of dates.

Again, unemployment has got nothing to do with being classed as 3rd world!

1st world = democratic developed countries
    2nd world = eastern block colonies of former communist soviet union.
    3rd world = all the rest

that is the definition of 3rd world according to official sources.

@leadleader @Pipiolo ?

leadleader and Pipiolo repped this.
  18. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1st world = democratic developed countries
    2nd world = eastern block colonies of former communist soviet union.
    3rd world = all the rest

experts and pundits do not use this cold war classification any more. A real economist will laugh at any one using this primitive archaic classification.

There is no such thing as 1st or 2nd or 3rd world any more. That is something of the past.

Today, we use a different wording/term

developed nations
    developing nations
    under developed nations

19. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    I am from the United States bruh. Spain is 3rd world by comparison. Again, the unemployment rate was just a joke jabbing at the economic peril. I am aware of what constitutes a 3rd world nation and yes Spain is developed. However, the joke about geniuses was the idea that the standard for intelligence in a country like Spain is lesser than the United States. Say someone claims to be the best architect in Afghanistan, get it now? It's like being the greatest fisherman in Saudi Arabia, the best skier in Brazil, being the largest internet provider in North Korea... This is American humor, maybe this is why you are so lost.

20. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Take your U.N. watered down, politically correct, reclassification shit and piss off. In the United States we use '3rd world' still. Every American knows exactly what this means. We say it to describe anything which we see as second rate.

This is my arena homeboy, I'm not asking you about quarks here. You are not going to school me on geo-political issues as seen from the perspective of a United States citizen. Globalization has made people like you feel your opinions are relevant on the grand scale.

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I had proven ... Argentina never needed Messi goals to get out of that (weak group) worst case tehy will be qualified as 2nd spot (at the expense of Nigeria and Iran)

Now credits are due for them:
    1- Messi did great in group (no question) to help Argentina in #1 spot (that to avoid France in R16)

2- CR7 did great in his last two games to help Portugal qualified for WC14 in last minutes (at the expense of strong Sweden and unlucky Ibra)

22. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  23. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    The best post you have ever made. Most intelligent and shortest too. Excellent job.

24. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1574 leadleader, Jan 7, 2015
    I like Politics and I think it's a fairly great job. I have no idea from where you got such conclusions? However, I did say that many of the players involved in that field won the genetic lottery, and that winning the genetic lottery is not anywhere near as virtuous as widely advertised by most secular cultures.

You were acting as though you were this super intelligent player just because you worked within that club, I merely reminded you that working in politics is simply not all that. It certainly does not make you more intelligent than an electric engineer or a chemist, for example. And it certainly does not give you bragging rights to talk down on any person who does not agree with your every word about some football player.

Literary analysis of what, within this context? Some argument that I wrote with the mentality of "as cheap as possible, as fast as possible" whilst multitasking? Brilliant.

If I were to rate you as a writer on the basis of what you've shown here, I'd say your humor is cheap and your writing is cheaper. That being said, I know that measuring the talent or potential of any writer on the basis of simplistic football talk, is a complete waste of time.

Your professional opinion is based on repetitive arguments which I wrote with 30% of my mind and interest, so do forgive me when I say to you... I know my worth as a writer very well.

Oh and, please spare me the "He doesn't even grasp that politics is the language of the world that encompasses every aspect of life" bullshit. That's elemental stuff, I don't need some big headed dick lecturing me on things I already know all too well.

greatstriker11 repped this.
  25. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    no matter how intelligent or how stupid we are, can we talk about football here, peace to everyone.......................

greatstriker11, leadleader and Pipiolo repped this.