Cristiano Ronaldo or Brazilian Ronaldo

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Mysterious, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can find one ... :p

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsytHDp2o[/ame]

Not to mention that Maradona had no right foot ... therefore he is not a legend :D

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo wasn't rubbish that game at all. He was good.

3. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    1:10, 1:42, 2:42 are all defenders running into him, the latter two both yellow cards, are you telling me defenders are allowed to use their bodies to bump and obstruct now?

4. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

lol,

this doesn't change anything though.:D

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My point is, your arguments are irrational:

- You say I don't see R9 passing ability, I showed you passing
    - You say he is not so great because he didn't score from outside, well ... he could and did score from outside, but being a striker of R9's stype makes you more likely to score from inside the box (look at RVN, Muller)
    - You say he can't be a legend because he can't even head the ball ... see Maradona, Zico ...
    - You say, look at CR's performance in this video, it proves dribbling, ball control, passing ... he had a pretty good game, but there were no incicive passes in those highlights, only trick passes with good ball skills... and he lost the ball a bunch...
    - You say, R9 beat defenders half his size and imply that CR is fouled more ... anybody who saw R9 play know that he was hacked left and right. Or maybe he was just more elusive, faster, and stronger than CR ...

Note that I am not saying who's better, I am just pointing out that your points are invalid.

6. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    If he doesn't score he's shit.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1:10 is debatable ... the defender was in his position and didn't move just to block CR. CR had momentum coming forward ... you want the defender just to step to the side and roll the red carpet ?

The other 2 are regular fouls for players who dribble a lot... not any different than what used to happen with R9.

8. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I got to agree. Ronaldo was fouled just as much as anyone, he just had more of tendency to stay on his feet compared to Cristiano. He did score from far, and had a good shot from distance.

Personally, I think the Brazuca is better, he is a legend, but Ronaldo is making his way, and correct me if I am wrong, but 42 goal in a season is stuff of legends as well.

9. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    Till this day I can't remember a guy who protected the ball better than ronaldo. The guy knew how to keep the ball at his feet and new how to use his body to shield a ball better than anybody. It was soo hard to get the ball away from him.

I really don't see how anybody can compare these 2. The way they played the game was completely different.

Don't get me wrong CR is a fantastic player but I don't see why anybody would want to compare him to ronaldo.

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Are you serious? I can give you some reasons why.

1. Both their names are "Ronaldo"

2. One of from Brasil, the other being from Portugal

3. They both are attacking players who enjoy being fintoso.

I can keep going if you want?

11. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

My point is whenever I argue that Cristiano is a more gifted, well-rounded, versatile player you ride the "R9 was a striker" wave. It's BS. Their isn't one facet in R9's game that Cristiano doesn't posess.

I never said R9 isn't legendary or shouldn't be considered one of the best ever, I'm saying he was one demesnional. Cristiano can consitantley do it with both feet, in the air, from a volley, from range, off a run around two defenders and a keeper. So to use your logic I can discredit everything you give higher marks to R9 for by simply saying "Cristiano is a winger." That's irrational.

Because he's a striker he never had ample opportunities from 25/30 yards out? He never had opportunities to head the ball because he played on ground ball teams? Come on. He didn't take free kicks why? Because these are elements of the game that he didn't master.

12. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey

please do. big deal there both named ronaldo. and big deal one's from brazil and the other portugal. how about comparing the way they play the game? one plays upfront and the other is all over the pitch. one was a true goal scorer and the other can play upfront, on the either wing or in the middle.

so please go ahead and tell how they really compare.

13. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    JuveFE,

If memory serves Pele/Maradona are compared everyday, people put too much stock in this position shit. If you're an attacking player your job is to put goals on the board either yourself or from the utilization of your teamates. The question is which one is better while accomplishing this. I believe C. Ronaldo, he transcends his position almost to the point you really can't label him as any one specific title.

14. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    You're wrong, two of those goals were the direct result of him diving in the box and drawing bogus penalties, so by my calculations he should have only had 40... Which we all know is not "legendary."

I figured I'd get that argument outta the way...;)

15. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't expect a thing, it wasn't me who used that video as an example though. Believe me, I don't hate Cristiano Ronaldo or anything, I just think that claiming his dribbling is better than Ronaldo's is a joke.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And I quote ....

As for the rest....one-dimensional ??? You have to be kidding. You know ... R9 could finish with both of his feet as well. I showed you he was great passer. He was definitely better at being more direct and running straight at defenders. Even when he slowed down he was able to create space by playing with the defender's balance. His stepovers were more effective.

Think about it ... he scored 319 goals in 451 games (0.7 per game) in a career riddled with injuries that kept him out of play for 2 years in his prime.

As for the shooting from outside aspect ... everybody but you knows he had that ability (as shown by some of this goals), but why should shoot from outside when you can just walk the ball in the goal ;)

17. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey

i guess thats my main point. i don't want to stir anything up on here. I just look at CR and his game and don't see the ronaldo comparison.

But you guys go ahead and discuss.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No doubt. Last season and the one before were really amazing for CR.

19. O Fenômeno

O Fenômeno New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    New Jersey

One is ronaldo...the other got his name from Ronald Regan....

Sorry had to cheapshot....:p

20. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    This thread is considerably over 500 posts, so I'm closing it. Please start a new one if you would like to continue the discussion.