Crew/Wizard Open Cup Semifinal PBP and postgame [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MFRONE, Sep 10, 2002.

1. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Re: Re: Re: -

Can't disagree with you about the clueless morons. But take a look at how embarassing it is for the following players:

US Soccer: Averaged 2,600 for their two cup semi-finals.

Columbus Crew: Through really no fault of their own, from the sounds of it, the lowest crowd in their club's 7-yr. history for in essence one of the "biggest games" of all-time. Hopefully this is a lesson learned.

Major League Soccer: Those average, casual folks flipping through their TV set on Tuesday night don't know the difference between MLS and US Soccer. Thus, they view this event as an MLS game, and their idea of the quality of MLS lessens further.

Columbus Crew Fans: I am 10,000 miles away serving my country. If I were home, I would have been glued to the TV set. If I were to be home for the final, which I won't be, I would have taken leave, paid the $500 it would cost to get from North Dakota to Ohio for the weekend, just to watch my club in a cup final. I am embarrased to read that my club drew 2,100 for a cup semi-final. If it were a league match vs. DC Un!ted on the last day of the season with both teams eliminated from playoff contention...it wouldn't hurt so bad. But this hurts.

I wonder what it would have taken for someone in the Crew front office, someone with a slight bit of creative genius, to say to US Soccer..."we can put 10 times as many fans in the seats should we hold the game on Sept. 11, on a night when there seems to be little local soccer action going on, and we offer our successful "buck-a-brat" night."

And when they make the announcements over the PA that tickets are on sale for the Open Cup Semi-Final, why do the average folk not care? Why only "hardcore lunatics?"

I guess there are a lot of unanswered questions about last night's match. I am ecstatic that my club is in a cup final, as I'm sure you all are. I even had a celebratory PEPSI (cheap plug for Crew sponsor) at 8:30 in the morning here, 10 minutes after I heard the result. But as I go to bed now tonight, I still feel a bit embarrased to be a Crew fan. It shouldn't be that way.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Pelusa as well as the next guy, zip.

I just find it ironic that somebody could complain about McBride not looking particularly interested last night (and actually it appeared to me that he was playing a withdrawn forward or even an attacking midfield) while at the same time sticking out his chin and daring someone to say something mean about Perez, who has turned disappearing into an art form from time to time this year.

He hasn't spent all that time on the bench because Andrulis suddenly doesn't like South Americans. It's been because he really hasn't gotten it in gear.

3. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    What would it take to get business-card-sized paper handouts to distribute to everyone who walks through the gate at the season finale/home playoffs advertising the Open Cup Final and its signifcance to the club and the city??

4. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken. I think that, and you can correct me if i'm wrong because i'm not certain, but Perez got about three or four games this season at a full 90 and then he sat, while public opinion on him soured quickly. In my opinion that was a rush to judgment and that he didnt get enough time to play out of his funk. We;ve certainly seen many members of this team play through a down period, Mr. McBride especially. Though let me just add that I realize that sometimes we do not have the time to let people come back to form, and that we have to make decision based on the now, which is why Martino got in the starting eleven. As we know Martino played fabulously. So maybe I am just upset with the prevailing attitude this year, that was in large part unsubstantiated, that Kyle and Pelusa could not play together. In my calculation Perez is far to important a player to get as few minutes as he's been getting.

5. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    here's my opinion on the tickets:

If they can make the Richmond game a special game, why couldn't they of made the KC one a special as well? They are both open cup matches, why not use D for last night's match instead of the first playoff game.

Nowhere in your season ticket package does it say that D will be used for this, it's only tradition that dictates that.

What are most people more likely to buy, the semifinal of the open cup, or the first playoff match? Clearly the first playoff match, therefore, why not make people pay for the playoff, and not the semi final?

Just my take.

6. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    When I snuck over to England in the springtime, I ordered tickets for Fulham v Spurs at Craven Cottage through a ticket agent. When I got to my hotel, they were dropped off at the front desk for me. They came in a BOOK, and you tore the ticket out for the match you were going to. I then gave the book back to the front desk, and the agency returned to pick it up the Monday after the match.

What surprised me was that the book contained all the home league matches (labeled A-R), plus about 20 other tickets (like S-GG or something), which were used for various other unmarked matches (which would have been friendlies, FA Cup, and Worthington Cup to my knowledge). There were far more special tickets in the book than there needed to be. What the Crew should do from here on out is throw in the "special" matches (friendly, open cup, playoffs) with the season tickets at the beginning of the season. If there wind up being too many tickets, no harm done.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, where the hell was McBride? Playing back, back, way back...

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading this post, wasn't the OC final in Columbus on a tuesday night??

9. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    you know what else should've been done?

Cut back parking prices for the event.

10. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Quick question...did the Crew last night wear grey uniforms with black socks...or was it something in the lights at Crew Stadium that gave that effect???!?!?!?

Even comparing the black shorts of the ref made the kits look like grey ones...

11. buck rogers

buck rogers New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Congrats Crew - take LA apart - Fitness won it for you last nite & IMO Meola is DONE. Too bad about the attendance, it did NOT show too well on the tube but even the FSW A League games look like that due to them shooting toward the "visitor" stands.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: -

Right. Go for living flag and get a voucher, for say, $2 off your ticket.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Something about the OC game not being in the original package back in Feburary/whenever when the staffers sat down to allocate tickets to games.

But that's rubbish, because the playoff game could go in the same category. Back when they allocated tickets no one knew we'd be in the playoffs.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Easier said than done. You know who owns the parking lot land, they want their $4-5 or whatever, Crew wants their parking lot money. But still, I agree. $7 time after time again is going to hurt those with small wallets.

Perhaps $7 for MLS games and $5 or $4 for everything else, friendlies, OC games, etc.

15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on an impressive comeback last night. I am really looking forward to the LA v. Crew final - your guys always play tough against our team and it should be an exciting match.

I am looking into the possibility of going to Columbus for the game. I have never seen Crew Stadium and this is a great reason to make the trip. I understand that there is a designated section of the stadium for visiting fans - is that right?

If I get back, I hope to meet some of you guys and put faces on screen names.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much only when Shitcago comes to town. If it's just one or two of you in LA gear, it probably won't matter where you sit. If it's 30 or 40, then yeah...

But there'll probably be so few people at the game, you can just go to wherever you'd like.

17. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promise?

18. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    It might help if people moved in to positions where he could pass to them. The Crew have never been good at supporting flank players, prefering to watch them get into trouble and hope they get out of it intact.

I thought Garcia made quite an impact when he came on.

19. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    The season hasdn't started for club and high school...what was the date? My kid just had hisf irst Tuesday game...school just began...My neice just had her first week of club. Not sure when the OC game was though. practice isn't usually too late to make it to CCS, but game time is same time.

20. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Pay close attention to the hints she's dropping...get them all. Leave early, and stop many times...how can she not fall in love again? Last gift is a ticket:)
    Make sure the announcer gives her a mention to top it off.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry nobody answered you on this, cause most everybody here knows the answer; I think you got caught on the bottom of the page "14th post" which gets overlooked sometimes.

Anyway, yes indeed, those were gray unis. That is our "third" shirt, although adidas has not officially "released" it (whatever that means) and so they don't wear them in MLS games yet.

They've worn it in all the Open Cup matches, but noplace else, although Presthus wore it a couple times in the goal.

It's of course the 2002 adidas WC style, with the mesh sides. The underlayer is white.

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More or less true, but I would add that it isn't "public opinion" that got his ass nailed to the bench. It was something the coaches saw.

Quite possible. It's certainly true that he came on as a sub a few times and showed well but found himself back on the bench next game out.

Well, with all due respect, that's the way it is with proven guys. And everybody around here can get down on him all they want, but the bottom line to me is that apparently Bruce Arena thinks he is the best American front line player.

The Crew cogniscenti wanting him benched in favor of Edson Buddle just strikes me as a little flakey. All our fans need to get off this "flavor of the month" thing we've got going. Having a good game, or even a good month, does not make you Romario.

That being said, it is also fair to say, as you do, that a bad game or a bad month does not make you Rob Smith either.

I would reject this as well, and agree that Perez needs to see the field some more, if nothing else than because, if he can't do the job then he has to be cut and the resources applied elsewhere.

I think we saw, at least in part, a glimmer of an answer to the Crew's problems last night:

We've been concerned about which four defenders and which four midfielders and which two forwards should be on the field.

What we did last night was put our 11 most EFFECTIVE players on teh pitch and let them have a go.

So you've even got Dante out there, a whole raft of attackers kicking down the fukkin door. It was great. I doubt Greg has that kind of balls, but I myself would happily start BMB, Cunny, Dante, West, Edson, Pelusa, Martino, Mais, and let them have at it.

23. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Thanks Bill for the answer...I thought it might be a 3rd strip...

24. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So, you propose a 4-3-3? Yeah, last night was amazing in terms of individual attacking talent on the field, but I still smacked my forehead everytime I saw kickball up to the forwards. If you watched KC, they at least tried to bring it through the midfield, and feed runs ON THE GROUND with through balls. Fabbro did well at this against us. Can a 4-3-3 cute the following:

We still have yet to get any sort of ground game going for us that appears threatening. From what I've seen this season (and past seasons, as well), is that we love to chip it to our "speedy" players up top. From there they trap it, typically at the 18...try to make a dish to a fellow player 3 feet from them, and end up coughing up the ball. The only time that ever works is if someone has the balls to put it in.

Martino has those balls, Perez has those balls. But for our forwards, who aren't getting the type of service they need, aren't streaking towards goal looking for a ground through ball anymore.

They're too set in the prayer ball that the trap and hopefully juke 5 players to go one on one with a keeper.

Am I wrong?

25. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Congrats to you on an unbelievable come back.

As much as it hurt to watch it, your team never gave up and Buddle was just incredible.

Good luck and hope you win the final.