Crew waive three

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MFRONE, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    The Wrong Answer should've been his nickname. Oh well.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Diego Walsh the Crew's worst first round pick ever? Nee drafted him with the seventh overall pick in 2003, and managed to unload him on KC for a second rounder which turned into Dominic Mediate. RSL gave KC a late 2007 supplemental pick for him last November. Now he's just done.

Here's a question to cheer your day:

How many players drafted by Columbus in the 2003, 2004 AND 2005 Superdrafts are on the team right now?

Answer: None

3. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    2: Chad Marshall and Knox Cameron

4. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a NCR note, local kid Chris Leitch was waived as well (although trying out with Bradley, his former coach)...

I'm kinda sorry to see Testo go. It seemed like the one time he started looking really dangerous and was going to turn into something, he also got injured (vs DC). He was also good at marking Chris Klein out of games where in the past he's hurt us. Still, results during his tenure - even if he was played way out of position, were poor at best so oh well...

Herdsman... Well, I'm sure everyone and their vegitative friends saw this one coming.

Sutton was probably on the bubble of being a little too old to be considered fresh but not having enough experience to really push as a starter. Maybe a couple years in the lower division might be best for him to get him some experience and wear and tear.

5. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I still think Testo will catch on somewhere and be a pretty good LM. I think Grouchy got it right about Sutton, two years in the league and he just never really challenged for a starting spot. I do wondar on the other hand where he would be if a certain coach had given him opportunities his rookie year. There's talent there, it might just have to come out in the USL.

So the important thing is there is a waiver draft Friday.

I wouldn't mind Sigi taking a look at Robert Scarlett or Aldofo Gregorio.

6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mean to leave 2005 in there. Very sad.

OK, then who is the last draft choice still on the team from bbefore the Marshall/Cameron draft?

No peeking.

And didn't Sutton score a bunch of goals in reserve games last year? Or am I thinking of someone else?

7. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Marshall was drafted in 2004/Cameron in 2005

So who's left from before 2004 Busch, Martino(2002), Buddle, Oughton(2001)

A certain person didn't draft Buddle/Oughton, but you didn't qualify the question.

Also if adding the 2005 Supplemental draft, Vasquez and Gaudette are still around as well.

Sutton had 9 goals in the Reserve League last year

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I didn't qualify it. Maybe I should have: "How many players did the last guy draft that are still on the team" which would leave Martino, Busch, Marshall and Cameron.

Although IIRC (I leave looking things up to other people) wasn't Cameron a suppplemental pick as well?

2) Nine goals seems like a lot to me.

3) Is Ryan Pore still around someplace?

9. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    that kills a series of V-Army shirts now that Sutton is gone
    TD - who will have a posse now? No Ante, no Sutton.

10. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    1)It would be Martino, Busch, Marshall, Cameron, Gaudette, Vasquez. Supplemental draft is still a draft and should count.

2)Cameron was a 4th round selection

3)Sutton was in first place in scoring in the Reserve League before a certain coach got shit canned...and he still garned only a couple minutes with the first team until Warzchya took over. (Oddly enough, Vasquez and Cameron both lead the league in assist at the same time with 4)

4)He's still with KC.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Testo must have had the worst minicamp ever. He's the only suprise out of this group to me.

Cameron was a 5th rounder, I believe.

Ryan Pore is terrible, big stats in college sure, but he just isn't very good, IMO. I remember going down to a tournament game in Bloomington and some kids travelled to watch Pore and were shirtless and had a "Pore for Hermann!" written on their chests. They travelled all that way to see poor play "The Invisable Man" for 90 minutes.

12. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing stands out to me. Of the released players, we got rid of 2 senior roster players and only 1 development roster player. Is Knox or somebody getting bumped up to the senior roster?

One other useful tidbit out of the article that I don't think any (or very many) people realized was that Herdsman was out of contract. I remember wondering how long of a contract he had signed at one point, but I never thought of it further than that. I guess that is our way of getting rid of Mr. Fragile.

If Testo lands someplace else, then at least we should get some kind of draft pick for him. I'm a bit disappointed that Sutton wasn't able to elevate his game enough to get a good crack at staying on the team. At least he got a nice trip to Cyprus as his parting gift. I bet he's getting shitfaced in Ayia Napa's (sp?) club scene until the flight out of there tomorrow.

13. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe Cameron was the teams fifth pick then? I have no idea what I was thinking. Oh well.

15. pericles

pericles Member

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    At least the mention of GA no longer makes me physically ill.

I was one calling for total rebuilding of the team. Now that it has happened, I am a bit uncomfortable with all the new faces. But comfortability was one of the problems last year, the comfort level was way too high for some players.

Testo had to have a great preseason. With the addition of new experienced players, existing players were shifting positions. Then there was the influx of rookies. Sigi evaluates not only on the on field ability but the effect you have on cap, slots , etc. So if you're marginally better than a rookie, you're gone.

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    "Junk Shot" is officially gone. 'Tis a shame.

17. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe Captain Herdsy is gone. A shame, really. He brought so much experience to our back line and his leadership by example will really be missed.

I hope Leitch catches on somewhere. I was sad to see him go a couple years back as I thought he had the potential to be a real player. Hejduk just had his spot locked down. A 28 game starter for the Metros and he's waived, but hey, if Herdsy can get waived, no one is safe when roster cut down day comes.

18. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    how many minutes did he have for columbus?

and ya know, maybe losing his leadership could be a good thing. we might not have so many players following his lead to the IR this year.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    C'mon Wilson, Herdsy was always worth more than just the measure of his minutes.

20. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I once saw Herdsman at a BW3. I tripped over his IV stand. Greatest day of my life.

21. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    shame about Sutton - I thought he had potential, but as someone else aluded too you've only got so long to transform it into first team consistency.

As for Testo, I didn't ever like him on the left and we didn't see enough of him in his proper position to pass judgement.

Herdsman was a no-brainer. It's a joke he was still there to be waived in all honesty.

22. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    It really didn't matter who GA drafted he would have rotted on the bench or been mishandled anyway. Better for Rolfe and Segares that they were overlooked.

Sorry to say but unless you were an undeniable talent like Chad, KM, or Danny you didn't stand a chance of seeing regular field time or otherwise receiving the opportunity to develop. With the ones who were relegated to bench warmers and bag carriers they were left on their own to develop or put in the hands of older teammates.

I gotta admit the further I get away from the GA administration and have seen what Robert did with the team and have watched Sigi at work the more assuredly I can say that GA just straight-up sucked as a MLS coach.

23. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    1142 minutes over 2 seasons. so, roughly tweleve and a half games.

24. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Five years ago; same stuff being said about Pore. Oh' and Indiana does a hell of a good job making a lot of players look invisiable. Your talking about the National Championship side with O'Rourke, Zayner, and Moor in there.

Hard to see how he'll get time this year with Wolff, Johnson, and Sealy in front of him. When the WC rolls around he should get some good minutes and I hope he does well.