Post-match: Crew vs. TFC, 3/3, Match 1

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Mar 3, 2018.

1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    3 points to start the season. Two beautiful goals and some help from the goalposts. Some new faces did well. There was beautiful passing. Also, shoutout to Lalas Abubakar for stepping up. A shutout!

TRUJDUB, Jaybir, chr1st and 1 other person repped this.
  2. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Hey we beat “The Best Team in MLS History” (tm) (c)

Good start!

TRUJDUB, Jaybir, chr1st and 1 other person repped this.
  3. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Road win.
    Win against defending champs.
    Season Opener win.

3 points to us.

TRUJDUB, Jaybir and Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Party in Austin tonight.

TRUJDUB, Jaybir, chr1st and 2 others repped this.
  5. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top of the table! Woooo!

Some frankly infuriating inability to pass the ball to someone not wearing red in the second half, but a good win for the guys!

TRUJDUB repped this.
  6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear we did well.

I'm not giving MLS any support until they stay.

7. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    We looked like the better team for all but 10min. Two nice goals, lots of hustle. I really liked how we attacked the ball on defense. Need to get the lapses of thought fixed with some of those lazy passes. Man of match was the TFC woodwork

8. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A clean sheet, on the road, 3 points against the defending champions who knocked us out of the playoffs. Mensah and Abubakar were solid in the back. Zardes looks like he will fit in well. Too many turnovers, but overall a nice start to the season.

TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would make a joke about prima facie duty, but I will stuff it. Continue on as you are.

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep emailing the MLS front office reminding them I'm a loyal consumer of their product if they keep the team, and they dutifuly respond.

And ******** Toronto.

chr1st and Draghignazzo repped this.
  11. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when I said lose by two, of course i meant TFC lose by two

12. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grouuuuuuucccchhhhyyy point MFers!

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm the same. I saw the game was at 1 pm today, but i didnt care, went out and got lunch with the wife instead. Honestly, even knowing the score now, i dont think I'd go back and change my decision. I have it recorded, dont think i can watch and enjoy it though. This fvcking sucks :(

American Brummie repped this.
  14. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All your trillium belongs to us.

Bill Archer and redi44crew repped this.
  15. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's better to be lucky than good, but best to be lucky and good. We were definitely both. I'd say a better team would punish our turnovers, but TFC is the reigning champs.

Glad to get the 3 points. Hopefully we see a full stadium next week for another win.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Markus is doing a countdown to the home opener.

Also, I forgot to mention in the PBP thread that Markus was doing the Save The Crew chant throughout bits of the game. And when Zack or our D would save/clear the ball, then he would say “they saved Crew.”

ibrew, TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  17. ColumbusOwl

ColumbusOwl Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Apr 17, 2017
    Best played opening match in recent memory. The newcomers played solid and the defense especially Abubakar were stout and active. The buildup leading to Santos’s pass to Zardes for the second goal was sublime. Martinez will be having fans and foes alike pulling out their hair because he plays borderline reckless. Love the work rate of this team. Just need to cut down on the giveaways.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Precourt
    and Garber....

19. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brummie and Kyle, I love you guys...don't know you but love your posts on here. BUT, this is still our team. Until anything official is declared this is our mother ********on team. Don't lose out on the joy of a season because our ass wipe of an owner thinks this team is heading to Austin

davidc707, Pauncho, kgilbert78 and 10 others repped this.
  20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate this post.

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As do I, but I just don't see the optimistic signs that everyone else seems to. End of the day, Precourt still owns the team, and Precourt has been scheming to move since 2013. After 5 years, dude finally has his chance. Even if it's not ideal, he'll find a way to make it work. I think the chances that the team moves are 90% or above. He has the backing of the other owners, and the league. I just don't see a realistic chance this ends well.

I posted earlier that I had the game recorded. I came home this afternoon, saw the score, but felt nothing. I deleted the recording, and I haven't thought about it again since. I'll still be around, but I just don't think I can watch this year. I thought I might go to a couple games as well, but I can't even bring myself to watch on TV, I don't know how I could do it in person. It's a real bummer. I might go for the *sharp inhale of breath* final game v Minnesota, but that will probably be it.

Until Precourt is out, I can't come back. Even then, like others have said, I've turned on MLS management at this point. Really hard to support this league monetarily. Precourt said he ain't selling. This could be true, but we all know everyone has their price. I fear though that whatever that price is, CP or whoever from Columbus ain't paying it. I'would absolutely love to be proven wrong, but all reasonable evidence points to relocation. Modell Law is completely untested, and I have zero faith is politicians who don't give two shits about soccer. If this were an NFL team, maybe. Soccer, even more specifically MLS, yeah right.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great result. Aside from the slew of horrid turnovers (Afful, Steffen, Mensah, & Artur) we were really good.

They really did not generate much that was not a result of a TO in our own third.

Thought Abubakar was fantastic. Valenzuela very good. Pipa was magnificent.

The second goal was fantastic. Santos looks a lot more comfortable. Impressed with the energy & hustle all game.

I was not a fan of the Ola/Zardes deal, but that could work out well for us. Aside from touch, and maybe positional awareness, Zardes is equal to or better than Ola in: speed, strength, aerial ability, and work rate.

We should get stronger as Grella, Williams, Sauro, & Hansen return. And hopefully we sign another playervwith all the Garber bucks.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was only able to see the second half since we were without power yesterday, but obviously I'm thrilled with the win.

Toronto played midweek, sure, but the result really never seemed in doubt after Zardes scored.

If Lalas can step up consistently like he did yesterday and save us from another season of clumsy late Josh Williams challenges and poor decisions in the back we're gonna be a very dangerous team.

Finally, Zardes is gonna be fantastic here. I don't miss Ola at all....

Robbiegoal and TRUJDUB repped this.
  24. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There are quite a few of us that feel so jilted, did not purchase season tickets and its just not the same.

25. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised Gregg didn't sub Martinez off. Kid looks like he needs to get his emotions under control a bit better. Martinez would have been my first sub.