Post-match: Crew v Montreal, Matchday 18

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jun 24, 2017.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well. Berhalter's subs came up trumps tonight. A much needed victory.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see us dominate late for a change.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  3. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where the hell has that team been all year?...

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  4. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We played the 10th place team at home and we're fortunate at least twice that they blew gol opportunities we gave them

porchlight and Aaron d repped this.
  5. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    $160 for a Zac Steffen Orange/Red jersery and it doesn't even have a star ⭐️ on the crest

Smh

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Where can @Kyle Crew and I meet to celebrate Kekuta Manneh?

7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad he's had one good stretch of three mins bro. How those other 5 games work out?

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal sucks. Glad to see we ran up the score.

porchlight and TRUJDUB repped this.
  9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to be that guy, but.....

We had 4 shots on goal all game, scored 4 goals. This was that one game a year where we made up for all the misses so far.

Again, hate to be that guy, but... other than the goals, the team looked inept, and Montreal looked just as likely to score. It wasn't a convincing performance.

Off the field, the nordecke was pitiful until the second and third goals. So many people there that didnt give a fvck and knew zero chants. Weren't even paying attention.

And the people behind my wife and i kept talking about how meram was garbage. Not mensah. Not finlay. Not basically anyone else on the team. Our worst player is meram. After 40 mins of this, i turned around and asked if they'd ever seen finlay play, and that at the moment he couldn't even make a fvcking middle school team, not to mention the likes of meram. I said my piece and ignored them the rest of the game, despite them constantly trying to bait us by talking shit the entire rest of the game.

On top of that, i tried to buy half price beer before the game. Went to a stand that only sold bud light, however that bud light was full price only for some reason. Ok, fvck you too. Right before kickoff, wife wanted beer so went to get some. 20 mins later, she came back empty handed. Hadn't even made it halfway through the line.

Despite the 4-1 win, it was a terrible game the first 60 mins. Last 30 had goals, but it was dressing up a turd at its finest. Somehow, this was the least fun at a crew game I've ever had, and that makes me terribly sad.

10. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    Jekyll and Hyde team this year.

Still we have to STOP lazy turnovers in our half and when they do happen (and they will, part of the game) we have to be able to transition to defense quicker. Better teams will (continue) to burn us.

We need Manneh to play well for a couple reasons. 1) Help the team win games. 2) Clubs were interested in him before his move to Cbus so a good return on investment isnt bad especially when that return wont happen on "ankles broken Mensah"

11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also hate to be that guy, but the whole "half price until the 15 minute mark" thing was a letdown. The lines were long as expected. And the brat I had was the worst I've ever had at the stadium. Boiled, cold; just nasty. Didn't even finish it.
    Nice to hold a lead and earn 3 points though.

Robbo Crewfan and Kyle Crew repped this.
  12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't disagree with this more. It felt like Montreal only had attacking possession in our half six or seven times the entire match. A couple of which were direct results of us handing the ball away unnecessarily. While we had the ball the whole time. That's what it felt like to me, anyway.

At NO time, did I truly feel threatened. Even the chances they did get always seemed to be against the run of play.

Now, that said -- don't think I'm confident that we've turned the corner. We deserved this win, but 4-3 would have been a much more appropriate final score. Steffen saved our butts a couple times, and we still can't stop looking stupid in our own end. Their goal came from a direct giveaway at midfield from Pipa, who had an outstanding game otherwise. Mensah continues to look clueless -- the only guy who's ever made me think Tony Sanneh might be an upgrade to our roster. If our defense doesn't clean up its act, we're going nowhere.

Great to see Manneh have some success off the bench, finally. A goal inside 30 seconds, and a dynamite cross to Kamara for his goal (which was filthy). Need more of that. I'm wondering which one of Manneh and Meram is better suited to switch to the right side so we can get Finlay off the field.

foozer and Draghignazzo repped this.
  13. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Manneh is right footed . We need a left footed attacking DP to replace Finlay for starts

porchlight repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Let's not bicker and argue about 'oo killed 'oo. This is supposed to be a happy occasion"

Only Crew Nation could turn a win with this score into a disastrous loss....

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't a disastrous loss. The 4-1 score line flattered us. Deflected free kick, keystone cops defending on the second (great pass by pipa though), good third goal, and garbage time goal at the end.

Montreal had chances, and we looked flat and unable to penetrate for long stretches. If you wanna see a real 4 goal result, check out Chicago's 4-0 win over orlando. They killed them.

I don't think any point i made there in unfair, do you?

The rest was me benching about dumbies in the nordecke that think meram is worse than mensah (they were serious) and how the crew are running the one promotion a year anyone gives a fvck about extremely poorly.

Again, anything there unfair?

16. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yep x 199..Mensah continues to look like he is USL material at best. He will take down this team all by himself.

American Brummie repped this.
  17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I was kind of hoping Mensah would have to be subbed out after his head to head with Fisher. He was lucky to not be carded for it too.

Gregg will probably use the final score as justification to not make any changes for next week but let's say I'm not optimistic about Mensah shutting down Almiron, Martinez, and company.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm re-watching some of the game this morning, and I'm laughing my ass off at a couple of things.

First off, I thought Manneh's goal was just lucky and the ball fell perfectly for him after a defensive whiff. I thought it just deflected off of Ola and landed in Kekuta's wheelhouse. Turns out, that was actually a pretty slick backheel from OK to set it up for him. Deserved assist.

And on Pipa's second goal, Jahn got an assist, just moments after coming on. Jahn, after Manneh paid immediate dividends. I jokingly said to the people around me, "Hell -- we should put Stuver in. He might get an assist off of a goal kick." So I was amused when I checked this morning and found out that Steffen was credited with a secondary assist on the fourth goal.

We've still got a long way to go, but regardless of Kyle Crew's dissertation, I thought last night was quite fun. Goals, goalkeeping, win, great weather -- I enjoyed it.

19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    our fourth goal doesn't count because it was in "garbage time"?

But seriously we give our defense a hard time mostly for bad passes and giving up goals from losing possession but last night Montreal really shot themselves in the foot

20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way... Shoutout to Federico Higuaín. I know people on this board like to complain about him from time to time, because he turns the ball over sometimes or because he isn't the most fleet of foot. But if you ever need an example of what he brings to this team, tonight was it. Two goals, and pretty much created Manneh's goal with a tremendous piece of juggling followed by a terrific pass that hit him in stride. The only reason he didn't get an assist for it is because Manneh lost it before getting it back.

The results have been frustrating, but because of that, people haven't really noticed that he's also got five goals in four games.

djtrinidad, redi44crew, ZipSix and 7 others repped this.
  21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didnt say it didnt count. I thought the score flattered us.

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, pipa has been very good. His set up for the second goal was fantastic. Didnt notice it live, did this morning though.

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great win. Much needed. 4-1 did flatter us some. And we gave up another goal off a siily TO in our end. It could have been two of those, easy. We make a lot of high risk passes on our own third (or 18) that don't yield attacking oppotunities. High risk, no reward, and no risk to the other team for their pressure. Have to fix that. This is year 4.

Still, it was a beautiful night.

24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the immediate term, with Meram and Manneh on this roster, what we need is for both of them to be on the pitch at the same time. Berhalter knew that Manneh was a left-sided player when he traded for him. He knew, as well, that we already had on the roster one of the league's top left-sided attacking midfielders. One of these guys needs to switch to the right side or one of them needs to be traded, because I don't see either one being satisfied with the role of occasional super-sub.

Anyway, the win at home in front of a decent crowd was great. I just wish I had more confidence in the Crew's ability to sustain this kind of performance. Next weekend's match at home against the team right below us (and with a game in hand) in the standings is a must win.

hangthadj repped this.
  25. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States