Post-match: Crew v DC, Match 32

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Sep 30, 2017.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re in. Courtesy of DC United.

Who had the odds on Josh Williams scoring back to back weeks?

2. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mr_burns_excellent.jpg

CrewV Man repped this.
  3. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really enjoyable when you go to the game, you never trail, you put pressure on for most of the game, and you clinch a playoff berth. Great evening!

CrewV Man and redi44crew repped this.
  4. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a pretty crazy season, full of frustration and fear that we did not have what it takes to make it to the playoffs. Tonight we clinched a spot in the playoffs. Let's celebrate this milestone. Cheers to our players and management for this accomplishment. Great weather, a clean sheet, and a fun night at Mapfre Stadium.

TRUJDUB, CrewV Man, Tobias C and 4 others repped this.
  5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rest of the league was as good for us as I think it can get. NYRB and Montreal fell, giving us a solid positioning on fifth. And Chicago and Atlanta tied, meaning we could theoretically overtake one or the other if they slump the last two games.

WhiteHartShame repped this.
  6. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    For three weeks, we can relax. For that I am grateful. Last night was so much fun. To clinch and defeat our rivals was so very sweet. Thank you Crew.

CrewV Man and WhiteHartShame repped this.
  7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good win. Great first 20 minutes had more than 1 goal in it. Aside from a header late in the first half, DC never threatened.

Some (sadly expected) classlessness from the North End on Clark, other than that, a great night.

Radio said 12 home wins is a club record. Unbeaten in 8 is the longest run since 2010.

Disagree on the relaxation. We need to continue the momemtum & try to climb to 4th. Heck, 2nd is still possible, however unlikely.
    Team; Points, Wins, Games left
    1. TFC: 65; 19, 2: clinched SS
    2. NYC: 56; 16, 2: @NE, Crew.
    3. ATL: 53; 15, 3: Min, @nyrb, Tor.
    4. CHI: 52; 15, 2: Phil, @Hou.
    5. Crew: 50; 15, 2: @Orl, @NYC.
    6. NYRB: 43; 12, 3: Van, ATL, @DC.

If the Revs beat City at home, we can at least catch them with two wins. We win any sort of tie on 56 pts with City, ATL, or the Fire.

8. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve said yes and a Grouchy point.

9. ColumbusOwl

ColumbusOwl Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Apr 17, 2017
    Meram with an MLS goal of the week and possibly a Crew goal of the year. There were so many awesome things about the goal such as Artur's pass, Gimenez's dummy and Meram's indefensible laser shot in the far post under the cross bar.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to see the Meathook in back to back matches. Whenever you see Meram with the ball on his right foot in that spot, you EXPECT to see a goal.

kgilbert78, ibrew and Tobias C repped this.
  11. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were some minutes during that game where we looked like a pretty good soccer team: good movement, accurate passing, long possessions, chances created. Still had some bad turnovers at other times, but at least most of them were in the attacking half.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Only 10 posts in the post game thread, after clinching a spot in the playoffs. You guys are acting like 55% of the teams in the league make the playoffs or something. Come on! Celebrate!!!

At the very least any victory over DC United deserves more than 10 posts.

Aaron d repped this.
  13. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Eleven!

redi44crew and hangthadj repped this.
  14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Twelve!

It was a solid win over a bad team. The announcers made it sound like DC was in preseason 2018 mode, implying Olsen returns. I'd be surprised if that happened.

It would be nice to have a home playoff game but that's still unlikely at this point.

hangthadj repped this.
  15. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked real good. But DC is real bad.

Loved the Meram Meathook. Attendance was solid as well. Metro playoff fever baby!

16. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Eight consecutive games without a loss - this could be the demise of this group. It's getting increasingly hard to bitch. We keep winning like this and I suppose they'll need to shut this down for inactivity.

Other than last year's cluster, GG's teams seem to peak at the right time. I believe some of that has been due to the time required for new players to adjust to his system and conditioning. I like the progress this team has made gelling as a unit.

Forget the goals - I'm most impressed with Josh's play at CB. We needed him to step up in the worst way - and he has.

I still believe Pedro is going to be fantastic for us, but he needs time adjusting to brutality of the MLS. He'll figure it out.

ZS is looking more comfortable to me as well. So important for defenses to have some time playing together. I do think Jonathan is feeling more comfortable as well.

Another nominee for most improved is Hector! But he probably loses out to Abu. Sorry that he didn't get the start given his progress and over the top effort, but Artur desperately needs minutes and has a higher ceiling I believe.

Intense crowd I thought - playoffs should be really fun! Actually impressive to get that many people during a Buckeye football game. Heck, I bet the Pope would be lucky to draw 20k or so in that time slot here.

17. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance will never make sense to me. We can sell/distribute 17k tickets during the same time of a OSU football game when you'd think there would be like 5k that would show up. Then struggle a lot worse in March and April when nothing is going on. I guess people hate cold weather more than they like OSU football.

18. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's more that 90% of our fanbase procrastinates. Why go now, when you could go later. Next thing you know, there's only a couple games left. (I myself, am very guilty of this now)

Tobias C repped this.