Crew to Austin POLL

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by C-Bus20, Feb 19, 2018.

?

If the Columbus Crew are moved to Austin......

1. I still have confidence the league has the fans best interests

2. I have less confidence the league has the fans best interests

3. I am done with MLS

4. Other (Please explain below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Share some thoughts on how you will view MLS if they allow a league original to be moved. Do you care, not care, make you feel less secure about your current clubs future? Any and all opinions are appreciated.

2. golers

golers Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Feb 19, 2018
    I would be done with MLS

I enjoy soccer but the biggest reason I follow MLS is because they sold me the idea that my support would be a true connection between Club and Community. In a landscape that sees football, baseball, hockey teams etc. being relocated all over the place the MLS would be different.

But the league refusing to institute promotion and relegation, having an unfair tier system, and the potential relocation of the leagues #1 founding member (and my home team) have taken the joy out of it for me.

#SaveTheCrew but at this point it feels like trying to save a marriage after infidelity. The old love just isn't there.

shoplifter and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  3. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    23 years of season tickets with the Crew has taught me that being a fan of a local team you can go to see and experience, and discuss with many local fans, is a different, and better, experience than being a faraway TV fan. If the league takes that away from me, why would I be a faraway TV fan of an inferior product which betrayed me as a fan?
    If the Crew leaves, I will become a eurosnob, and no apologies.

shoplifter and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  4. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ok, I have mentioned to the Save the Crew people repeatedly that people in Austin, could care less about soccer and that the MLS2ATX is the only a very small group of idiots. Being from that area, people in Austin only care about live music and football. It is very fustrating trying to support the crew when they keep focusing on these idiots in Austin! AUSTIN WILL NEVER HAVE AN MLS TEAM!

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is run by dirtbags & liars. I barely like it now with my hometown team being the #1 member.

If the Crew leave, I am done with MLS & USSF. And I have bought tickets to 3 Men's & 2 Women's World Cups & being going to matches since 1996.

"username" and shoplifter repped this.
  6. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    If you don't think the team should leave Columbus, that's fine. But can you please get your facts straight? I live here in Austin. I've talked to tons of soccer fans here. We are all excited about getting an MLS team. Austin soccer fans are not posting much on BigSoccer for a simple reason. We are trying not to gloat about it. And now you are using that against us.

7. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you really want a team in Austin, you should get your "tons" of soccer fans to speak up. All my connections in Austin are hearing no support for an MLS team there.

"username" repped this.
  8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    My views of MLS are summed up by my sig. It is a shame because of single-entity that supporting the league is a thing as opposed to supporting your team.

shoplifter repped this.
  9. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    So you think Austin soccer fans should gloat about it here on BigSoccer? Is that what you really want us to do? If we did that Columbus fans would be furious.

10. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Or you could try to get a team like all other expansion teams have.

El Naranja and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  11. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gloating isn't necessary, but getting your friends, neighbors, local business owners, and elected officials excited about it wouldn't hurt.
    Maybe since I posted last, things are happening. I was in Hill Country this weekend and saw a somewhat positive story on an Austin TV station about the possible move to The Domain that didn't even mention "former toxic waste dump."

12. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    They are excited about it. There has been plenty of local media coverage. People in Austin are talking about it all the time. But how are those people supposed to express their excitement here on BigSoccer without appearing as though they are gloating? That's my point. Any expression of excitement would be met by wrath. "How dare you steal our team!"

13. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Given what I have seen on TV the Crew stadium has been less that half full for their home matches and that says that it might be good to move the crew to Austin or even another city where the fans actually show up regardless of weather or perceived importance of any given match.

Of course the same can be said for a number of MLS teams that seem to struggle to get even half their seats occupied for matches that are not at an ideal time, in ideal weather and against an interesting/important opponent.

The Crew fans have not, it seems, showed the support that makes Columbus look like an attractive target to people that like to make some profit from their investment. This is, after all, about making a bit of money from the play if at all possible.

DaveBrett and TheEmperor14 repped this.
  15. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    You are exactly backwards here. A number of fans will never give money to an owner that is sabotaging the market. He has skinned them, they are burned and they are not likely to pay for that privilege.

telnettech, Kejsare and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.