Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groundd

Groundd Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Last night he said the case would end soon.

2. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think Precourt said "We'll address that soon." I don't think the message was that the lawsuit was going away soon.

The lawsuit is a very interesting point now. Presumably Chase would refuse to make the loan to PSV unless the lawsuit was concluded, UNLESS MLS as a whole signs off as a guarantor. MLS is worth enough money that you'd think Chase could still be confident in getting their money back even if the Ohio lawsuit somehow tanks the move. But, PSV itself seems incapable of surviving that. (This reminds me of parents signing onto a young adult kid's first car loan.)

So, does groundbreaking occur prior to a resolution of the lawsuit? Or, does Chase require a conclusion of the course case before signing off on the move? If the latter, it will provide important motivation (beyond court costs and discovery) for PSV not leave in the middle of the night.

3. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precums comments in the statesman today talk about relocating a club and not just MLS in Austin. Seems as though the thought of them removing works like “relocate” and “crew” in the event he is granted expansion had nothing to it.

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Letting your bank know you are shopping and will make a change is certainly not an idle threat, especially if you have any other accounts, like checking, credit cards, with them. You also have notes put into your file and if they think you are looking they may offer better benefits/rates on the other products you can move.

Overreaction? Yes.

5. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
  6. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    #24706 jack sticker, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2018
    [MOD EDIT: Out of line]

7. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I just rewatched the clip. He just says "We'll address that all in the very near future." This is clearly how he was coached to respond to and deflect any Crew-related questions by his PR professionals.

I believe this second tweet stating that the lawsuit will END is actually a misquote from the clip linked above:

ADDRESS and "end the lawsuit" are two very different things.

Now I need a shower.

chr1st, Ch(Elsey), Minnman and 2 others repped this.
  8. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is Precourt. It was not done humanely.

9. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    Suttle made that comment in the City Council session last Thursday. Deadline 14, iirc.

10. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
  11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24711 TKyle, Aug 16, 2018
    I wouldn't go there.
    Take the high road. We're better than that.
    Plus, it can give ammo to the other side.

Edit: I am less inclined to decry trolling Queso McQuesoface's page.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Lenovo is pretty good. Toshiba had a disastrous period. I think most of it depends on your IT department, and not on the HW. Plus, Windows makes everything randomly unstable.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  13. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Do I strike you as a guy that takes the high road?

14. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I have a HP laptop which gets daily use that has worked pretty flawlessly for 6 years now.
    (Hopefully I haven't just jinxed it...)

RafaLarios repped this.
  15. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24715 catfish9, Aug 16, 2018
    His poor kids. The legacy he is leaving them and the stigma they will have to live with the rest of their lives. It's well documented for all of history.

jayd8888 and TKyle repped this.
  16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Exactly, because to refinance your mortgage the old loan has to be paid off in full by the new one, so Chase gets all it's money back plus all the interest you've already paid them. There is no leverage here.

hangthadj repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24717 kgilbert78, Aug 16, 2018
    That is inappropriate.

18. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precourt's comments on relocation and getting things addressed soon I don't put much stock in. He hardly ever speaks and when he does 90% of it is gibberish or what his PR team told him to say.

What I think is interesting is that all the legal documents talk about an MLS Club, not the crew and Suttle indicated that with the ACC deal that the lawsuit would be resolved shortly. While Precourt might just be a spoiled manchild, Suttle is a master sleazeball manipulator who has built a career crafting these sort of deals. Could he have been lying? Sure. But I would actually put money on the idea that they think they have some theoretical solution.

The logic for that goes beyond Suttle's words and the wording in the ACC Contract to the deal with Chase. MLS could have signed on as a 100% guarantor for the Austin loan but that would require the BoG and the MLS assuming sharing all of the risk for PSV. That seems like a dangerous path, especially with the lawsuit still in play and a new MLS team in Ohio. What could have happened though is that PSV and MLS went to Chase and demonstrated something fairly concrete which would lead Chase to believe the lawsuit wouldn't be an issue and the risk was low. This might be an unofficial settlement offer or a potential terms sheet for an expansion team, or evidence of talks in Columbus. Even if the deal isnt final yet if Chase believed there was a high enough degree of certainty they might have signed off.

I saw this before where one private equity firm bought out a major portion of a REIT, which had previously performed poorly, from another while the manager that ran the REIT was restructuring the holdings. The prior owner and manager showed the new buyer they had enough deals lined up with the assets they were in the process of restructuring and new deal they were bringing onboard that the buyer felt certain that the previously assumed risk was mitigated so they went ahead with the acquisition. That deal got underwritten by a former Goldman team but still.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  19. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24719 JB-CBUS221, Aug 16, 2018
    Dude that is too far. You need to see if you can delete that message. Precourt is absolutely a scumbag but you can't just harass people.

jayd8888, RafaLarios, 2in10 and 10 others repped this.
  20. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I hate my HP.

21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Besides, his wife is already suffering daily for her choices. The queso breath alone!

TKyle, JB-CBUS221 and soccerncbus repped this.
  22. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I.m not calling you out specifically with this. But telling someone who is particularly emotional or sensitive about this whole thing to buck up, grow a pair, quit whining, etc is not going to boost their morale or "rally them." Reminders of what we have going in our favor will (or should help).
    Yes!
    This is not over. Tell everyone you know.
    WE'RE--NOT--DONE--YET!!
    Also, points for the Peter Gabriel reference.

SourCream&OnionUtd and TrueCrew repped this.
  23. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Addressing/ending the lawsuit "soon" could mean anything.

Could mean Precourt/MLS are willing to settle, i.e., expansion with local ownership.

24. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they don't get more interest...

25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche, but your actions reflect on us all.
    I suggest deleting your question of Mrs. Queso and direct your anger on Mr. Queso's page.

DAFCrew, hardhead, RafaLarios and 6 others repped this.