Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's not hard to be smarter when you have significantly more time on the ball. When I play O-40s, I look like a goddamn wizard. When I play O-30s, I very much do not.

Sure. But the talent pool is a bit...different.

In what sense?

1. Time and relative competition have a LOT to say about that.
    2. Only sometimes, and only when Abby Wambach is not withing sighting distance of the pitch.

Until very recently, this was a hallmark of both teams. And given the various rifts at various times, I'd say the women's team has been more fractious and has often succeeded in spite of itself. That and the fact that the competition is so utterly different as to render a comparison stupid.

Your poetic romanticism notwithstanding, I disagree. I find it not only utterly dull the majority of the time, but uncreative, and lacking in execution more often than it should.

Raw numbers are not particularly meaningful. And perhaps you haven't noticed, but the parity is very evident especially in this tournament. Paradoxically, that makes it more likely that a traditional power will put 4 knock-out games together, but that doesn't mean that things like Iceland drawing Argentina won't happen, or the delight that was Spain v Portugal, or the most underrated fixture so far, Peru v Denmark. Peru is going home. That's a shame! They've been eminently more interesting than anything the USWNT have done recently.

That's eliding a lot. It's also completely flushing down the memory hole all 17 other teams, who are somewhere between "meh" and "terrible".

Robbiegoal and Bill Archer repped this.
  2. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Say what you will about Hesmer, but he never held onto the ball for way too long in his championship match.

3. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what way?

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You look at market after market that ought to be collectively the bedrock of the league - DC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, Dallas - and you see struggling operations run by dolts in a league run by self righteous pricks all surviving on expansion fees and SUM money and you wonder why the hell we want to stay in it so badly for.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I stopped reading this post at the phase "In footy..."

For ********s sake...

6. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a great point. We are fighting to stay in a league that is headed to bankruptcy.

Crewmudgeon repped this.
  7. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I hate to bring this up here, but anyone else suspect Zack Steffen’s sudden minor knee injury in late June is transfer related? Berhalter says he’ll be fine in a little more than a week. When does the window open?
    I’m sure PSV will hop on any chance to recover costs for their failing operation.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is perfectly stated.

And I think this is exactly why you see people say they would be done with MLS if the Crew is moved. People that have spent 20 years spending good money and supporting an honestly sub par product. People who have spent hundreds of hours on a goddamn message board more than 10 years after message boards became a relic of the internet's past. These are people who have invested so much of their time and money building a league that is a blip on the national radar because of their love for the sport, while it remains the 5th or 6th highest priority in these owners portfolios.

gunnerfan7, Robbiegoal, russ and 12 others repped this.
  9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In about a week.... And I noted this elsewhere already.

Crew Chuck35 and crew2112 repped this.
  10. Belgrano

Belgrano Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Quiet, Bill!

You're going to discourage our local buyers!

TKyle and Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  11. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Cheering for a winner is sometimes fun....

Dan Milton repped this.
  12. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the difference in gender you dislike. That's irrelevant in sport.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped reading yours at hangthadj.

stanger repped this.
  14. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    meow, saucer of queso for table 3 :)

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  15. PSHSSoccerDog3

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen, I am the last person to tell someone what they should like, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Travelling to Ottawa and Montreal for the Quarters and Semis in 2015 was some of the most fun I’ve ever had - the US matches and the vacation component. Further, I love watching the USWNT.

As to women’s sports in general - there are many physical differences among genders, as there are within genders. However, you cannot overlook the head start, so to speak, men’s sports have had historically over women’s sports and the corresponding opportunities and funding, or lack there of.

I think you have to factor that into the lens with which you view women’s sports. Just as we all have when viewing MLS through its first 23 seasons compared with other leagues around the world.

don gagliardi repped this.
  16. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made my taxi driver take me there on the way from the airport a few years ago while Avaya was being built. In-N-Out is always right.

don gagliardi repped this.
  17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Huh.

So someone read it for you and you responded to it based on that?

west ham sandwich repped this.
  18. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel as though for years when people would tell me that MLS is garbage, I would defend it. Now i feel like a fool. This is nothing more than a less expensive risk for these guys. They don’t care about the teams, the fans or the communities in which they reside. When i started to realize and pay attention how MLS operates was when they did a blind draw for Jermaine Jones between Chicago and New England....THEY MOST LIKELY PUT NAMES IN A HAT TO DETERMINE WHERE A PLAYER WENT! At the end of the day I’ve learned and will choose to no longer support it. From the tv numbers I am not alone.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Great. I'm glad for you.

There are a number of aspects in which it's lacking, and I find it not particularly pleasant to watch the vast majority of the time because of those things. I don't need a lens for that.

20. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Relic? Who knew?

21. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Unfortunately MLS is the best we have and likely will be all we have in our lifetime. Phil and Lamar propped this league up in the early days for the love of the game. Now that we have VC owners buying into the league, the money aspect has taken priority over growing the sport. Teams that have a owner that isn't local should all be losing sleep at night. Even teams with a local owner should be losing sleep at night.

my_kids_soccer_dad, russ and TKyle repped this.
  22. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everyone on Bigsoccer's MySpace page and alt.sports.football.mls knew...

Timon19 repped this.
  23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A sentimental treasure still serving some purpose. What that purpose is, is for you (the poster) to decide.

24. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just admit it. You have a crush on Alex Morgan

TRUJDUB repped this.
  25. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, nothing like a woman dunking a ball.