Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, though apparently in this case PSV/MLS have not been directly sending over any documents to the City electronically. But I assume they can pull them from the county website much like the rest of us. But I don't practice there so I obviously don't know the specifics on that point.

2. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait...he actually said that? o_O

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm as sick of the guy as we all are, but I never thought he'd get booted as Commish, unless he was the one who decided to check out for, say, health reasons. I have to assume the owners love him. The value of their franchises keeps exploding. There are those SUM checks you mention. And when something shitty happens, it's The Don who cleans up the mess, not them. No matter that it may have been The Don who created the mess in the first place, as long as he takes care of it, and they keep seeing their investment in the league pay off, he'll be Commissioner for Life.

I also assume that a day of reckoning will come for the league. The attendance issues in several markets are real. TV ratings are poor. And the US's failure to make the WC will hurt the bottom line.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    MLS definitely is being petty, in that event. Regardless of the formal court filing procedures, the attorneys can agree to exchange briefing by email. Simple professionalism.

soundermiki repped this.
  5. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe they just didn't want it on tonight's six o'clock local news. Tomorrow morning the local sports news will be dominated by the hockey game, win or lose.

6. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please let them try to fax this and accidentally fax the blank sides of the pages

Robbiegoal, SLSHOT01 and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  7. Jonathan Lusch

Nov 13, 2017
    uknown

Calculated might be a better term than petty. Let’s say CLB is the most likely scenario they go with, but they still have to file, why not minimize the bad publicity of MLS in CLB?

However, this is just me looking at a glass half full.

Bill Archer repped this.
  8. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a bit of both. The documents are unlikely to be processed tonight, so we may not get a look at them until tomorrow, or even Monday.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly yes.

I'd post the tweet but i dont know how.

10. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we'll get lucky and the clerk will be friendly to STC. MAY-BE

11. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dispatch is finally reporting the story of a meeting and visit to sites between potential owners and MLS. Have to laugh at them calling it an exclusive when we all knew about it days afterwards.

12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's what it takes for our source to keep their anonymity, I'll take it.

ibrew, russ, Robbiegoal and 7 others repped this.
  13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    987081738630332417 is not a valid tweet id

So now, Andrew Erickson tweets the "breaking news" that MLS officials met with Alex Fischer and CP last month? The same meeting that was talked about here weeks ago?

Seriously, what the hell is going on here. I know that we are supposed to be so thankful for our Dispatch journalists and the several opinion pieces (all of which have rehashed the same points). But after sitting on the initial story 6 months ago and waiting for Precourt's blessing to release it, I think they lose the benefit of the doubt here.

I'm so tired of this shit....

Minnman, MLSinSTL, svc641 and 7 others repped this.
  14. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Obviously I was referring the municipal aka govt handout part.....they want to keep Austin on it's toes so they don't lose out on the once in a lifetime offer......they are already doing a good job with their less than stellar fan support

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am trying to catch up.

Garber’s comments - do we have anything to go on besides a Tweet?

Does the Dispatch have some reason to delay? Do they just not have verified sources?

16. Groundd

Groundd Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

To be fair Erickson said Garber clarified his quote to mean we have bad municipal support historically.

987082936771072002 is not a valid tweet id

17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not catch that. Even when Garber is half correct, I still want him to be wholly wrong.

Like if Garber said historically fast food was bad for you. He might be sort of correct. But then I would thoroughly enjoy the Swensons we are having tonight, and tell Garber to ******** off.

Timon19 and hardhead repped this.
  18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did the original journalist or anyone else who was in the room with Garber claim that Garber said historically, or is this Erickson spinning it? Cause there is really no back up there in Erickson's tweet, only an, "As I understand it...."

19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should ask Garber if he needs context for my middle finger.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  20. Groundd

Groundd Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He said in another tweet that the comment was clarified for him.

So you have to take his word for it.

21. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did anyone read the Dispatch story about the meeting? He said both Mark Abbott and Andrew Fischer confirmed to him today that they met last month. That’s a confirmation from the league that there was a meeting. Abbott even said it went well. Mixed message from MLS on that one.
    Maybe Mark Abbott could stop playing Donny G’s little bitch and save the crew. Might lead to a better job for him in the future.

hardhead and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  22. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11222 soundermiki, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    I've also been reminded that today's deadline was the result of the plaintiffs agreeing to extend the previous deadline to give PSV/MLS more time to respond.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draghignazzo and shoplifter repped this.
  23. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want a tin-foil conspiracy explanation for this delay, try this one I just made up:

Maybe MLS and potential local ownership asked that this news be kept quiet while MLS owners did their due diligence and tried to decide whether this was a legitimate offer or not. So as not to get Crew fans hopes up, and create possibly unrealistic expectations.

If thats the case, the "release" of the news today could be a sign that MLS owners have collectively decided that the potential new ownership is legit.

24. Groundd

Groundd Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Which could have been discussed at the BoG meeting Tuesday...

Pauncho, Draghignazzo and shoplifter repped this.
  25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly if I were just a run-of-the-mill sports fan reading that Disptach article, I would think that things looked pretty decent for Crew to stay in Columbus.

Unfortunately I have this thread and how many years of historical context to not fill the glass too much. Still not looking to discuss champagne choices, gentlemen.