Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless that includes MLS execs or MLS owners, those big time players can meet all they want and nothing will happen.

Those folks should have stepped up when the team was first for sale. But they didn't.

StatesideSoccer repped this.
  2. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Well this explains why we have seen silence about this team for the past couple years.

Im done with MLS and this team. Got much better options watching the European teams I like.

Im surprised but at the same time not surprised. We got Major Leagued.

3. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Yes, it's been a theme throughout the season, particularly around the all-star break when Meram and Ola both rightly vented their spleen about not getting their due. Hell, Ola's been saying it basically since he walked through the door.

I've also noticed in recent weeks on Majorleaguesoccersoccer.com weekly statements like "the team nobody is watching" and the like ever since we got this current run up and going. In fact, almost every reference to the team has been of this variety.

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm going to be a pedant here because it will make me feel slightly less terrible: it's a bit misleading to say that Columbus is the one that is growing; it IS, and pretty fast, but the metro area of Cleveland also is (and I believe also Cincinnati's). Columbus is unique in Ohio for having weaker suburbs than the other 5 or so major metro areas, thus the main city has more land area in fringey high-growth areas.

5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MSA accounts for suburbs. Columbus, and its suburbs, are growing at 7%, Cincy at 2% (the hills really cut off a lot of growth), and Cleveland has lost 1%.

Minnman repped this.
  6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll also note that some of this is the fans fault. I don't know how many times we heard folks on this board stating that they would not buy tickets until the owner did X, Y, and/or Z or if the team was losing. Well, you won't have to worry about that anymore.

Me? I swore I'd not bury another team/league if there was anything I could do about it (I go back to the old Atoms in the original NASL). That turned out not to be enough, sadly.

7. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is dead to me now. I hope the attendance numbers are worse than Chivas USA if we get a playoff game and next season.

It was nice knowing y'all.

8. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Which, is only a "slice of the core", mind.

Jokes aside, I'm not sure I could disagree any more with your assertion. Casuals or would-be fans? Yes. Core supporters? No chance, or certainly not big enough worth apportioning any blame.

To this end, in recent years I've often wondered how it could be that certain Columbus residents (and IMO it's a considerable number) that so openly look to emulate a modern city like Portland don't turn out in droves for this team the way the exact same demographic turns out in droves to see the Timbers.

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is the first time I've seen the MSA number go down for Cleveland in a while. That's a real surprise. I wonder if the CSA shows any different.

10. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    I see your point, but disagree. It was obvious to many Precourt was not investing much into this team. The marketing has been poor, if you watch a game on tv the broadcast quality is terrible..I could go on. To prove my point he isnt invested in this team, look at the timing of this news. If they went far into playoffs or won the cup thatd be a pretty dent in his plan.

Columbus is overconsumed by the Buckeyes which hurts.

Now of course I wont be renewing next year, because why the hell would I give sleezeball Precourt money. The writing was on the wall so you cant blame fans for not investing in a team that was always going to turn around and leave.

I said to many the day Precourt took over was the beginning of the end. Read the article about the Hunt group being weary of him, look at the stay in Columbus except Austin move clause, etc.

Think we know why Higuians future was uncertain.

My future of following this joke league is very certain. Not going to happen. If Precourt dare mentions in his press conference this will help US soccer grow then I am not sure how a person in Austin would wanna support a team backed by this clown.

All we can do is chant / protest agaist Precourt. Make it well known we do not like this guy especially at any remaining home games.

stanger repped this.
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that it will go back up next year.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Austin has a lot more hipsters, so key start-up demographic is sorted - until artisan beekeeping operations begin to cause their interest to wane to MLS 1.0 levels.

13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also like the idea that they're going to piss off San Antonio's fans. It's a 90-minute drive from one city to the other. Do they think that thousands will make that drive? Hundreds?

14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad a Columbus Crew existed to have met you, my friend.

crew2112, THOMA GOL, TrueCrew and 2 others repped this.
  15. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he bought beer and hung out with us!

16. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it occurs to me that there might never ever be a Crew home game ever again.

If we lose on the road in the playoffs and the Crew leave for Austin now instead of having a lame duck year, the final MLS game in Columbus could have been 2 weeks ago.

That said, if we do get a home playoff game, cheer your throat hoarse for the players and curse the hell out of the owner.

Ch(Elsey), TRUJDUB and ZipSix repped this.
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what happened. We all do.

Precourt visited Austin once when he was younger and fell in love with it. He wanted to bring a team there when he got rich off daddy. He saw Columbus as his way into a sports league and took it. The league told him to wait on Austin, because soccer in the South wasn't succeeding. Then Orlando and Atlanta showed it could be done. He had some shitty statistician conduct a survey in Austin and showed hypothetical fans for a team there. Game, set, match.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  18. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll know a lot more after they meet.

jairadballerina and cleazer repped this.
  19. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    On the 20th anniversary of Crew Stadium (******** mapfre) the team will be gone. Glad I havent given the trust fun kid any more money.

Crew Cat repped this.
  20. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Yeah! That'll show him!

21. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like I've spent my last dollar on this team. No way I'll go to a playoff game if I get one, and they can all go ******** themselves next year. Might as well move them now, I can't see anyone going to support a lame duck team next year.

Crew Cat repped this.
  22. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    In likelihood there will be a lame duck year. I almost wonder what Higuian knew with the paraphrasing here, "Not sure what my future is in Columbus. I maybe in the US, but maybe not Columbus." Then a one year deal is reached. Interesting. He has openly stated he loves the city, so maybe he was not interested in moving with Precourt and the gang. Ill bet Will Trapp will have similar feelings.

Crew Cat repped this.
  23. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing in a nutshell.

This was the plan all along. We've been had.

Precourt is a lying piece of shit and I hope he dies screaming.

24. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    slapped this together with my measly skills...
    [​IMG]

Robbo Crewfan, TRUJDUB, odave and 3 others repped this.
  25. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be humorous/sad to see a possible MLS Cup this season in front of 1,000 people.

Chesco United and Robbo Crewfan repped this.