Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Phrasing!

Draghignazzo and American Brummie repped this.
  2. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been here all along, but I'd gladly take a Manhattan.

I know they've touted that number, but apparently they have a spreadsheet that shows it broken down. They'll have to "show your work" as I say to my son when looking at his math homework. The city will want property taxes if they gift the property. Precourt would love to lease the property at below market value and not pay any property taxes (wow, just like he has here!). Negotiations will start there. My point is that he very likely needs more than just the land and the city has every incentive to give him the land, they don't have much to do any more than that. So, the fact that they've settled on the site is no reason for doom and gloom.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe so.

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Possibly Texas has some special law on disposing of publicly owned land, but most likely they can give it to Precourt or sell it to him for $1. It's already been through environmental remediation but will require some infrastructure upgrades to host a stadium. They also are talking about moving the rail station closer.

When privately owned it would become taxable property so PSV will most likely ask for tax abatements in addition to the improvements needed in the area.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That presumes that MLS wants anything at all to do with Columbus. I'm not sure that's true--especially if Cincy gets a team--when they will find out that selling 30K tickets at $5-10 each (and I do give them a lot of credit for that) is not quite the same thing as selling the same seats at $30-50 a pop. While it is an NFL town (which may be the only "metric" ML:S is looking at), it's smaller than Columbus, already has major competition for the summer sports dollar in the Reds (whose tickets tend to be on the lower end of MLB's price scale, meaning that Cincy fans are likely to expect the same from MLS), and is not growing anywhere near as fast as Columbus. MLS has really poisoned the market with their public statements and actions. Cincy may be hard pressed to get any state money given that Cleveland legislators have long
    memories and Central Ohio legislators are not likely to approve anything for MLS if the Crew move. Unless they go MLS2KY.;)

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, except I fear that Austin as a major league sports virgin will buy PSV's line of "I'll still respect you in the morning"

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Roy straight up with a twist.

Nor would they seem likely to try very hard.

Which is why, all of a sudden, PSV building a "world class" stadium is going to bring them$400 million in fantasyland dollars.

It will be hilarious to see them explain where all of it will come from. I can barely wait.

Not even remotely.Precourt is still going to need Austin to come up with millions one way or another - and certainly for infrastructure- and there would seem to be almost no local sentiment which would be in favor of that.

And of course that leaves aside the fact that, as many people have noted, nobody is going to sign any kind of contract with Fratboy until they know he's clear of Mike DeWine, who seems to be in a feisty mood.

No cause for gloom at all. Get some popcorn instead cause watching Suttle lie for his dinner will be a riot..

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be hard to do that as it is already 2018 last I looked. Unless you are using a Jewish or Islamic calendar....

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to play on a field like that up in Worthington off Indianola.

10. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but anything over and above the property will have political consequences.

There was a NIMBY factor when a homeless RV park was proposed for the site. There may not be quite as much for a stadium but it is likely to be greater than 0. Add in giving MORE than just the site and that factor rises.

11. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Don't forget that the property has very little in the way of city services. The article stated that work on moving a water line in after an explosion occurred. So, someone needs to build in infrastructure for electricity and water, roads for entry and exit, sidewalks, and a parking lot in addition to the stadium.

City Councilwoman Leslie Pool (whose district this site lies in) has been vocally skeptical about even providing the land to PSV. She's delayed the discussion until the end of April. AND she's publicly stated that the city should not pay for any of the infrastructure costs.

How in the hell does PSV pay for this? This is obviously where Precourt's notion of "local investment partners" comes in. Yep. Mmm hmmm. If we assume Ohio doesn't get a preliminary injunction (a huge assumption) in time, how does all this get done in time for the team to move by 2019?

TKyle and don gagliardi repped this.
  12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    [​IMG]

Spreadsheet, my ass. This group of owners is used to getting everything handed to them from cities they are truly baffled by the road blocks they have encountered. It's obvious by now they expected a huge bag of goodies and have no plan B.

shoplifter and svc641 repped this.
  13. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    That second article.... Yeesh.... Even the link to the Ohio law article was wrong (went to San Antonio).

I was bored enough to actually hunt down the article he meant to reference. Wow, that was Rosy-Colored Glasses optimism.

"They could sell them the team and then not let them play in MLS!" I am sure that more than a few judges would see that as not selling a professional sports team then...

14. TomB

TomB Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Their parallel path (Plan B - City of Columbus) has or is blowing up in their face.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I was in Cincinnati for a party last weekend and most of the folks there attend a few FCC games. Not one wanted to see them replaced with MLS. They like the cost and all the restaurants/bars in the area. They also aren't fans of MLS shenanigans and realize they would be a have not.

16. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    But Court-Jest hired the best financial team on two wheels
    bikechimp.jpg Meet Mr. Smoken Mears - Genius

17. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sorry was reading/thinking 2019 on all these

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understandable... But I was puzzled there for a minute.

19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8144 Ch(Elsey), Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Truman’s one-handed economist.

Crewmudgeon, Pauncho and TheRealBilbo repped this.
  20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, one big problem we have is that while everybody claims to understand that this is a war, whenever the other side does anything besides curl up in a fetal position and suck their thumbs everybody starts pricing cyanide capsules.

Precourt had a terrible week going, what with the DeWine filing and Crewsmas generating some enthusiasm and so he -or more likely the PR people - came back by trying to step on the news with this McKalla "announcement" which of course contains no news at all:

FratAss is excited about the possibilities at McKalla. He looks forward to further review and the exciting prospect of blah blah blah blah blah. It's nothing. It's just noise. And halfof you went looking for the fainting couch. What a bunch of little girl blouses.

Look, people, as I said before, this is getting uglier by the week and is most definitely going to get even uglier before it's over.

If you want to fight this despicable piece of garbage, great, welcome to the fight. But if every time Precourt or Suttle or one of their bought-and-paid-for stooges at the Statesman American writes something or says something you're going to need therapy and people around here have to spend a day or two patting you on the head, drying your tears and turning on the lights to prove there's nothing under the bed or in the closet, then screw it. It's not worth it having to drag you mopes around like anchors.

My advice would be to pull on some big boy pants and if you can't figure out how to help then at least make an effort to recognize the game here.

ZipSix, Draghignazzo, Adrian and 13 others repped this.
  21. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    CCTV footage of the MLS Lawyer at the moment DeWine requests the league's financial records as part of the Discovery process...
    [​IMG]

TRUJDUB, Dan Milton, chr1st and 3 others repped this.
  22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you accidentally copy and pasted your post from earlier in the week.

Crewmudgeon and Timon19 repped this.
  23. Jonathan Lusch

Nov 13, 2017
    uknown
    I’m new here, sort of, so don’t roast me—at least not yet.

According to Mike Duffey, AP is not going to be here in any sort of way. Then what is AP’s end game? All in on Austin or sell 100%?

He just doesn’t want to sell, and other than our vague law, he won’t unless forced to. Would the league step in a force him to sell, or to reason with him? I don’t think so bc it seems that owners like him in their own little circle (just referring to two that I know really) and wouldn’t force their buddy to sell.

Someone present me with a counter argument bc this is what is bouncing around in my head every day.

CrewV Man and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  24. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I keep seeing these FC Cincinnati tickets offered in internet forums, but wonder where I can buy them. The seats I get are $20 after the 20% discount from OSSRC. I get those because the ones that list for $30 are sold out.

Now, they do offer general admission seats in the south end zone for $10, but I liken those to the bleacher seats that the Reds offer in left field at GAPB for something like $6.

Now, Crew ticket prices aren't much higher. I think I was paying something like $30 two years ago just outside the Nordeke.

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That ********ing Andrew King and his tweeting lies.

Puppies and rainbows, dude. Sweetest, nicest people you will ever know.