Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    The first MLS team to do it twice...

[​IMG]

2. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about y'all..... but there are moments, like right this very second, for me where I really have a hard time processing all this. It's almost just too surreal.

723 days ago, Precourt, Greeley, & Loughnane confirmed Wahl's tweet and sent pretty much ALL of our lives into a tizzy. The next 365 days were some of the most stressful days of my life (only to be replaced by a work merger). A year ago, we learned the league and the Haslam/Edwards families were in "serious" talks. And 10 months ago, new operating interests were installed.

We went from cruising down the highway in a 1999 Ford Crown Vic, to having it completely break down, be carless for awhile, and now we're getting a brand new (insert favorite high end car brand here).

It just seems so improbable. I still can't believe it all happened, and in fashion that it happened.

And don't get me wrong.... I started to TRULY believe it would happen around June/July '18. But it's still all so surreal.

I hope each and everyone of you in attendance today, or watching the stream from where ever you are, or unable to watch but there in spirit, enjoy every single moment of the festivities today. At the risk of sounding like entitled fans, I'll say this: WE DESERVE TODAY.

I pulled out my old Hardhat with the 1999 stadium inaugural season sticker on it, dusted it off, and will wear it proudly today.

To quote Hang, and I mean this will all sincerity and respect:

#onelove

3. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I am wrong

4. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for whatever scientific reason, have a hard time remember events as well as I remember things I read or hear. I really have to focus on stopping and taking things in or else I'll have no recollection of the vast majority of it. For example: I have no recollection of anything about my wedding day other than kissing my wife and seeing my long-divorced parents joking together. I also don't remember Chad Marshall dunking on McBride, even though I was in the first row of the Nordecke and saw it happen. My brain hates me.

But today is a day that I want to keep with me forever, and I'll work hard to never forget those shovels hitting the ground.

shoplifter, Tobias C, Kryptonite and 7 others repped this.
  5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To all of you lucky people who get to attend the historical event today, take it all in. Enjoy every moment. Be in those moments. For all that has been said, all the work that has been done, all the tears that have been shed.

We were lucky to land in such capable and caring hands (Doc). To have a grand stewardess in the lovely Dee. To have each other during the epic lows and highs.

I will be lucky if I get to stream the event today (I should be able to..). I wish I could say I was jealous of you lucky people, but I only feel immense joy on this day.

Over all these years we have built a family, a community. Celebrate.

6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The stream will be on the team website i assume . Hopefully i won’t be between Ashland, Ky and Jackson , Because there is no cell reception on rt 93 on my way to Athens

7. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Archer repped this.
  8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the whole saga unfold from the west coast. The time difference meant that every morning I would wake up and check to see what happened that morning on the east coast news cycle, Twitter or BS. I flew back for a game last year as to have one more game in the old stadium. Once the team was officially sold I thought well I guess it wasn’t my last game at Crew Stadium. With today’s shovel ceremony it’s very much likely that game is still my last game. Instead of being an eternally sad moment it gets to be a chapter in the continued story of my fandom.

Oh and I get to be in Austin, Texas and shovels hit the ground. What a crazy little world we all live in.

zman31 and RafaLarios repped this.
  9. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Man, for some reason I thought those shovels would be bigger. Still cool though.

It's pretty great to see pictures of people on social media breaking out coffee mugs with the original crest or wearing the old hard hat jerseys, or even actual hard hats for the occasion. Pretty fantastic.

Soak it all in. It's a good day.

MLSinSTL and LaMacchia repped this.
  12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Links? I managed to remember how to log in to Twitter, but I did not see any of that.. I clicked on the Crew96 hashtag...

13. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    An hour before the gates open....looks like there's going to be a few people in attendance.

[​IMG]

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I didn't save the links. That would be too much clutter.

I will say that one extremely handsome and often reasonable poster (that should narrow it down by dozens) here did post a picture of his mug and an original logo mug early this morning. It was good to see.

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My one request would be tons of photos from posters who are at the event.

16. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    I wonder who you could be referring to....

17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is quite a photo.

18. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
  19. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
  20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine how disappointed everyone is going to be when its announced that this is " an active construction site" and so people wont be allowed in.

shoplifter, RafaLarios, Tobias C and 7 others repped this.
  21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy lines, Batman.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems there were reasonable parking and transportation options that didn’t require walking over a mile.

Tobias C, Kryptonite and Jim Bach repped this.
  23. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview with Porter coming up on the pre-show!