Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    If the team were building a state of the art training facility in the suburbs, it could easily cost as much as $50 mil. The plan currently is to use Mapfre and build some new facilities at the SW corner for team use. The whole project includes buying an additional 9 acres of fairground land and transferring that, along with the current 15 acres to city ownership. It seems to me that just filling in the drainage basin west of Mapfre, where new fields will go, will be expensive. Then add in the new fieldhouse for public use.

The city seems to think the Mapfre redevelopment, along with stadium related infrastructure in the Arena district can be done for $50 mil. Maybe. We should also remember that Dee Haslam pledged $30 mil to the Columbus parks and recreation department over 30 year for programming at the new Mapfre complex.

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should assume that these deals are just as murky and complex in every other city, too. So much so that you'd need to dedicate a big chunk of your life to disentangle the way each project was funded and their varying costs in order to develop a true apples-to-apples comparison between stadium projects.

I mean, we can toss around the stat that Banc of California Stadium cost $350M, but I have little idea what that really means. In 2015, it was announced as a $250M stadium (originally, it was announced a s $150M stadium). But what goes into those $250M/$350M totals? Cost of land? Public infrastructure costs? I have no idea.

But I do know it's an amazing stadium. And we've been led to believe ours will be, too.

zman31 repped this.
  3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
  4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beat me to it!

Sounds like there's a lot of work to be done re: the entire Mapfre site.

And that asshole Adams got his name in the paper yet again. Says he's a "Columbus resident." I thought he lived in Dublin or something.

Highlights:

- As you noted, they want 40 acres for the whole project; a big expansion. No idea if that'll fly;
    - Mapfre would get artificial turf;
    - It implies the whole project "would be financed with $50 million in city tax dollars — $12 million for infrastructure and $38 million for the new community authority..." That just doesn't make sense to me.
    - Parking and the actual use of the community sports park seem like the biggest issues.

Doesn't sound anywhere near close to being decided yet.

5. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrueCrew, TKyle, Belgrano and 1 other person repped this.
  6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably so it can be more easily used for HS pointy ball....

7. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly would open up access to city HS Soccer teams which would be a good thing.

8. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It actually looks similar to the version 2 of the plan we saw earlier this year.

Yes, the original proposal called for B&G Drive to be relocated, a huge indoor facility, larger fields. But that was scaled back some months ago (I'll try and find the article, renderings): no more indoor field, it had become some BB courts; B&G, as-is, remained the southern boundary; fewer community fields.

This feels very iffy to me. Not sure why.

TrueCrew repped this.
  10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can read CBF, the original Mapfre project rendering is show here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbu...makeover-how-the-city-plans-to-redevelop.html

In June, buried in this article, were updated renderings of the Mapfre site that showed a much smaller project:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbu...ment-plan-set-for-233m-crew-stadium-with.html

11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    \
    The surprising thing is the elimination of the full size indoor soccer field. The team does preseason at Superkick but has long complained that it's not big enough and can't play full field. There's one thing that does makes some sense for the club - I believe the DA has a winter futsal league. So having their own hard court gym space onsite would benefit academy. But I just think a full sized indoor field is a necessary not just for the team but for the greater soccer community.

TyphonInc repped this.
  12. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears the construction cam is gone from crewstadium.com.

Anyone know anything?

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still seems to be on the main Crew site though...

14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know that link existed, so thanks.

Unfortunately, it's not working. Link goes to a video that won't load.

15. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    construction cam is under construction.

Kryptonite and LaMacchia repped this.
  16. Belgrano

Belgrano Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Frankly, our construction cam game lags behind some others. I dunno if it's been pointed out here, but (f*ck me for bringing this up...) Austin's cam page is pretty nifty: https://app.truelook.com/?u=as1567715491#tl_live

The cameras are at a higher framerate, you can look back through the history of the construction, and it auto-generates a time lapse video.

17. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    '

Just taking it offline while they move Hoffa's body to its most updated location. Nothing to see here.

kgilbert78, DGA57v2 and Kryptonite repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with that, I just had a horrible flashback to when The Crew's online team shop was "down for maintenance" for several years in a row.

19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look very very closely and you can see an actual downtown/urban core. JEEZUS that really puts it into perspective. I can see downtown Columbus from my 9th floor office in Worthington and it is closer than that. That camera makes it look like its as far away as Sunbury. Two chins took whatever free land he could get. Why a financial institution would ever loan that dude a nickel to put a stadium on that site, it beyond me. It F'ing sucks - full stop.

[​IMG]

20. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Orlando had a pretty good construction cam. It had 2 angles from the same location high on a building. The time lapse option was always fun to watch. Maybe the Crew are working on something better. Current location cuts off half the site. But hey, I’ll take what I can get.

21. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bill Archer, cleazer and soccerncbus repped this.
  22. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium cancelled!

I heard they're building a Panda Express on that land instead.

23. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    WhiteHartShame and hungariansteven repped this.
  25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus Partnership proposes private foundation to support Ohio Expo Center and State Fair

Not a lot of news here. Just some background on efforts to move ahead at the Mapfre site. Basically, the article talks about the Columbus Partnership's efforts to work toward a solution by proposing a new nonprofit foundation which:

The CP doesn't have an official role here. It's just to help get to a final deal that everyone is happy with.