Crew @ Seattle Flounders (amirite!?!) | Match 10 | May 5, 2018 4:00 PM EDT

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, May 2, 2018.

?

What will be the result of 05/05/18 match @ Seattle?

Poll closed May 5, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

25.7%
  2. Win by one goal

14.3%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

20.0%
  4. Lose by one goal

14.3%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

8.6%
  6. Pedro draws four or more fouls (worth 2 points!!)

11.4%
  7. "We're winning the xG Warz, son. Strap in!" - Ola Kamara

5.7%
  1. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Someone's still fuming that Roma got bootstomped by Liverpool and is misdirecting his anger.

If we'd not been down a man early, I'd have repped this, but yeah even though Seattle is that bad a clean sheet and a point on the road playing down a man is absolutely a good result. I figured you'd at least be singing the praises that we're free of Santos for at least one match and be petitioning the disciplinary committee for a 3 game ban.

Minnman repped this.
  2. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    @Smithsoccer1721, any news to report on this front?

TKyle repped this.
  3. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on.
    Re-read this post in October. It will ring true then as well.

Bill Archer repped this.
  4. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.
    I also believe the #1 spot as keeper for the USMNT is his to lose.
    He needs to shave his head in the tradition of Keller, Friedel, Howard, and Guzan.

5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any save the Crew chants?

Draghignazzo repped this.
  6. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I didn't hear any on TV, but I was deathly ill yesterday, but forced myself out of bed and onto the couch for this game. I might have (read: absolutely did) fallen asleep for stretches and missed it.

7. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    KHT rewarded
    [​IMG]

Jaybir, SLSHOT01, redi44crew and 2 others repped this.
  8. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    yep totally agree. If Hansen was available (not sure) please put him at striker instead of John..geez..

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Respectfully disagree. #SaveTheHair.

10. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I could not even hear the commentary and new it was a red card. Cleats to face equals red card.

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  11. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    I thought red card was the correct call. I was not unhappy with a tie after that. The Crew play well together. Are we a better team without a few of the DP's?
    The Crew only have one problem that I can see. They can't regularly finish. When they learn to make the final pass into the net, they will be on their way.

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  12. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both sides have a reasonable argument. Zardes should have finished and even down the player there were enough chances to steal a goal and come out with three points. However, the ejection was early which forced an early substitution and the team played very strongly and well after that and coming out with a point on the road is not a bottle of suck it is a point and if anybody on Seattle had the ability to finish it would be zero points.

13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I has several respectful conversation with fans. A few new the basic idea that AP was trying to move the team and they figured owners get what they want so they aren’t expecting Columbus to stay in Columbus. I did have some fans behind me that were trying to explain to their friend why the team would move and the problem with that. Lots of “they are an original” and “part of the leagues foundation” comments thrown around.

Generally everyone was nice (Seattle is pretty much non-confrontational in general). I saw maybe another 6-7 Crew fans during my time around then stadium. Was a beautiful day for a soccer game.

TKyle and Draghignazzo repped this.
  14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. The one banner that was floating around via twitter was the only mention of #savethecrew

15. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props for pulling yourself to the couch for the game.
    (Does that help garner votes for Realest Fan?)
    Hope you’re feeling better!

16. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the Cartman two-stick!

SLSHOT01 repped this.
  17. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s the international mark of the great American keeper.
    It’s tradition!

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This team now has now played the most games in the East the lowest ppg of any team in the East's top 6. Also Toronto has 3 games in hand on us and you have to believe that they will eventually be in the top 6.

It's early, but there is little margin for error. This is why it's not good to drop points to a league bottom team regardless of how many men are on the field.

19. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a disappointing result. Regardless of the red card, we had 3 of the 4 best chances in the game and came away without a goal. It's the kind of 2 points left on the field that can haunt you at the end of the season. Seattle sucks, we were better than them all day and should have won.

I don't think the red card was questionable at all. As soon as I saw the replay I said that if they go to video review it's going to be a red. The initial play was awkward, but not likely card worthy if the ref saw it, that extra kick to the chin was the offense. Once the ref got a look, there just isn't anything else to do there but send Santos off.

Two more games against not so good teams are on the docket, six points are a must.

hangthadj repped this.
  20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Totally agree with this. After this week's games we go on the road for two games and then June's schedule is a bear. Granted we have 3 home games in a row to start June but a month of playing Red Bull, Toronto, Atlanta and LAFC is brutal. Even RSL to end the month will be no pushover.

21. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry this is a very late reply, but I don't understand your point of view.

Afful obviously dove. Diving is a scourge on the sport and you can't expect the referee to be omniscient. We should be happy when the league punishes cheaters, even if the cheaters momentarily got away with it.

Draghignazzo and chr1st repped this.
  22. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And even if the cheaters are on our team.

23. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we using the term "mid-table" for the MLS? It is a pro/rel [whispered] concept and not relevant to the MLS. No one cares about when teams are mid-table or safe from relegation. For MLS the regular season:

- There is Shield Winner which is excellent but has not been highly improbable for most teams. If you want a team that is always at the top, be a Bayern or PSV fan otherwise it is always a crap shoot.

- There is playoff teams which is nice. And gives the team the chance at the MLS cup. Because we all know the best team does not always win the MLS cup.

- And then there is the battle to the bottom for draft picks which no one really cares about.

So for 80% of the teams, it is all about the playoffs in the MLS. I am much more concerned about a loss at home than a tie away, down a man. And the tie is at least an improvement over the terrible cellar dweller 0-1 DCU and Chicago games.

And still that concern pale in comparison to my concern for our childish owner taking the team to Austin and what that means for not only soccer in Ohio but in the United States.

24. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    I just don't get the overreaction over one game where we traveled 1000+ miles, to play down a man on turf, while resting 3 starters on a week with three games, to earn a draw on the road. Keeping a clean sheet, even against a team that shoot, is a huge accomplishment in these settings. Now if we only get 2-3 points this week then it is a big problem, but don't over-analyze this game at Seattle as a make or break decision of how good or bad this team is this year. After all that is why we play regular season games.

Should we have won? Yes

Was it a poor performance? No

#SaveTheCrew

BringBackGino repped this.
  25. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang: I'm a full kit, scarf and boot wearing member of the Sunshine Brigade

Also Hang: If you think getting a point on the road down a man for 75 minutes is a good then you accept mediocrity and don't understand soccer.

Those two statements...... don't jive.

Listen, if we were 11v11 for 90 minutes and drew 0-0, I'd be in your camp. But come on, no matter how good you are, if you go down to 10 men with 75 minutes left, you take a 0-0 draw ten times out of ten and move on.

Should we have won, yeah probably, but I don't hold that against them too much. We have 3 games in 8 days. 7 points from those games is a win.

KCbus and BringBackGino repped this.