Crew - Rapids Pregame

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kaiser kraut, Aug 8, 2002.

1. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to post this under the USOC postgame thread, but since this question pretains to our upcoming match, I figured I won't beat around the bush and just start this thread.

If McBride's ankle is bad enough that he can't start against the Rapids, what do you think of pairing Dante and Jeff up top? Or would getting Buddle in there be preferred?

I think somebody also mentioned that Martino got knocked around and might be hurt? Is this true? It would be terrible if both Martino and Perez were hurt... however that might make room for Garcia to finally get into a game.

Let's see if we can keep riding this wave of recent results and hold on for a win this time against the Rapids rather than giving up in the 88th minute.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dante/jeff with buddle in for dante around the 60th minute. or mcbride if he's better.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This will be a tough game I fear. I'm sure Hankinson has ripped into his players after the open cup loss and they will be out for blood here. I'd sit McBride this one if there is any chance that his injury isn't healed. Titus is a bit of a thug, and I'd rather have him healthy for the in divison games v the Fire later and the Open Cup games. I would love to see Buddle get a start with Jeff as Buddle seemed to have a good showing in England. His confidence is most likely pretty high. Dante can be a secind half sub.
    I would like a draw outta this game, but I'm not sure its possible. Torres is definately out due to caution points (yep, again) so any consistency we had with starters in our backline and midfield will be thrown away as Denton will probably start somehwere. Of Course it'd be nice to see Denton maybe start at left back and Garcia at left mid, but thats as likely as kaiser kraut starting in goal.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No Mastroeni for Rapids - caution points
    No Spencer either - Injury?

5. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing on MLS' website -- however, I guess that really doesn't mean anything does it?

Also, still no Garlick. He had some sweet saves against us the other week. Hopefully Colorado will have to do without!

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Some guys on teh Rapids board were mentioning no Spencer but I don't know why, and thats the reason for the question mark after injury. If that little troll Carrierri scores on us again I'll be pissed. Can't stand that guy.

But the most important player missing the game is definately McBride who isn't even making the trip according to the Dispatch. The Injury may be more serious than we care to think.

7. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    The monumental mugging Titus gave McBride in the last game needs to be addressed by the league. The Persistent Infrinegment calls in WC '02 seemed to keep the pace up and keep the Titus thugs from fouling McB, and others, out of the game. McB and the other "target" forwards are more vulnerable as somewhat stationary targets with their backs to the defenders.

Perhaps we need an enforcer similar to Hockey, but I got tired of seeing Titus make flagrant physical fouls to to take Brian out of the play and breakup counters.

Has the league or FIFA made the persistent foul an emphasis area Bill? If not it needs to be done.

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as a matter of fact they have. "Directives" issue forth regularly urging the Cadre of officialdom to "protect" the skill players from the hacks since it really degrades the caliber of the game as a whole if all the better players are on crutches and the fans have to pay to watch the thugs.

Even down into the older teenaged age groups, and certainly in High School, you will often see guys taking turns hacking the opponent's star forward. I verbally warn after the third time: "Lay off #10 guys or somebody's leaving the game" and the yellow comes out next time, no matter who does it. And frankly, if it happens again, they aren't going to like having pissed me off.

It's what they want us to do, but it doesn't seem to translate to MLS. McBride and others take frightful beatings on a regular basis.

My preferred solution is to have injuries reviewed, and if, for example, the bludgeoning Brian took from CJ Brown earlier this year ends up with him being sidelined for a week, then the film is reviewed. And if a panel of ex-players and officials judges that the foul was completely intentional, as in this case, then the fouling player is suspended without pay for the period of time the player he injured is out.

This crap is wrecking the game.

9. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I was particularly watching Titus after I saw McBride go horizontal about 20 yards off the ball. He appears to be most vulnerable since he's in the air more and is not as physically strong as Dante in the hold and redistribute role.

CJ, Eck, kubick, and a few others were infamous in this role. Perhaps Mad Dog McCarty can fill this role on our team. Dunseth appears to be more finesse minded.

I REALLLLLY miss T-Bone.

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I hate to have it come down to this shit but if it's hockey they want, fine.

Everybody gets a thug of their own and it's clearly understood - you injure MY star player and YOUR star player is going down too.

McCarty will do fine in the role. Only when the other teams know you're serious will they back off. If there's no penalty to be paid, then BMB is gonna keep getting mugged by talentless clods.

11. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    According to this morning's Dispatch, McBride is out with the ankle injury. Dante and Jeff will start up top.

12. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    I just told St. Patrick and he's swearing in English and Norwegian (the latter of which I taught him and I now regret doing so).

See ya at chat tonight.

13. MockaMooDoe

MockaMooDoe New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    The TROLL scored and had the assist on the game winner --Player Hater !!!!

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    fukk you bitch

15. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    He might have scored (damn it TP, if you venture out, get the damn ball) but he was also a PUNK, throwing a Crew player into the boards after he was already in bounds.

And what was up with the studs up tackles?

Props to the Rapids. They took advantage of their chances, the Crew did not :(.

And y'all see what happens when you let Sideshow Bob just venture down the field unchallenged for about 20 or 30 yards... you will pay the price.

16. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Trashy fouls by what has become a trashy team. Too bad there may be no return match in CCS this year. Palacios & carrieri seem to think they are thugs.

Bring the pipsqueaks back. We'll set Mad Dog and and Clark on the Punks. Plus we'll have the fans all over them...