Crew players at CUSA's (Centerville, OH) "Soccer Rocks"

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Flyer Fan, May 7, 2008.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
  2. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. CrewDuff

CrewDuff Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Eastgate
    Nothing like sending our reserve team somewhere so they can command an appearance fee to supplement their minimum-wage salaries.

4. C-Rons 7

C-Rons 7 New Member

May 6, 2008
    Columbus
    Good to see the team out in the community, even if it is Dayton. This is the kind of stuff they need to be doing every Saturday morning in Central Ohio.

5. producepimp

producepimp Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbus

Sorry but I disagree. Most of these guys have game day routines and most of these guys are very superstitious wish I could find it but Marcus Hahnemann gave a great description of what he does game day and it’s the same thing every game day, all the way down to how many Red Bulls he has, when his contacts go in, which sock goes on first, etc. So I’m not messing with anything game day. Now, reserves that are not going to play, maybe.

6. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am always pleased to see the team enjoy some time in the old Warm and Cheerful (a/k/a "the promised land"; a/k/a/ New Oakwood-Old Springboro)

7. C-Rons 7

C-Rons 7 New Member

May 6, 2008
    Columbus
    Sorry but I disagree. Most of these guys have game day routines and most of these guys are very superstitious wish I could find it but Marcus Hahnemann gave a great description of what he does game day and it’s the same thing every game day, all the way down to how many Red Bulls he has, when his contacts go in, which sock goes on first, etc. So I’m not messing with anything game day. Now, reserves that are not going to play, maybe.

* Have you looked in the stands this year? Just because a player is superstitious that doesn't mean he can't be out at a park for an hour showing his face on a Saturday morning shaking hands. I am not saying sacrifice any preparation but just be out in the community. Based on our draw at the gate it can't hurt. This I feel is part of a larger grassroots effort that will be needed to get the soccer community in Columbus to support this franchise.

8. Punch

Punch Member

May 18, 2007
    Worthington, OH
    They do something similar here in C-Bus. My kids have gone about once a year to Crew Stadium in the evening to do some drills, get autographs, and generally have a good time.

It's during the week, so no game-day ritual voodoo problems.

And, there's no doubt that they build a little good will. My 7 year old girl is still thrilled she got to hold Frankie's hand during some sort of game they played.

It's marketing on their part and I have no doubt contributes to some butts in seats.

They're going this Tuesday, weather permitting. Maybe I'll take a few pictures and post them somewhere.

9. producepimp

producepimp Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbus

Yup, I’ve seen the seats, I work at the stadium. And people will come out to see the Crew, but not this early and not when the wind was whipping around that stadium and it’s cold. Sorry but most people in this town will not sit out side for something like that unless it’s Buckeye Football. It’s the same thing every year and I don’t see why people don’t get it. Look at the Houston game, 15,000. You know why? Great weather and you had a soccer tournament that you had a bunch of teams come to the game afterwards. Until the weather turns around, you’re not going to get good crowds.

These guys are in the community all thru out the week, just not on game days. And there is a reason for that. I’m telling you, and man I searched for like 20 minutes for that Marcus article, some of these guy’s start their routine at 9 a.m. They like things to be calm. They want nothing different. They don’t do much before that game. I know for a fact that some players darn right refused to get out of their house before they need to go to the stadium, and you might ask how I know. I lived right down the street from one and became friends with the guy. And he wouldn’t leave to go anywhere. Hell, I had to bring him down milk one time for his cereal. And I know when I’m going to have a big day ahead of me; I will avoid any stress or distractions at any cost. And I don’t have big days all the time. They have one almost every week.

I think we all know these guys give more face time than any other sports team in this town. And maybe some of us have become spoiled at how much interaction we have with the players. But in no way do I think they should be made to go out on game day unless they want to.

10. namesaregone

namesaregone Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they got tickets for noise violations and speeding for going a mile over the speed limit.

/Bitter UD Student

11. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Just creep, man, just creep. The Killer Brownies at Dorothy Lane Market will still be there...

12. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    As was pointed out, the Crew have a long history of doing this very thing in Columbus, just during the week. Heck, Brian Dunseth found out about his trade to Dallas while at such a clinic.

In addition to these clinics or fun events, I know that players have been involved as trainers with certain clubs, too. When he played for Columbus I saw Jon Busch at a number of training sessions for the Ohio Premier goalkeepers.

13. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    working link

16. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Even in Zanesville?

17. C-Rons 7

C-Rons 7 New Member

May 6, 2008
    Columbus
    Interesting routine for Hahemanm, as anyone that has played will tell you they have a certain routine to how they go about getting ready for a game mentally and physically. Some are supersticious with how they put on their socks, for example, or some like Marcus just like to play Halo the night before and have scrambled eggs in the morning.

My original point isn't how they get ready for a game. It was that it is nice to see the players in the community doing something, anything, to promote this team. I understand reasons why people don't come out to games and everyone has touched on them (poor weather, crap team in the past, parking, etc. etc.) but I think doing more things like being at clinics can only help people come to more games. I would love to see the soccer community support this team in droves regardless of weather, if were top of the table or if were just .500, just to support the team and the game that we all love.

18. producepimp

producepimp Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbus
    No, your original point was you said they need to be out on the field every Saturday morning. Now you’re back peddling. Back to my point: Don't mess with game day.

Again,these players are in the community more than any other sports team in this city and have been for a long time. And I think we would all love to see the stadium filled every game but this town is fickle. When you’re start winning on a consistent basis, people will come. And if the Crew can keep it up, the Crew will be the hottest ticket in town. And it will carry over into the next year. I remember how it was in 99 and 2000. Good crowds. Just like right now, it’s hard to get a ticket to an OSU game. But when they have a down year, tickets can be gotten easy. It’s just the way this town is, plain and simple.

19. producepimp

producepimp Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbus
  20. Punch

Punch Member

May 18, 2007
    Worthington, OH
    Here are pictures of "Crew Soccer Rocks" in Crew Stadium.

http://punch.smugmug.com/gallery/4933750_L97y5#294968634_sybGw

Some of the players are really good with kids.

At the beginning, when they told the kids go just kick around on the field, it was a truly impressive sight of pandemonium. I wasn't set up to truly capture the moment.

21. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if im not mistaken, i think i just saw jason garey on the field

22. Punch

Punch Member

May 18, 2007
    Worthington, OH
    Yes Jason Garey.

Also Moreno, Ezra, Carroll, Hesmer, Gruenbaum, O'Rourke, Lenhart, Ekpo, Crew Cat, and of course the Dude. Maybe a few others I missed.

23. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Hejduk got a calf strain?

24. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, just trying to be like Allen Iverson.